Menu
Expat.com

Taking pet dog on Vietnam train

Last activity 02 July 2024 by OceanBeach92107

GuestPoster115

Any one has experienced travel on Vietnam train with pet dog?

I have looked up the regulation (in Vietnamese) about passenger transportation, baggage, how to send on national rail... 
http://www.dsvn.vn/images/1_QuyDinhVanChuyen.pdf

Article 23 4e for hand luggage; it does say pets are allowed to travel with passengers as long as hygiene is maintained and not to disturb people around.

I have conversed on line with train Vietnam and they are not sure; they have suggested to call the Saigon train operators for advise:
Ga Sài Gòn:
- (ticketing) Đội vé : 08.3843 6524 - 08.3843 6528
- (passenger) Phòng hướng dẫn khách vận : 08.3931 8952
- (baggage) Tổ hành lý : 08.3843 6527

I will be calling for advise when I get a chance. If any one has experienced please share.

Thanks in advance.

strekoza

Hi! Any success ? I also would Iike to travel with my dogs by train .If you have any experience, can you pls share .
Thank you!

GuestPoster115

I have called and got to know that it its a rough ride on VN train with pet animals.
Passengers will have to sit with pet dog in the special section with all other animals...

I have further researched it is much better taking pet dog on VN air line.
The cost is 275,000 vnd for dog under 9 kilos
440,000 vnd for dogs over 9 kilos

The above info is obtained from VN air line traveling with pet dog inquiry: 083-8-320-320

strekoza

Thank you so much for your reply!
My only concern about vn airlines is about papers. I was thinking about short 3 days vacation with our fur kids.

GoingMad

i believe airlines have regulation regarding which breed is allowed also..

CHITTY DAD

@strekoza Do share your expericence. Eagerly waiting.

goodolboy
@strekoza Do share your expericence. Eagerly waiting.
-@CHITTY DAD

check the dates man, that post is 2016, suspect any info you ask for is well out of date.

Aidan in HCMC

Hello CHITTY DAD, and welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for your post.

Can I Taking Pet Dog/Cat On Vietnam Train? (Link to vietnamrailway.com))

Sorry You can not to bring your dog/cat on the train with you.

Can I take our pets on train? (Link to vietnam-railway.com)

We are really sorry that you can not take your pets on train to keep atmosphere clean and not affect other passengers.

That said, this PDF (Link) from 2006 (now outdated?) states

Article 23. Hand luggage

ss#4. Prohibited goods for hand luggage include

e. Livestock (except for pet dog, cat, bird, ornamental fish which must be equipped

reasonably so as to ensure sanitation, no harm to surrounding passengers)

However, ss#5 in the same PDF states

ss#5 For ordinary passenger trains, passengers are entitled to bring cattle, livestock, sea

products, agricultural products, etc., and will sit in coaches dedicated only for these

goods.

Perhaps if you are willing, and if that PDF is indeed outdated/amended, ss#5 would be an option. However, your pet might be berthed with possibly unsanitary cargo and/or diseased animals.

Best to give the railway a call to get a more definitive answer.

Hanoi tel. 1900 0109

Saigon tel. 1900 1520

Good luck, and when you have time please let us know what you find. We would certainly appreciate it.

(as stated by member goodolboy, this is a very old thread. )

Bhavna

Hello everyone,

Please note that this is an old thread.

@CHITTY DAD, please open a new topic on the Vietnam forum.

To receive adequate help from members, make sure you post your precise questions in your post providing as much info as possible so that members can help you.

All the best

Bhavna

OceanBeach92107
(Link to vietnamrailway.com)
(Link to vietnam-railway.com)
-@Aidan in HCMC

Maybe worth noting that both of those websites are commercial travel agency sites.

I found this on the official Vietnam Railways site:

vr.com.vn/cac-quy-dinh/quy-dinh-ve-kich-co-trong-luong-hanh-ly.html

(Google translation)

Passengers note:   In the following cases, railways are entitled to refuse carriage:
- Passengers traveling by train do not comply with the Regulations on transport of passengers, luggage and bags on the national railway;
- You bring goods prohibited to transport such as dangerous goods, weapons and supporting tools without a license to carry people, corpses, remains, goods banned from circulation, stinky goods that contaminate the wagon , live animals, bulky objects that obstruct travel and damage rolling stock equipment;

Original Tiếng Việt:

Hành khách lưu ý:  Các trường hợp sau đây đường sắt được quyền từ chối chuyên chở:
- Quý khách đi tàu không chấp hành Quy định về vận tải hành khách, hành lý và bao gửi trên đường sắt quốc gia;
- Quý khách mang theo hàng hóa cấm vận chuyển như hàng nguy hiểm, vũ khí và công cụ hỗ trợ không có giấy phép mang theo người, thi hài, hài cốt, hàng hóa cấm lưu thông, hàng hôi thối làm dơ bẩn toa xe, động vật sống, vật cồng kềnh làm cản trở việc đi lại và làm hư hỏng trang thiết bị toa xe;

Also, since 2018 I've probably taken the train over 25 times in Việt Nam.

Never ever saw or heard one cat or dog on the train or in a train station.

Aidan in HCMC
(Link to vietnamrailway.com)
(Link to vietnam-railway.com)
-@Aidan in HCMC

Maybe worth noting that both of those websites are commercial travel agency sites.
I found this on the official Vietnam Railways site:
vr.com.vn/cac-quy-dinh/quy-dinh-ve-kich-co-trong-luong-hanh-ly.html
-@OceanBeach92107

The official site, vr.com.vn, gives/gave the same phone numbers for bookings (Link) (at a discount). smile.png

GuestPoster115

Last week I took the night train from Saigon to Nha Trang and brought my 4kg chihuahua dog with me. Had to keep the dog in a carrier. I plan on taking the train all the way up to Hanoi with my dog.

Aidan in HCMC

@lastresort

Thank you very much for the report, lastresort.

Did you state that you were bringing your dog with you when you purchased your ticket, or just arrive with him/her and board the train?

Were you in one of those 4-bed sleepers, sharing with other passengers, or...? (the 4-bed sleeper car is the only berth I'm familiar with. I've ridden that way twice, Hanoi-Saigon and back)

GuestPoster115

I did not inform anyone that I was bringing my dog. I think as long as your dog fits into a carrier, then it should be fine.

I booked 4-bed sleepers so far and recently traveled from Nha Trang to Tuy Hoa and Tuy Hoa to Quy Nhon.

Phillipfreeman813

@GuestPoster115 I too have a chihuahua but we also have a 55lb bully that will be traveling with is.  In america he is registered as a service animal and i have all the paperwork for proof.  did you see any medium sized dogs on the train?

brianAFSER73

@GuestPoster115

viet nam, among others, is not a dog as a pet culture. so bringing pets into a sleeper cabin with other passengers might be jarring for locals who might be cabin mates (if they are westerners it might not be an issue)

OceanBeach92107

@GuestPoster115 I too have a chihuahua but we also have a 55lb bully that will be traveling with is.  In america he is registered as a service animal and i have all the paperwork for proof.  did you see any medium sized dogs on the train?

-@Phillipfreeman813

Vietnam doesn't generally acknowledge "service animals" as they are broadly defined in the USA.

Bringing your 55 lb dog to travel with you in Vietnam is almost certain to cause you difficulties.

Good luck

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles