Naturalisation and citizenship in Somalia

Hello everyone,

What are the requirements for acquiring citizenship in Somalia? For example, length of residence, language requirements, employment etc..

What formalities are involved in the process?

What is the policy on dual-citizenship in Somalia? Do you have to give up your former nationality?

What are the advantages and benefits of acquiring Somali citizenship, in your opinion?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Hi Bvana,

In the years 1960 to 1976, Somalia did not recognize dual citizenship, nor did it allow for naturalization (i.e. one could not apply to become a Somali citizen). but all that have changed now as a Somali.

However, I am not sure to what extend the laws have changed but I can certainly tell that the naturalization process have changed particularly for female foreigners if they are married to a Somalian citizen. a foreigner woman can become a Somalian citizen given that her husband a Somali Citizen.

On the policy on dual-citizenship in Somalia that has also changed, now Somalia accepts not only dual-citizenship but multi-citizenship if that is applicable.

As prove of dual-citizenship in Somalia, you can google it and see that the current Somali president has himself a dual nationality as he has US citizenship and Somalian.

All of this have changed after huge Somalian diaspora formed around the World due the civil war back in 1991.

I hope that helps.

Cheers