Visas

I am coming to Italy  in August with the idea towards living there full time. What type of Visa do I need and are they hard to obtain
Thanks
Arnold

I suggest that you contact the nearest Italian Embassy for the information.

Thanks, Im in Baja until July, I guess I will check in NYC

First off, where are you from?  The government views each country differently, and if you are from the United States,  you will have some difficulty being able to stay longer than 3 months.  After your 3 month stay, you have to go elsewhere until 3 months go by, then you can return for  another 3 months.
You can beat this problem by getting employment where they will help you obtain a visa, movie stars, musicians, can get visas, too.
Another way to stay longer is to enroll in an approved language school to be learning the language.  The visa will be for one year, but you can reapply for a second year.  After that, you would have to leave.
Those movies you have seen where a person sees a home in Italy, buys it, and moves there forever....forget it.  They make it so easy, signing the papers, etc.  It is not that way.  Buying a home does not make it easy for you to get a visa.  The government could care less. 
The first time I applied for a visa in the Chicago Consulate, I was sent away before they even looked at my papers.  I had brought everything required on their website.  The second  time I returned again and tried to show them that I had a pile of money, more than required, and that I would not be a drain on the Italian economy.  The agent there was rude, and did a lot of useless yelling.  He did this to others in my line.
I finally got a visa (third attempt) by doing the language school and even then he gave me a bad time.  I remained cool and asked to see his supervisor, then he went ballistic!  I just stood there and asserted my rights to see his supervisor and he sent me to another window where a nice man who looked shocked at the abuse I  had received went and  got his boss.  She read my paperwork, and I  emphasized that I had done everything expected on their website, paid for the whole year of approved schooling, paid for health insurance, and the school had  found a place for me to live.  I held my ground, and then was told that I was too old.  Ha ha....I told them that my school told me that they had lots of older folks enrolled all the time and then I gave the boss (lady) their school phone number and said that  they told me to have them call immediately if there was a problem
Suddenly she got a bit more interested......
I as told  to go downstairs and wait for a call on my cell phone.
10 minutes later I got a call that I was to return to upstairs and I was approved.

I hope this helps someone, it was  a hello of an ordeal, three flights back and forth to Chicago and fighting this old grouchy man who thought he was protecting Italy from foreigners trying to get in. 
(meanwhile, University graduates in Italy are leaving to find  jobs elsewhere, by the way)
I have a blog where I write a bit of my life in Italy.  Perhaps you can learn more about life in a small village in Italy.  Paste in the link below on your browser.

whatfillsmyplate.blogspot.it/

Hi,
Thanks for the information. I was afraid of that being the case. I am going to a language school, but not for a whole year. Still I can see what they will do. They offer to help with visas.

I wonder how many times you can come and go. Do you have to come back to the states or can you go to another European country and then start over?   

Well, thanks again . The information is very helpful
Oh yes I am from NY upstate. Poughkeepsie to be exact. My maternal Grand parents were Italian
and immigrated to the states around 1900. But since I was born before 1948 I dont qualify for dual citizen ship. I have two cousins still living in Rome, but I dont think that has any impact on Visas.
Does it?

Arnie

I think many of your questions may be answered here.  Depending on your situation you might be able to select the elective residence visa.

http://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/home/en#BMTitolo

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Sgtlevine wrote:

I wonder how many times you can come and go. Do you have to come back to the states or can you go to another European country and then start over?

As Italy is in the Schengen area, you can stay 90 days within a 180 period.  As mentioned, you can leave and re-enter, virtually an unlimited amount of times in theory, but you must exit the Schengen area, which includes most EU countries.  Nearby Croatia is not in this zone, so you could pop over there or Romania or Bulgaria or UK even if I'm not mistake, then return to Italy when you are eligible again.  That is, if you want to stay under the tourist visa scheme.

Romaniac

if you can prove your grandparents were Italian citizens, you will probably be able to get a citizenship.
Check into this.
the language school....You can sign up for a year, but you don't always have to be in class...like you buy 6 months..  but spread it out every other month.. check with the school on this..
Yes, the school will and SHOULD help you with the visa... advise, etc.  you still have to get in while in the states, you cannot come over here and get it. 
I think you have a real good chance to make it real..
Keep me informed on how it goes in NY at the consulate.. I have some connections now that watch how people are treated, and they  are closely keep an interest and inform Rome.

Forgot,  to say.. No, you cannot go to another country nearby and hangout for three months.  They are all in the EU.  France, Slovenia, Germany, etc.
Others where you could go are further out.

Dave,
I am a painter also!  The Italian dual citizen thing is weird because it excludes you if you were born before 1948. I am going to check that out again.  I think I will try the student visa with the language school I am looking at
I'll let you know how I make out

ciao,
Arnie

I think they are afraid of old people coming over and then needing retirement funds. 
Good luck.
I am near Venice so if you come here to paint, look me up.
dave

Painterdave wrote:

Forgot,  to say.. No, you cannot go to another country nearby and hangout for three months.  They are all in the EU.  France, Slovenia, Germany, etc.
Others where you could go are further out.

You are not quite correct Painterdave.  Yes they are all in the EU, however Croatia which is not far from Italy, is not in the Schengen area.  He can go there and then re-enter Italy.

It's important to make the distinction between EU and Schengen area when talking about cross-border travel and visa requirements.

Romaniac

Thanks Romaniac, but you are also incorrect, I believe the he can go to Great Britain for three months, also Turkey, which is further away.

Painterdave wrote:

Thanks Romaniac, but you are also incorrect, I believe the he can go to Great Britain for three months, also Turkey, which is further away.

I mentioned UK in post #7 on the topic ;)  Yes, they are valid options.