Paying bills in Thailand

Hello everyone,

What bills do you pay? If you are renting, are bills included in the price of rent, and is this common practice in Thailand?

How can you pay your bills (e.g. online, at provider's store, at the post office)? Which is the most convenient or reliable way?

With what frequency are different bills sent in Thailand? Are there different deadlines for payment?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

We pay most of our bills online.

In my current arrangement with my condominium landlord and agent, i make payment promptly each month by an agreed date. This is done via bank transfer, Bank transfer fees are at my own cost.

This rental arrangement does not include water and electricity. Water is paid to my condominium juristic office once a month as well. This is in cash. For electricity, i charge it to my credit card automatically each month,.

I pay my internet and mobile phone bills via my credit card automatically each month. The onus is on me to ensure the bills are accurate.

For electricity, internet and mobile - you can also pay this at the convenience store like a 7-Eleven. These payments must usually be in cash.

lastly i also have credit card bills, you can either make payments via transfer from your bank account or just go to the counter and pay in cash.

in my 6 months here, Thailand is quite the cash society.

Electric and water bill are charged and can be paid monthly at 7/11
If you have a condo , the office can usually do that for you if you lodge cash with them in advance

I pay ma bills (rent, electricity, water, WiFi) to the landlord.

I live in a house so I pay my utility bills. I know some people have Thai bank accounts (most popular is Bangkok Bank) and can have automatic payments set up, I believe with all services. I do not have a Thai bank account. I have a US account and go to a Bangkok Bank, with my passport (to save on fees) and make a monthly withdrawal. As such I pay my bills in cash. Since Tesco and 7/11 allow you to make utility payments, that part becomes easy. When it comes to internet/cable and telephone most providers have outlets in the shopping centers, no problem. Bottled water is delivered to my door at 30 baht a case. A case typically lasts me two weeks.

There are those who live in condo's or resident hotels. They may provide an all inclusive bill, which would include your utilities. If you want good internet service you will have to pay individually for that service. Then there are the others who will charge the resident for the individual services. It's not unusual for the residence to charge the resident a surcharge for utilities. That has been my first and second hand information.

I forgot, at a house one pays for trash by using a designated trash bag. I think they charge 10 or 15 baht per trash bag. If the bag doesn't have the proper designation they don't pick up the trash. Of course with a residence your trash bill is part of your rent.

We have very few bills in Thailand. The car and house are paid for so that only leaves living expenses and utilities, which are all paid in cash.

internet banking, cash, some have online payment options.

pay at tesco

Hello,

Many options to pay bills :
Cash
Pay at Tesco Lotus
Pay at 7 Eleven

Most Monthly bills such as water and Electric are monthly , Sometimes different living arrangements they are included in your rent.

I pay my rent monthly at the Juristic office in the lobby. Includes TV but water and internet is separate ,but still pay them at the same time.
Electricity and mobile phone can be paid at 7/11 , Family Mart and most stores in most places.

I pay my water bill in cash as I have the wonderful prerogative that the lady from the Tesseban who reads the meter immediately knocks on the front door and demands payment.It is normally the huge amount of 150 to 180  Baht and this is usually at about 06.30 the morning when I am having my coffee during some day in the middle of the month. This also includes the princely sum of 20 B for the trash removal.
My GF used to teach and all the women from Tesseban know her and when they collect the money for the water bill it costs me a meal as they sit and gossip here for 20 minutes and eat the same time.
My electricity bill is placed in a "postbox" on the pole where the meter is situated normally on the 19 th or 20th of the month and is always about 2500 THB due to the aircons.
This i pay at  7/11 walking "good excercise" distance.
The only other bills are the insurance to AA Hua Hin which I pay annually in one lump sum by bank transfer.
My inet to TOT I pay annually in advance and this is in cash at the office when I pass it on my way to Tesco or Big  C.
No other bills except the high cost of the GF.
O before I forget,very important because it can include a free meal if I would like to attend the funeral.
I have weekly bills of from 100 to 200 B for the collections for funerals and "somebody dead"and this never stops.Here have been more funerals in this small village in the last 4 years than I have experienced in my previous  70 years.
These collections are usually in the evening when I am watching TV.
Petrol for the car I pay cash.

