Moving to Kampala with a 2 year old baby

Hello

My husband is working with the UN in Kampala and after serious consideration I decided to join him and bring with me my 2 year old son. I have mamy worries about his health in Kampala and it is extremely stressfull for me. I need your experience if you are already living in Kampala with so young children.

I will vaccinate my son against Yellow Fever before coming and after reading all the side effects of the vaccin I feel like am going to give him a lethal injection.
Any experience of vaccinating so young babies for YF? Did everything go well?

What about malaria? I decided not to give medications to my son but take all other measures.
Any parents with so young children in Kampala could you please share your experience with me?

Is there anything else I should think of before bringing my child in Kampala??

I am really stressed so any suggestion and experience would be really important to me...
Thank you!!

Hi,

I do not have kids, but I do think you should take care of Malaria, because it's what hits newcomers more than anything else. Either you vaccinate him, or use preventive measures can be better advised by a medical person.

However, since he is just 2 years old, important will be where he will live, especailly things to do with hygiene, other kids, or other people he will be living with in the home, and neighborhood. It may include the places you may visit. If you take care of the bacterias, and contageous infections, you should have a good start...

I hope that will help. Have a nice stay when you come, and hope all goes well for you.

God is good, all the time...
MJJoseph!

Hi Franita,
Please  relax. I will try to help you with that.
I am a mother of 4, with twin boys of age 2. We are living in Kampala for more then a year now.
All my children got Yellow Fever vaccine when they where very young (before Uganda we were living in Ghana) and, of course, there were no side effects.
We do not give anything against malaria and I don't know anyone who does. The expat community here is big with many babies and toddlers. You will find a choice of good kindergarten (of what ever it is called) when the time comes for it.
What else? how can I help you to calm down? Kampala is not a jungle. It is actually a very relaxing place.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Tami.

Hi,
I am living in Kampala from last 3-years and I think Uganda is the best place to live.It is the safest place in Africa and security is also very sound.I came with my family(One kid was just 2-years old and realy enjoying the climate of Uganda which is most suitable for good health.

hi Franita you shouldnt be that worried i have a one and a half year old baby girl living here . people write all sorts of terrible stories about uganda but keep an open mind u will trully be surprised  just give her anti malaria    or  get a mosquito net for her bed  as another option .geoff

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Please register to the business directory]