Loneliness when you are abroad?

do u feel lonely too away from your family?

hi,

im 26.i lived in dubai for almost 5 yrs,but recently i moved to riyadh saudi arabia for new opportunity.
i finished 1 month here already but styl didnt go anywhere except my office.
                 especially i miss my fanily so much since i came here n i miss my girl friend d most..
                 hope i can find some good freinds in here.lyk dubai.

Welcome to Expat-blog sammy123 !:)

Your discussion has been moved to Riyadh forum, allowing better interaction with members.

Hope that you make new contacts soon.

All the best!
Sheetul

It's tough being away from your family Sammy I sympathise with you bud.

Keep yourself busy, do whatever hobbies you are interested in and look forward to your next holiday back home - that's how I get by when I am alone...

It's tough, for sure, Sammy.

Nothing is going to take the place of those you miss, but you should occupy yourself.  Try to find something that will keep you active, physically; a sport, hobby or activity.

Learn where you can find books in your native language, movies and perhaps TV shows to take some of the hours away.

KSA can be a tough place if you aren't self-dependent.

Learn to occupy your time and mind.  It will help.

A lonely Indian in Riyadh? I didn't know there was such a thing. Come on buddy, it can't be that hard finding friends over here, especially Indian ones. Go out and be friendly! Get to it.

Welcome to the Blog Sammy, it is a big adjustment away from girlfriend and family, try get linked to skype so you are always in contact daily, that helps with missing home.

Chat more with the guys at work, they will let you know where they hang out or sports to get yourself involved in.

Good luck

we only choose to be lonely.....
choose to be otherwise, please

musicman wrote:

we only choose to be lonely.....
choose to be otherwise, please

absolutely correct...
but sometimes friends to help us to choose otherwise.. :)

Okay, let's have a little compassion for this guy.  I sometimes think that people who are here with their families (or married couples)  don't have a clue what it's like for single people with no family support here.

It can be very lonely and depending on your job and where you live, very difficult to make friends.  Most people here have established lives and don't need any new single friends, esp. if that person doesn't bring anything to the table (don't crucify me, I'm telling the truth--lots of 'friendships' here are based on what one person can get from the other, and vice versa).

Selfishness is the second oldest profession on the planet, didnt you know?

Maybe I just have a hard time accepting it.

what's the oldest profession doll?

DesertDog wrote:

what's the oldest profession doll?

doll?  You'd better be talking to mm :P

Alliecat wrote:

Okay, let's have a little compassion for this guy.  I sometimes think that people who are here with their families (or married couples)  don't have a clue what it's like for single people with no family support here.

It can be very lonely and depending on your job and where you live, very difficult to make friends.  Most people here have established lives and don't need any new single friends, esp. if that person doesn't bring anything to the table (don't crucify me, I'm telling the truth--lots of 'friendships' here are based on what one person can get from the other, and vice versa).

True...
But if u keep this to your mind, you wont have friends anymore...
Being optimistic is a better approach...
If he/she is a real friend...he/she won't do that to you...
and if that person is just using you, i don't think there is such thing u can call as friendship...

Peace Ali... :)

You need to pay attention.   I had the word friendships in quotation marks because they are NOT friendships.

The point I was making here is that it's easy to be glib; ie. 'just go make friends,' which is kinda like telling a depressed person, 'just cheer up.'  In other words, worthless advice that doesn't address the issue. If it were THAT easy, they'd have done it.

The oldest profession in the world is the service that the cocktail waitresses offer outside those glitzy nite clubs in the USA and Europe, maybe in Dubai too...?