Menu
Expat.com

Dog Meat Trade in Vietnam

Last activity 30 January 2015 by Priscilla

James
Jaitch wrote:

They ARE wanted - the carcases are rendered and used for making beauty soap and washing detergent.

Yeah, I kind of forgot about that gruesome little tidbit of information.   yikes.png

musicdog

Pride- it causes hate. It is so stubborn.
Hypocrite- everyone is an actor (this includes me of course)

Fred
Jaitch wrote:
mas fred wrote:

No Pork in mainly Muslims countries, and no beef on the menu in India.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation UN (FAO) report titled Livestock Information, Sector Analysis and Policy Branch says the [u]largest consumed meat in India is beef

That may well be true, or it may be a total cock up from that group, but my post is accurate.

wheres-the-beef-not-at-mcdonalds-india-mumbai.jpg?w=300&h=199

snake77

Mob justice claims another dog thief in northern Vietnam

A man was beaten to death, another severely injured and their bike burnt out last night by enraged villagers in northern Vietnam who accused them of stealing dogs.

According to police of Dong Trieu dist. in the northeastern province of Quang Ninh, the dead man was identified as Tran Van Kha, 35, while Bui Dinh Dang was hospitalised with multiple injuries. Both of them lived in Dong Trieu, the police said.

The police seized a home-made shotgun which allegedly belonged to the victims.
Initial investigations showed that local residents at Trieu Vu village, Dong Trieu dist., saw Kha and Dang stealing a dog in a house here at around 10 p.m. Friday.

Kha and Dang tried to flee on their bike, but were caught by the villagers after a short pursuit.
The vengeful mob tied up the suspects and kicked and pummelled them until local police arrived.
They also set fire to the duo’s bike.

The police said they are trying to identify those who involved in the beating.
They admitted that the task won’t be easy since “almost everyone in Trieu Vu village are claiming that he or she did hit the suspects.”

Angry mobs have brutally assaulted dog thieves throughout Vietnam in acts of vigilante justice.
In December 19, 2014, a northern community in Thanh Hoa province ambushed a dog thief gang, beating two to death and leaving two others barely conscious.

Dog theft in Vietnam has been fueled by those who treat the animals as a delicacy.

Restaurants pay between VND100,000 and VND200,000 (US$4.8-$9.6) per dog.

Because stolen dogs are often valued less than VND2 million (around US$100) – the threshold for criminal charges – the idea that thieves only suffer an administrative fine inspires communities to take matters into their own hands.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/mo … 37104.html

musicdog

Good info. Thanks for the news. Here we see the cycle of things, the cause and effect, the stones that humans bludgeon on ourselves/themselves...we eat our own dirt. They key and lesson to learn here is easy to see for others but many refuse to get out of the pleasure side which result to the endless cycle..

bkk tea blog

I visited Phnom Penh (Cambodia) once, and a restaurant near the business partner company office sold only dog meat. 

It would have been possible to walk in and order without knowing that, especially if you didn't read or speak the local language, and the owner there (a Chinese American) said that he had did just that.

From the limited discussion of that with staff there I'm not sure where they sourced the dogs from.  It was an interesting point, if a bit disgusting, that they said black dogs were preferred for consumption, and that eating different colored dogs were said to have different health benefit properties.  Of course I didn't try it.

In Thailand most people are outraged that eating dogs and capturing dogs for sale as food does occur, as you hear it here (Bangkok) mostly in the North. 

I've never heard of anyone in Bangkok intentionally eating dog meat, but then again who knows for sure what the street food satay is made of.

laclongquan_travel

It seem to be a Oriental belief, that black animals are more special than other colour types. I dont know why.

In Vietnam, black chickens are said to better than other types, and a special herbs and broth black chicken dish is good for certain type of illness.

Black Dog, not so much. At least I never heard anything surround a special dogmeat dish.

musicdog

it is similar but opposite as the "black dog syndrome" which is common in the doggie adoption centers. People prefer light colored dogs, or those that are not black and despise the black dog because of bad luck. For me, those who believe in good luck will and shall experience bad luck. I've tried it all and it did not hurt me at all.

Adhome01

Here is a good documentary about dog thieves.

