Menu
Expat.com

How to save money in Norway

Last activity 10 July 2017 by fornight

Priscilla

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Norway? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Norway? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

fornight

Prices are so expensive in Oslo that I naturally curb my spending habits...in addition not much product varieties to tempt me either.

Initially I do have a budget for grocery etc so that I don't overspend.  It also help me to gauge the prices in Oslo and compared when I go to Sweden borders to shop for grocery.

The best way to get best deal is to watch the behavior of sale in Norway.  Jan is the best time to shop for electrical items because they will be on sale.

June and July are summer sale so it is great to shop for clothes.

As for grocery, we use an app called mattibud, it helps to compile all the weekly promotion in each grocery stores.  Otherwise, we buy bulk from Sweden borders.

there is also an app called "too good to go"...which shows which store is selling their food very cheaply because it is almost end of their opening hours or close to food expiry dates.  Example bakeries selling away their daily breads cheaply etc.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Norway

• Banking and finance in Norway
    Banking and finance in Norway

Norway may not be the easiest country in the world to open a bank account in since aside from proof of identity, ...

• Buying A Property in Stavanger
    Buying A Property in Stavanger

So, you’ve been here for a while and you’re thinking, this is a nice place to settle down or maybe ...

• Buying property in Oslo
    Buying property in Oslo

House prices in Oslo have been on the rise for the past decade, and although the market is beginning to stabilize, ...

• Accommodation in Oslo
    Accommodation in Oslo

Rental places in Oslo are competitive, and prices are overall high. High living costs are well-expected across the ...

• Developing your social circle in Oslo
    Developing your social circle in Oslo

Norwegians are not known for their eagerness to befriend newcomers. Most locals have well-established social ...

• Childcare in Norway
    Childcare in Norway

Norway is probably one of the best countries in the world to raise kids. Besides the clean air, the safe ...

• Sports in Oslo
    Sports in Oslo

Norwegians are an active bunch and weather is no obstacle. You will see youngsters playing soccer in the pouring ...

• Typical Norwegian leisure activities
    Typical Norwegian leisure activities

Norwegian’s typically are very active people, scattered across Norway you’ll find no shortage of Ski ...

All of Norway's guide articles