Menu
Expat.com

Paperwork in Malta

Last activity 08 September 2010 by georgeingozo

Rawbiz

Hi all,

I will most likely relocate to Malta with my family to work for a  gaming company and have some general questions about the paperworks in Malta. Any help appreciated. So basically what is required to:

-Open a bank account
-Getting a work permit
-Social security, I am an EU citizen, would the standard EU insurance be enough?
-TAX registration, what would be necessary?
-rental contract, what are the standard procedures in Malta? (for example advance payment or anything similar)
-Get some kind of permanent residence and/or ID card

Also I have read there are different taxes for residents and non-residents and the non-resident one has an enormous tax rate. Will you get permanent residence if you get a work permit?

Really appreciate any answer since I am starting to get confused and lost under the Maltese websites smile.png

georgeingozo

1. you can't have permanent residency and work - you need ordinary residency and a work permit

2.Social security, I am an EU citizen, would the standard EU insurance be enough? so you mean EHIC ? If so, thats only for use by tourists

ricky

Hi Rawbiz,

Welcome to the Forum.

Most of your questions have been answered on the Forum.Please go back a bit with the posts and you will find most of the answers.

When you find an employer ,he will apply for your work permit and taxes and social security will be deducted at source.When you work in Malta there is only one tax rate that depends on your income and goes up to 35 % at the most.

The lower tax rate applies under the 'Permenent Residence Scheme' under which you are not allowed to work in Malta.

Best of luck.

Ricky

Rawbiz
ricky wrote:

Hi Rawbiz,

When you work in Malta there is only one tax rate that depends on your income and goes up to 35 % at the most.

The lower tax rate applies under the 'Permenent Residence Scheme' under which you are not allowed to work in Malta.

Best of luck.

Ricky

Hi,

Thanks for the info, and thanks george for the private info as well, I will read it trough.

However I am a bit confused once again about the tax rates, Gov.mt website tax rate shows taxes if you reside in Malta and if you do not reside in Malta. Are those the two tax groups we are talking about?

ricky

Hi Rawbiz,

No.

The tax rate for residents applies if you are a temporary resident in Malta and work in Malta.After being in Malta for 5 years you can apply for permenent residency but still have to pay the resident tax rate.

There is another special option under which you are granted permanent residency and live in Malta and pay a lower tax rate but are not allowed to work.In fact , you have to own quite a bit of money to qualify. That is why the government tries to attract them to Malta with a low tax rate.

Regards

Ricky

georgeingozo

Just to confuse matters, as ricky mentions, there are two types of permanent residency : just about the only thing they have in common is the name

the second one is only really of interest to non-EU citizens

Articles to help you in your expat project in Malta

• Finding work in Gozo
    Finding work in Gozo

If you are planning to live in Malta, why not settle and work in Gozo? Although it is quieter than the main island ...

• Finding work in Malta
    Finding work in Malta

Malta is world famous for its postcard-worthy beaches and beautiful landscapes. Indeed, this tiny island nation ...

• Setting up a business in Malta
    Setting up a business in Malta

Setting up a business in Malta is rather easy. Thanks to various incentives provided by the Maltese ...

• Finding work in Saint Julian's
    Finding work in Saint Julian's

Many expats in Malta choose to work in Saint Julian's, a place that offers a lot of career opportunities. ...

• Finding work in Valletta
    Finding work in Valletta

When it comes to relocating to Malta, many people think about working in Valletta. Located centrally on the ...

• Finding work in Sliema
    Finding work in Sliema

Working in Sliema is a popular choice among expats living in Malta. Tas-Sliema, typically known as just Sliema ...

• Internships in Malta
    Internships in Malta

Performing an internship in Malta can be an enriching and worthwhile experience. Indeed, Malta has been ...

• Teaching English in Malta
    Teaching English in Malta

For people who have English as their first language and can legally work in Malta, an obvious activity is to ...

All of Malta's guide articles