Menu
Expat.com

British pass port renewal from America.

Last activity 23 August 2017 by Joseph f wright

Joseph f wright

I am now a citizen of the U.S.A.  for many years and I love it.
My British pass port has now expired and i understand that you have to send your British pass port back to England to renew. ?.  Now if you have a dual pass port i understand that you have to declare your American citizenship, send in a color/colour copy of your American pass port.   

I have been told or understand that because I now have another pass port you lose some benefits in England?

for example the small pension I get from there?  I am now declared a non citizen of Britain?  I am not able to return in case of sickness and use he N.H.S.?  all these things I am not really  worried about, i am getting on in years, but also if my son wants to return to England say for a couple of years , he will have difficulty renewing his British Pass port.

It's just that no one  even at the consulates can give me a straight answer, or wants to.

Is there any British Ex pats reading this that has gone through the trouble of renewing their pass port from U.S.A.  ???   I was advised to go back to England stay with a relative and apply from there.
Whats your thoughts expats.com????

GuestPoster491

You might try reviewing the information here, which discusses renewing from abroad as a dual national.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

Or calling the Passport Adviceline

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Joseph f wright

Romaniac,
                      Thank you for your reply, however I think  this application and everything is out of date as far as renewing,
First you have to actually send the passport to Britain,    the fee's are Higher, you have to send a color/colour copy of your American or second passport with your application.

This is what I had heard by word of mouth, every thing is processed in England.
the information on application is out of date   ( I think)  I still cannot find out why, unless it is to do with terrorism. 

I did call the consulate here, they tell you nothing.

It is so bad that we cannot apply here in the states like the old days. It makes it difficult, and there are those agencies that promise to do it for you "for a high fee"

I thank you for your response and I will keep asking around, it's Amazing, I call British clubs,British pubs but no one is aware of these rules, I myself lived in California Massachusetts Pennsylvania,  I always mixed with other cultures, Italians, in Mass, Latinos, In PA. and other cultures, they all know what is happening around them they are all aware of rules and have small agencies or friends that know the rules regulations, gimmicks.
But We British really do not bother or care about these things. I am British but not laid back, I want to know what is going on around me, But the British are so Placid this way...
Thanks for your info.
Fred Wright.

Joseph f wright

I called the British number, they said no problem no loss of any benefits.    still cautious... thank you.
Fred

Articles to help you in your expat project in Texas

• Marriage in the United States
    Marriage in the United States

Marriage is a contract that commits two people emotionally, legally, and materially. In the US, both same-sex and ...

• Traveling to the USA
    Traveling to the USA

If you're an expat planning to travel to the United States for the first time, you should know several ...

• Customs in the USA
    Customs in the USA

There are many restrictions regarding goods that can be imported in the United States (drugs, Cuban cigars, ...

• Accommodation in Austin
    Accommodation in Austin

Austin is an exciting city with amazing cultural diversity and a great arts and live music scene. Its unofficial ...

• Finding work in Austin
    Finding work in Austin

Over the last few years, Austin has earned its nickname of “Silicone Hills”. With a reputation for ...

• Obtaining Permanent Residency in the U.S.
    Obtaining Permanent Residency in the U.S.

For millions of people, the prospect of living and establishing a life in the USA is a dream. Regarded as the land ...

• Working in Los Angeles
    Working in Los Angeles

California has long been known as a hub for innovation and creativity in the US, and the state's major cities, ...

• Finding a job in New York
    Finding a job in New York

New York's sheer size and the scope of the city's economy mean that the opportunities available here are ...

All of Texas's guide articles