How to bring your car to Brunei

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Brunei, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Brunei?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Brunei, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Brunei?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

It's a month since I have been in Brunei and haven't heard of anyone importing their cars to Brunei. I'm not sure but I think I read on one of the many expat sites that the duty for importing cars in Brunei is high.
All people I know have bought cars after their arrival here. While most of the companies are represented here, the Japanese and Korean cars dominate the market. Based on my research, I notice that European and American cars are very expensive as compared to others in the segment. Used cars are as popular as new cars and there are plenty of them around.