Vietnam's Dog Snatchers 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdaSt7pFSPU

Unreported World investigates how dog thieves are stealing thousands of pet dogs from family homes in Vietnam to meet the demand for dog meat. The crime wave has provoked outrage across the country and led to the mob killing of scores of dog thieves. Reporter Nelufar Hedayat and director Daniel Bogado reveal disturbing evidence of how dogs are stolen, transported and slaughtered in an illegal trade that has shocked the nation.

For the record, I live in HCM and have had two dogs stolen by thieves. They have many clever ways of getting your pooch and if left attended they will get them.

Wilson

This is really against humanity  mad.png

Nipper66 wrote:

You're right in one way. Dogs are bred for eating. But let me tell you. I know for sure, there are lots of people riding around on motorbikes in rural areas of ho hi minh and many other parts of vietnam that steal dogs off the street. I also know from an ex girlfriend, who has a dog pound close to her home. That the dogs are tortured really badly, some boiled alive in hot water, purely for the benifits of extra taste. I live in Ho Chi Minh city, I know that many people still eat dog meat, it's just not so openly talked about. It's not so much the eating of dogs, it's the way that they are killed. It's not just dogs that suffer in this way either.

Adhome01

What about the Kitties?

http://www.ibtimes.com/vietnam-seizes-t … on-1799350

TEFL Can Tho

Out in the countryside people will kill the dog thieves, they'll mob them, beat them to death, so nobody can say who actually killed them.  In the cities they're like a mafia, organized and connected, and nobody will even tell a distraught owner what the thief looked like.  My neighbor's dog got out, ran around a corner, and by the time she rounded it her dog was already gone. 

In sight of twenty workmen, none of whom answered her with anything but a waggled hand.

This is disgraceful, horrible, savage.  Don't kid yourself; every one of those restaurant patrons knows full well he's eating someone's beloved pet.  It's hard to keep up any kind of good feeling for the Vietnamese when you see packed tables of garbage like that.

And don't kid yourselves about this ranching.  Dogs don't eat grass.  Restaurants serve stolen pets because feeding dogs is expensive.

Wilson
Adhome01 wrote:

What about the Kitties?

And what about Police find 20 dried primates after pulling over bus?

You have to remember you are living in a different culture - most Indochinese would find  this American practice objectionable , too.

South Americans eat dogs, as well, but we don't see all the excitement over that.

There are recipes on the InterNet for cooking cats, one from France.

You made the choice to live in VietNam, if you find it so upsetting go live somewhere else. I don't like the lack of hygiene here, wait staff picking their noses or digging out their ears then handling my food - that's the last time I visit. I buy banh mi buns from a great bakery but I will never accept them from the son - anyone else is  fine. Speaking in great English he asked why I didn't like him, so I told him his hygiene was poor - I expect people to wash their hands when serving me after tinkering with their motorcycles.

I don't shop at Co-Op Mart in Quan 7 because the place is rampant with rats at night, so I shop in Quan 3 where the hygiene is better.

@TEFL Can Tho: Show me the numbers to support killing dog thieves, I checked Statistics VietNam and didn't see this highlighted - particularly since the murder rate in VN is much lower than many Western countries.

TEFL Can Tho
Jaitch wrote:

You made the choice to live in VietNam, if you find it so upsetting go live somewhere else.

This is an absolutely despicable thing to say to anyone, especially on a topic indisputably awful as this one.  It's mealy mouthed and snotty.  Quit it.

I run a Facebook group for Việt Nam expats to vent spleen and anyone who posts this smarmy little scold gets removed and blocked.

@TEFL Can Tho: Show me the numbers to support killing dog thieves, I checked Statistics VietNam and didn't see this highlighted - particularly since the murder rate in VN is much lower than many Western countries.

I see reports of this all the time.  For example, in post 84 above.  You use murder statistics to contradict this?!?  Seriously?!?

And oh, a little formatting adds clarity.  You use way, way too much.  It makes your posts look silly.  This isn't PowerPoint.

Priscilla

Hi everybody,

I think that you should stay calm and avoid to fight with each other.

I also think that its time to close this thread now as we have already discussed about everything concerning dogs in Vietnam.

Thank you all for your contribution.

Priscilla

(Topic closed )

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles