Visa extension

I have a 90 day, multiple entry, C-1 visa for Vietnam.  It is valid through 04 Feb.  I need a one month extension to 04 Mar 2015.  Unaware of the rule changes I went to the local travel agency for an extension on 06 Jan. No can do!  Went to the local immigration office.  No can do.
Anybody got any information on getting around this?
The I. Office said I would have to leave the country for 30 days before I could get a new visa.  Offered the possibilities of working, owning, or signing up with a tour group.  None of which I'm interested in.
ANY HELP OUT THERE?
All those used to the quick renewals - WATCH OUT.

Hello Gphillips and welcome to Expat.com

Hope that some members who have some info will revert back soon here.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Everybody should be CAUTIONED that I have been told by travel agencies, visa expediters  (Vietnamese and USA), and the local Hoi An Immigration Office that visas can no longer be extended under the new rules effective 01 Jan 2015.
Please let me know if somebody finds a source that can do this.

Hello @ All,
I have a 90 days B-3 visa which expire at 01 february. At Tuesday the 13/01 I come back to HCM from Bangkok. For sure I want & need a visa-extension B-3 multible for 90 days. I have to travel often between Thailand & Viet Nam - but want start to build house with my vietnamese GF & too want marry her - may this upcoming summer. Now I'm a little afraid - do anybody know what's happen about the new visa-rules? Please PM me imedially if anybody has true informations about. Offers from agencies in HCM are welcome.
Kind regards.
sailingholidays att yahoo dot com
+84-1634669087 (from up 14/01/2015)

You might try to get a new visa while still out of country.  I'm hearing that extensions are not being issued.

now there is no extension available for tourist visa. because the purpose of your visa cannot be changed according to the new law.
However, with B3 visa, if you have vietnam work permit, you still can extend it but maybe it will be 1 month visa.
But now 3 month business visa and 6 month visa are available

6 months....??  Renewed from an old B3 ... Are you sure.

Yogi007 wrote:

oh you quitely misunderstand me. Now, foreigner can apply for 6 month visa- VR visa ( a new visa type according to the new law), not extend or renew from old B3.

KathyBrown1410 wrote:
Yogi007 wrote:

oh you quitely misunderstand me. Now, foreigner can apply for 6 month visa- VR visa ( a new visa type according to the new law), not extend or renew from old B3.

This is off the New Decree:

19. VR - Issued to people who come to visit their relatives or for have other purposes.

3. The duration of a VR visa is not longer than 06 months.

It also is starting to appear that it will be the catch all visa. The question is will it be extendable.

Rick

KathyBrown1410 wrote:

now there is no extension available for tourist visa. because the purpose of your visa cannot be changed according to the new law.
However, with B3 visa, if you have vietnam work permit, you still can extend it but maybe it will be 1 month visa.

is that 6 month tourist visa ?? + what is VR and TT, it is confusing for people who do not understand , I wish to live in VN, renewing the visa and doing runs is tollerable but if all the current laws change then Cambodia or Laos will be an option, sure they would love to see my money

MarkinNam wrote:
KathyBrown1410 wrote:

is that 6 month tourist visa ?? + what is VR and TT, it is confusing for people who do not understand , I wish to live in VN, renewing the visa and doing runs is tollerable but if all the current laws change then Cambodia or Laos will be an option, sure they would love to see my money

Tourist visa - 3 months, VR visa - 6 months, TT visa- 12 months

As I said in a similar thread here, yesterday I was quoted $175 for a 3 mth extension on a B3 single .
Two other agents are getting back to me soon.     The obvious thing here is, that's because it's a new "law" the simple short sighted people are trying to,make a quick $ out of it before to much info gets out there.

