Naturalisation and citizenship in Madagascar

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Madagascar? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Madagascar? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Malagasy citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

I'm looking forward to this discussion because I didn't think a foreigner could obtain citizenship here.

@Lilbuster

I didn't think so either, but I was told at EDBM that it is possible through marriage.
It requires that you first apply for residency, and then you can apply for nationality after having resided as a permanent resident in Madagascar for at least five years - at least that's how I understood it!

I would like to think so, but as I was recently trying to renew my visa for the ten-year period, I was told that citizenship is handled by the Ministère de Justice. Worse yet, after I had deposited my dossier at the end of March, I was told that they had changed the rules for visa renewal in April, and that I could not renew for ten years but five, AND that they will charge for the Carte de Résident regardless of my marriage or any other previously enticing factors. What foreigner wants to be a citizen in a country that looks for ways to extort you?

Lilibuster---that is awful news.  Does it  also state that info on the website?
It is hard to ask anyone else for info because the rules change all the time, which means they could change back. 
One thing I have noticed between third world countries and first world countries is that a first world country a person can asked many questions to learn an answer and in that third world country a person can only ask one or two questions, maybe three before the person becomes upset or just gets turned off to the person asking the question(s).

Dual Citizenship might be a good way to go but I am not sure if a USA citizen can get duel citizenship with Madagascar???

Not sure what extra protections you might gain by being a citizen in Madagascar over being a long term resident. 
You will always be considered a Vasaha just as Indian Citizens are not considered Malagasy but Karanas.

Hi TropicAlex, One of the first times I visited my contact there, I went in armed with info fresh off the web site, and she told me directly not to trust it. This last time, she sent me down the hall to see a "latest" posting on the door of an another office, but this alleged posting was not there. The Director granted a few minutes of conversation (apparently, I know her from the time I worked in Antalaha), during which she told me their machine could not produce visas for greater than five years (to avoid corruption?!?), and that they had reinstated the "droits" de visa to recuperate money that foreigners were unrightfully getting away with.
As for dual (though I like your calling it a "duel") citizenship for an American, I've read both it's possible and the US govt does not allow it. I don't think becoming a citizen here would afford any protections because, as you pointed out, you'll always be considered a Vazaha (i.e., potential source of income) by the locals.

Update on the visa renewal process: BEWARE!! When I left with my "Réponse Favorable" letter for my visa, a price was quoted in Euros. What exchange rate Euro-Ariary should be used?
The banks use about 1EU=3300AR. On the street, I've heard 3600Ar. So, to be safe, I used the latter. The Ministère takes a 4090Ar/Euro !?! Ate right through my cash reserves.
Normally, it is good to do a reconnaissance visit to the Ministère to see what the latest changes are, but you can't control the exchange rate.
Bon courage!

You cannot acquire citizenship in Madagacar - unless you have a Malagasy mother.

Furthermore it is not possible to buy land in your own name,
if you are not a Malagasy citizen.

I lived in Madagascar for 11 years, but it is definitely the most informal country I know...
With bribing everything is possible - everything is a matter of price!