Menu
Expat.com

Air quality in Krakow during the winter

Last activity 06 October 2016 by geragray

geragray

I am considering relocating to Krakow, but quite concerned about air pollution.

According to World Health Organisation, Krakow is "Third Most Polluted City" in the EU (the other two are also located close by). The more you dig, the worse it looks. According to Bankwatch, it is usually polluted with regular CO2, but during winter concentration of benzo(a)pyrene, goes over 10,2ng/m3. A safe amount is 1, and most of the wester Europe city has it well under it. For example, Berlin is 0,7 ng/m3.

There are numerous posts in Polish about the smog that covers the winter since people burn coal to heat up the houses. Statistical data from various sensors for the past 2 years shows the same picture.

What is your experience? How bad is it compared to the city you are coming from?

Mystikal86

Hi,

I have an experience of Krakow's winter. The following winter will be my first living here but I was on a vacation here during last Christmas (I have lived here only in the summertime). When I was living here from May 2014 to September 2014 I had no difficulties and didn't notice anything with air. I'm from Helsinki which is not that polluted.

Last Christmas I came to visit my friends. I didn't feel/notice anything in 3 days. The last day of my holiday I felt something in my eye and that hurt big time. I travelled through Munich to Helsinki and that trip was longest in my life. I went to the doc in Helsinki and he asked where have I been. I had keratitis in my eye because of the air pollution. It took 6 weeks of recovering. I couldn't work at all because I my near vision was none (not because of the keratitis but the meds they gave me. They said the eye has to rest so that's why I couldn't see anything and looked like a drug addict with enlarged pupil. Anyway I recovered and it's gone. Nothing left.

I'm not telling you this not to come to Krakow. I came back. I love it here. And I guess this time I'm gonna stay for good. Just telling you it can happen but it can also happen anywhere else. It is polluted but I never felt it myself before this.

But welcome to Krakow. It's an amazing city and you will love it. People have lived here and I don't think they're sicker than anywhere else. That's just my opinion. 

if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

-Henna

maghdaa

Well, it is unhealthy, but honestly, you don't really feel it on a day-to-day basis....

geragray
Mystikal86 wrote:

Hi,

I have an experience of Krakow's winter. The following winter will be my first living here but I was on a vacation here during last Christmas (I have lived here only in the summertime). When I was living here from May 2014 to September 2014 I had no difficulties and didn't notice anything with air. I'm from Helsinki which is not that polluted.

Thanks a lot! I am actually will be moving from Espoo, it would be great to catch up with fellow suomainen in the area.  So far it seems that Krakow is a great place for all the year, except of the heating season. Pity government is not moving fast enough to solve this issue.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Krakow

• Accommodation in Krakow
    Accommodation in Krakow

Wondering how to find accommodation in Krakow? Learn about the specifics of the city's rental market in this ...

• Work in Krakow
    Work in Krakow

Looking for a job in Krakow? Here are some tips to guide you through your search.

• Phones and Internet in Poland
    Phones and Internet in Poland

Find, in this article, an overview of the Polish telecommunications market and some tips to help you get ...

• Traveling to Poland with your pet
    Traveling to Poland with your pet

Moving to Poland with your pet? Find out about the requirements you will need to meet when entering the country ...

• Work in Wroclaw
    Work in Wroclaw

Looking for a job in Wroclaw? Learn more about the city and get some useful job hunting tips in this article.

• Accommodation in Poland
    Accommodation in Poland

When planning a long stay in Poland, finding accommodation will be one of your main priorities. Here's a brief ...

• Discover Poland
    Discover Poland

Looking forward to move to Poland? Find an overview of the country's geography, demography, economy and ...

• Driving in Poland
    Driving in Poland

Are expats allowed to drive in Poland? Can they use their international driver's license? Find out in this ...

All of Krakow's guide articles