The punters that need to extend NOW will be the cannon fodder.  Every time I extend a visa here there is always some "problem" & The fee quoted needs to be hiked.   That's life here. That's also why it's cheap here, and probably always will be, because of the lack of consistency and business confidence, they keep holding themselves back.  No one trusts them.

id say all the issues will soon clear up when they realise people might start looking arouhnd for alternatives.       Why wouldn't they want tourists to EXTEND THEIR TIME IN THE COUNTRY SPENDING  MONEY.   After all, they recently tripled their entry fees to several tourist attractions. Wonder how many LOCALS will turn up and visit those places now.

hello Kathy, you understand a lot, but when you are talking can you explain  what abreviations mean like what is VR visa and TT visa

Mark check out post  #11

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=408156

MarkinNam wrote:

hello Kathy, you understand a lot, but when you are talking can you explain  what abreviations mean like what is VR visa and TT visa

VR visa- Issued to people who come to visit their relatives or for have other purposes
TT visa - Issued to foreigners that are parents, spouse, children under 18 years of age of the foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, UNIVERSITY, PV1, LĐ visas, or foreigners that are parents, spouse, children of Vietnamese citizens.

Let's put it that way ! Right now, it is a bloody mess ; last week, impossible to renew a visa in Vietnam ; since Monday, possible again, at least in Hanoi. If you are in Hanoi, you may contact the agency Oriental Bridge Travel, from which I got that information

KathyBrown1410 wrote:
MarkinNam wrote:

VR visa- Issued to people who come to visit their relatives or for have other purposes
TT visa - Issued to foreigners that are parents, spouse, children under 18 years of age of the foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, UNIVERSITY, PV1, LĐ visas, or foreigners that are parents, spouse, children of Vietnamese citizens.

thanks for the clarification

I remember 8 years ago a 6 month extension was 1,6 million VND, that same extension now is around 7 million vnd,someone is making a bucket load out of this. I noticed that Cambodia has raised its visa cost to 30 usd a 50% increase,first rise in ten years, yet Viet Nam's visa extensions have gone up about 300%.

colinoscapee wrote:

I remember 8 years ago a 6 month extension was 1,6 million VND, that same extension now is around 7 million vnd,someone is making a bucket load out of this. I noticed that Cambodia has raised its visa cost to 30 usd a 50% increase,first rise in ten years, yet Viet Nam's visa extensions have gone up about 300%.

Hi Colin, you sat extensions have gone up 300%, does this include tourist visa extensions ?????

If you are a tourist and only need a stamp on passport to come back into Vietnam, go to Bavet border very near HCM city. Quickest and easiest to get another stay in Vietnam.

My understanding is no more extensions, period.
I'm having to book flights and a hotel to go out of country to come back in on my new visa.
The GF wants to go too.
I figure a $1000 in expenses to be able to spend the last 30 days here. 
Cambodia smart, Vietnam not so much.

Link of Map from HCM to Bavet:

https://www.google.com.my/maps/place/Kr … f760?hl=en

Well, I'm off to Cambodia for a short holiday. I'd rather spend the ripoff cash on something tangible.
I used to get an extension on B3 for about $50.  Now they want $280...  Crazy Stuff.

The Russians are leaving in droves, so that leaves backpackers and expats left. The backpackers will move on if a$300 sting is applied to their stay..   I know a lot of expats who don't mind a week away doing something different.  The Visa agents will lose out in the end.  They sayCheats never prosper .
Must be right Eh, ...take a look around, the locals aren't exactly an affluent looking crew are they.

sensesofvietnam wrote:

If you are a tourist and only need a stamp on passport to come back into Vietnam, go to Bavet border very near HCM city. Quickest and easiest to get another stay in Vietnam.

So, can we ALL beleive that you have done this, since January 1st 2015, just gone over the border and come back with another VISITOR VISA, having read all the threads and gphillips last comment, I cant see how we can all have miss understood

Mark, the visa extensions have been deleted,but if you want to pay an exorbitant price you can get one. Ha Noi has no understanding of economics, it's a grab and run mentality without looking to the future.

Mark, you can't get a Viet Nam visa at the border, you must go to Phnom Penh and get another visa. What the other poster didn't realsie it's not for people on tourist visas,it's other visas that must do this. You have to travel to PP and get a new visa,one day Vietnam will wake up and have border visas just like its neighbour.