In the old days everything was paid in cash and though I believe the 500 baht note came out around the time I arrived, everything was done with 100 baht notes for many years.  So I am now very much a fan of modern convenience.  Any bill I can't pay online can be taken care of at the big mall (Central Plaza) in town which I much prefer to BigC or Tesco.

While the death tax is financially insignificant it is extremely persistent, as you mention, and with each funeral taking five days there is often someone waiting for the icebox to become available.  Around here there is also the cost of hiring someone to take your place if you don't want to stay up all night gambling and drinking to keep the ghosts company.

Electricity, gas, water, phones, funerals, garbage, internet, credit card, visa extensions, Truevission, airfares, auto registration tax, insurance, maintenance and diesel, and any help you may get by hiring neighbors to cut your grass or take care of the garden are just of few of the things I can think of which we pay for monthly or annually.  My wife takes care of all the little village stuff while I do the online payments.

I assure you I do not go to the funerals anymore and the ghosts can look after themselves.
As for drinking and gambling they know where they stand with me
I was told that if you do not contribute for each death nobody will contribute for mine,as if I care, but to keep the politics in shape I contribute.
Phones I do not use much and have a pay as you go and my GF has a pay as you go and forever no money on the phone.
For family in South Africa I use skype and Skype credit or subscription
The char who cleans the house is, as most are here a "cousin" and she is paid cash.

I have 4 bills

My rent that I paid directly to the owner by depositing the money directly into his account.
My internet bill with AIS, I paid directly at AIS store or 7-11
My cable with True Vision. Same thing. I paid directly at a True Vision store or 7-11 or any of True vending machine
It is not difficult to pay bill in Thailand.

Renting an apt near Victory Monument BTS in Bangkok.
- Rent: pay 13000 baht at the front desk on the monthly move in date.
- Utils (water, elect, wifi) pay ~ 2000 baht at the front desk.
To get cash I go to the green ATM two days, two 8000baht withdrawals from US bank.
- Phone: go to AIS store where I bought the sim, pay 200 baht each phone.
- US credit card, pay online
Exactly same process in Vietnam, just different currency, about the same cost but nicer bigger apt in Saigon D7.

Hello, it's not easy when the bil is not correct you are abroad and get no reply from the company about e-banking datas for pay the bill.

Hurenladen weltweit, big problem

Thanks
Expat in Europe

That may be true, but what kind of bills are you referring to. My water bill is 30 baht a month. I think my highest electric bill was 1,400 baht. I'm out of the country for two months (returning next week). I made arrangement for people to take care of things for me. If you have a Thai friend he/she should be able to help, and in an amiable manner.

Hi Priscilla ,

Always nice to hear from you. Paying bills like electric, telephone, internet is easy. when you receive your invoice; you can either pay at a 7-11 or go to the electric company branch office. Or you can pay automatically through your bank account. Intern and phone service can be paid the same way.

So, paying bills in Thailand is very easy. It just depends how you set up your account with each company.

My electric bill just arrived this morning (3,749 baht) and since I will be in town for something else today anyway, I may as well pay at the second floor counter at the mall.  I always try to take the path of least resistance. :-)

We pay for all our bills though Bangkok Bank account. The bank is useless for anything else. The rest of the bills are paid byAirline card, to get the miles. Only a few things are paid with cash. When we first moved here we had to run all over the place paying bills, much easier this way, & when we leave the country we have a family member look after our condo for us.

Bonsoir,

C'est simple, à part INTERNET, aux 3BB où je vais directement, du lundi au dimanche, régler ma facture par carte bancaire thaïe, ou la recharge de mon téléphone au 7/11 en monnaie, le loyer, l'électricité, l'eau sont réglés mensuellement, en liquide, à la propriétaire, avec factures à l'appui.
Quant à la télé,  (3000 baths par an) , cela passe aussi par la propriétaire.
Cela concerne la Thailande.
Pour la France, c'est autre chose.
Bonne aprés-midi ou bonne soirée.

Paying bills is very easy. I do most in cash, with some at 7/11. I pay condo rent by ATM transfer. All billing is separate. The problem is with the electric. If not promptly paid, you must take a gruesome trip to their office on Samsen Road.

In my home country, I am a great fan of Direct Debits. I, inevitably, forget to pay my dues. In Thailand, this payment method does not seem to exist?

Yes True

The closet option is online banking , That can be setup for reoccurring  monthly payments.

Yea, unless the amount varies from month to month.