Do you speak Romanian?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Romanian is essential for a successful integration in Romania. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Romanian? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Romania?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Romanians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Sure, we must to know how to read, write and speak Romanian and we must should familiar with local language. But it's not fair to say that without local language u are not able to spend your days here. But yes if you really wanna enjoy your life here you must need to learn Romanian language for better communication and bright future.

I think it is respectful to try and learn, speak and understand the language of whatever country you are in.
I also believe that the citizens of each country should respect those who are unable to fluently communicate in their language.
It goes two ways.
I am learning and have been learning via several programs, free and paid, and it has helped me a lot. This is not the only foreign country I've lived in or tried to speak the language of.
It's difficult to learn languages but important to try.

Not living in Romania (yet), but I have the strong desire to do so. I started learning Romanian a year ago with a very good teacher that has become a very close friend of mine.

My Romanian is mediocre. I try to speak Romanian every day, but still make mistakes. That is normal. I have made Romanian friends and they are correcting me when needed. For practicing, try the app 'mondly'. I really enjoy that app!

Also, if someone from Romania would enjoy to be my friend too, please send me a PM! It doesn't have to be about Romanian only. I just want to know people already so that I can get to know more about this country, especially Bucharest!

I've lived here in Romania 10 years now and learning the language was my first priority.  Since I work with children and women out in the villages I knew this was a crucial element of my work and couldn't rely on translators with me always.  I didn't want to just "get by" but truly develop relationships and I feel that since being able to speak the language now my relationships are far and wide and much deeper.  A great quote reads that "to speak to a person in a language they understand you reach their head but to speak to a person in their own language you reach their heart."  Nelson Mandela.   I am constantly learning and grateful for the patience and grace given to me to learn (although I did run into a few who were not so patient but that was the exception and not the norm)

We've been here for 4 years & i've tried 1 online course & 3 book based. The book based courses invariably use far too many technical grammatical phrases & instructions - I do not have a degree in English! & proceed too fast with too few exercises. Also, they tend to be too formal & do not include colloquial usage of Romanian. I'm currently studying the Rolang School text books, which are considerably better. We pick up most of our Romanian from watching the tv with a dictionary on hand but find the additions to the ends of words for plurals by gender & adjectives by gender a nightmare.
We live in a small village & have limited conversations with locals, usually along the 'ce faceti?' or 'buna zuia' lines! Most people here seem very reserved & reluctant to admit even a passing knowledge of English but I try to hold short conversations when I get the chance. I agree it's crucial to get a grasp of the language especially if you're not living in a city. In our local town people who confess to speaking English are few & far between, which is a good thing in helping us learn, but sometimes very frustrating if we want to get things done & are not understood.

I have  found that in brasov there are many  English speaking  people. Most are young youths  going to school. I have come across many also that do not speak English but they are older mostly seniors from a days gone by.as far as my romanian is concerned  it's getting better  everyday.I figure  soon there will be mostly English  speaking people  here because of the outsourced  companies  looking for bilingual  employee's.

I have had a friend in Romania for the past 6+ years.  I have been studying Romanian language a little everyday.  While I don't feel confident in my speaking the language, I do know many words and phrases.  My friend helps me with the Romanian language, correcting me when I pronounce a word wrong.  This helps a lot.  It is my desire to move to Romania and embrace the language and learn it perfectly.

I've been living in Timisoara for four months. I try and speak Romanian but so many people here want to speak English, especially the young ones (and by young I mean anyone younger than me; I'm 36). People here assume that I can't speak a word of Romanian but I actually can speak a bit and am very keen to improve. It's a beautiful language. Plus I'm an English teacher and it would help me immensely if I could get my Romanian up to speed.

The bloke at the immigration office hardly spoke a word of English. I thought it was funny that when I order a Shaorma I usually get English rammed down my throat, because I guess if I misunderstand something and get the spicy sauce instead of the sweet sauce, that would be a calamity, but immigration, who cares?

Yes, all the endings for plural and articulated nouns are a bit of a headache. Remembering them on the fly in the middle of a conversation is no easy task.

Hello

Unfortunately I do not speak Romanian, but having lived in Bucharest for 6 years about 9 years ago I must say that I had no problems at all.  I even ran a business for the 6 years.

Of course moving back there at the end of this month, I would like to take the opportunity to learn the language this time.

The Romanians are lovely people and certainly you will always find someone to assist you

Robert

hello @Priscilla

romanian language is considering to be a easy and very important language because once you know romanian language,any other language is so much easier to learn

having a great teacher with experience ,will allowed you to learn faster the language

check out  [link moderated] 

cheers !

hello @Priscilla

romanian language is considering to be a easy and very important language because once you know romanian language,any other language is so much easier to learn

having a great teacher with experience ,will allowed you to learn faster the language

check out  [link moderated] 

cheers !

-@Tatiana77

That's an entirely subjective opinion, which is fine.  I found Romanian difficult to learn.  To say that it makes any other language easier to learn simply does not hold true.   Try learning Japanese or even Czech.