Vietnam Visa is not required for following countries and region within a period of time. Please check on our below list:

Country    Length of Residence
Singapore    Less than 30 days
Malaysia    Less than 30 days
Thailand    Less than 30 days
Philipine    Less than 30 days
Laos    Less than 30 days
Indonesia    Less than 30 days
Japan    15 days
South Korea    15 days
Sweden    15 days
Denmark    15 days
Finland    15 days
Norway    15 days
Russia    15 days

It seems that Vietnam is securing it's borders, much the same as other countries, as  a means of transperiency of who is in and limiting thiir oppertunity do do harm, all of us are just collateral, the new laws would also appear to crack down on corruption: re caphee money for what ever, by making the law singular for the whole country ( Hanoi to HCMc ) THIS law is out there no doubt!, the unfortunate side effect is loss of potential advancement of English language skill bought in by long term expats, small loss in the scheme of security. You can't blame them, the continuing rise of religious nutters is a concern for all, VN is still a peaceful country and they  want to protect it, just hope rationality prevailes, http://blog.rushvietnamvisa.com/blog/20 … s-vietnam/

Their borders will be much more secure next week.  Without my planned extension to the beginning of March I'm bailing next week.  I got backed into a corner with multiple different solutions offered to me followed by retractions and changes.  I just couldn't wait any longer and take a chance on not being able to rebook my return ticket.
Hopefully they get things sorted out and don't hurt themselves too badly economically before doing so.

MarkinNam wrote:

It seems that Vietnam is securing it's borders, much the same as other countries, as  a means of transperiency of who is in and limiting thiir oppertunity do do harm, all of us are just collateral, the new laws would also appear to crack down on corruption: re caphee money for what ever, by making the law singular for the whole country ( Hanoi to HCMc ) THIS law is out there no doubt!, the unfortunate side effect is loss of potential advancement of English language skill bought in by long term expats, small loss in the scheme of security. You can't blame them, the continuing rise of religious nutters is a concern for all, VN is still a peaceful country and they  want to protect it, just hope rationality prevailes, http://blog.rushvietnamvisa.com/blog/20 … s-vietnam/

not sure what corruption it will stop because they just created more corruption by doing the change. The problem all stems from the illegal Chinese workers, the government lets them in at a cost then complains once they are here,communist mentality at its best.

This is the pot calling the kettle black.    Surely these guys are not worried about letting in people of dubious character.  Ha ha ha..  From my observations these people have become the masters of Lie ,Cheat & Steal mentality. It's endemic here.  I've never seen more shifty looking ,sneaky people in all my life. 

But it keeps you on your toes and makes life interesting Eh...

Last time I applied for Visa on arrival was a Saturday, I got the letter back on Sunday. It's just computer generated. The immigration was closed.  They can't possibly run ANY form of checks. I've met a lot of oddball losers here that have criminal records and are on the "run".  It's probably worse in Pattaya.  The number of guys here without an email address, bank account, credit card, facebook etc is for a reason. They don't want to be found, stay under the radar.   They live via Western Union transfers. 
Just produce a Camera and try take some group happy snaps for your facebook and see how fast they disappear.

I'm about to disappear as well to Phnom Penh for a new visa, looking forward to a couple of weeks away. The beach at Sihanoukville will be ideal to kick back for a while. 
The downside is that the Thailand crackdown has thrown out the arseholes and guess where they are now........eeek.

It seems some people here mix Vietnam with Thailand or Cambodia ! There are much less dubious characters in Vietnam, which is not the right place if your trip consists in boozing and whoring ; most bars and discos close around 22:30 except in large cities like Hanoi, Saigon and the big resort of Nha Trang and, fortunately for everybody, there is no Pattaya or Soi Cow Boy here, not even a Khao San  !!!!

This said, another bad news ; it seems that, since yesterday, again, no Viet visa extension in Vietnam, you have to exit the country and apply for a new visa. 3 changes in 3 weeks (you cannot, you can, you cannot), it is a mere craziness !

