Menu
Expat.com

about Melbourne

Last activity 25 May 2006 by dmscvan

Zephyr

HI all!

I am a newbie here... may have to travel to Melbourne for training in job by next year. Would like to make some new friends and get some advices on expatraite life in Melbourne.

See you!

Zephyr smile.png

Jo Ann

Welcome Zephyr!

Julien

Welcome on board Zephyr smile.png

Will you stay in Melbourne for a few months?

All the best,

Julien

Guesposter58

Me and wife have been here a week.
Love the place so far.
We'll be here until end of July before heading back to Japan (unless I have a change in career and we end up UK bound).

Very multicultural place. Large Greek and Italian presence.
'Chinatown' should really be called 'Far-East Asia Town'. Its about 60% Chinese, 25% Japanese, 5% Thai, 5% Vietnamese and 5% 'Others' (Korean, Indonesian, Malaysian).

If you like food, you'll love it. Yet, despite all the multi-culturism, it still feels kinda British.

The one thing that is missing is the lack of Aboriginal culture, I believe you need to head north to get more of that.

dmscvan

Hi Zephyr,

I've been in Melbourne off and on for almost three years now. GavinT's comments are certainly right on. It's a nice city - kind of pricey for my tastes (coming from western Canada), and a little cold at times (with the lack of proper insulation and heating). Overall, it's a pretty good city to live in.

There are some nice parks, and some nice drives out of the city. A beautiful drive is the Great Ocean Road.

Is there anything more specific you're wondering about? I'd be happy to answer any other questions (as best as I can).

Articles to help you in your expat project in Melbourne

• Finding accommodation in Melbourne
    Finding accommodation in Melbourne

Accommodation in Melbourne can be expensive, both for renters and buyers but with a bit of research, you can end ...

• Finding work in Melbourne
    Finding work in Melbourne

Melbourne or Naarm is Australia's second-largest city, after Sydney, and is actually on track to grow even ...

• Study in Melbourne
    Study in Melbourne

Melbourne has most of what makes the Australian lifestyle so appealing – beautiful beaches, a Mediterranean ...

• Discover Melbourne
    Discover Melbourne

The vibrancy and excitement of Melbourne resonates through its arts, food, and creative scene. Melbourne's ...

• Developing your social circle in Melbourne
    Developing your social circle in Melbourne

Melbourne's popularity with international students and expatriates is proven. However, its relatively remote ...

• Gastronomy in Melbourne
    Gastronomy in Melbourne

It is no secret that Melbourne is very famous for its excellent food and first-rate coffee. A deeply multicultural ...

• Melbourne's neighbourhoods
    Melbourne's neighbourhoods

Melbourne's Neighborhoods Melbourne is a great city with a multitude of beautiful neighborhoods to live ...

• The work culture in Melbourne
    The work culture in Melbourne

A relaxed and serene lifestyle? We're talking about Australia! Many expatriates are attracted by some of the ...

All of Melbourne's guide articles