Tonight I was quoted price of $195 an extension on a 3 month B3 single entry.  Last year it was more like $40ish for an extension at this place.  Still waiting on other quotes.  Unless the news gets better soon I'll be putting that $200 towards an impromptu poor man's holiday to Cambodia or Thailand.

This morning in Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

I need a visa extention for myself and my thai girlfriend. Thais get a free 30 day visa afterwards they need a 3 month extention in order to remain in the country. This morning I was quoted 310$ USD for a single entry 3 month visa extention for my thai girlfriend alone. . At this time I'm giving it great consideration to leave the country and never come back. If you know of a location in Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam that's far cheaper please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

I had a visa expiration on 11/1 and went to Hcm 1 week before to file before that date. I was introduced to an agent who told me that getting a 3 month multiple was out of the question and it would better at this time to get a 3 month single entry and the cost would be $150.00 usd. After several delays I picked up passport on 23/1 and there was only a visa stamp extension until 11/2..a 1 month extension for $150.00 ..no refund. I was told that any further extension would have to be done out of the country. A rip off.

flowent wrote:

I had a visa expiration on 11/1 and went to Hcm 1 week before to file before that date. I was introduced to an agent who told me that getting a 3 month multiple was out of the question and it would better at this time to get a 3 month single entry and the cost would be $150.00 usd. After several delays I picked up passport on 23/1 and there was only a visa stamp extension until 11/2..a 1 month extension for $150.00 ..no refund. I was told that any further extension would have to be done out of the country. A rip off.

w

That's why it's cheaper to do a run to Cambodia and not line the pockets of immigration officials. Viet Nam year by year just wants to make the visa situation harder and harder.

colinoscapee wrote:
flowent wrote:

w

That's why it's cheaper to do a run to Cambodia and not line the pockets of immigration officials. Viet Nam year by year just wants to make the visa situation harder and harder.

That's typical of the "promises" people make here.   Promise you the world , and then hand you a map.   Just keep all this nonsense in mind when they try to peddle their shitty houses to foreigners on the 1/7/15.   They are waiting for the cavalry of foreign buyers from that day.   If only they had some honesty and consistency in their way of doing things here , this country could be anything.

flowent wrote:

You guys are going to drive yourselves crazy and waste a bunch of bucks trying to beat the system. The best thing right now is to make the visa run out of country and come back with a new one and then try from there with extensions. The old days are gone guys. Things might get easier later, matter of fact I'm sure they will but for right now play the game and get legit, that is if you want to stay here and quit play with these phony visa sellers.

Budman1 wrote:
flowent wrote:

You guys are going to drive yourselves crazy and waste a bunch of bucks trying to beat the system. The best thing right now is to make the visa run out of country and come back with a new one and then try from there with extensions. The old days are gone guys. Things might get easier later, matter of fact I'm sure they will but for right now play the game and get legit, that is if you want to stay here and quit play with these phony visa sellers.

Exactly,  I'm off to Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville for two weeks for a holiday. Get the Visa for $95 + $10 for the agent I know in PP.    Funny thing is, I made enquiries about a VR six month visa over there at the VN embassy and they'd never heard of it.  Unfuckinbelievable.   Ah well,  that's life in a developing country.  Just cop it on the chin and move with it.   It's not too bad compared to the Tax, stamp duty , and beaurocracy back home.  A few bucks scammed here is nothing compared to the bullshit fees in G20 countries.

I see and hear what's going on, I'm glad, for me , it happened before I got there. The only thing I can suggest, is don't wear your selves out by focusing  on the negative ( yeh, I know, easy said ) I love Vietnam, dung and all, so Iv'e contacted my federal minister to let her know of the changes and how it will affect xpats, in particular, those with families of Vn nationals, Iv'e had my first reply but as these things take time, I'm prepared to be patient. I have also had contact with the ministry of immigration and defense in  Vn to plead my case ( different to many of you ) and the response has been positive, even to the point of extensions. It really is a matter of getting smart, people, not angry, anger will consume you   ( my intent with this thread is encouragement )