Talking to Saudi Ladies

Hi all. I'm new to Riyadh and have gone shopping in the mall a few times since I've come here.  I generally avoid eye contact with Saudi ladies when I'm there. 

Last time I was there I went to buy a coffee at one of the stands.  This girl (in full burqa) who I hadn't noticed started talking to me.  "Where are you from?" "How long are you here?".  It was a very nice exchange and it ended pleasantly, but I thought that sort of thing was more or less forbidden. 

What is the norm over here?

are you sure it was a girl ? ;):lol:

but seriously, yours must be one of those rare encounters cos thats definitely not the norm.

why do things like that happen to everybody but me? :(

Change is surely a coming here ....

yes it happened to me once,but unfortunately the girl tried to talk to me in Arabic:( so i could not understand what she wanna talk about. That happened to me in Carrefour

hehehehe why we dun have "like " option here:(  i wanted to click like to Redglobin :(

Run Keanuuu RUN!

a woman in full burka and veil came up to me in a mall the other day and asked directions, i was amazed but unfortunately i didnt know the answer - some of the younger ones make eye contact and some of them walk by a few times to make sure you notice them :)

musicman wrote:

Change is surely a coming here ....

How ?

Oh damn! Or the more commonly Hindi film version.. "Nahiiiiiiiiiiiin", with echo effect!Now I am really mad, why dont I get any chance at all.. !!!

urgh!

@nonz: the like button was proposed earlier too.. hmmm.. wel looks like that will have to wait... back to being invisible..

xain wrote:

yes it happened to me once,but unfortunately the girl tried to talk to me in Arabic:( so i could not understand what she wanna talk about. That happened to me in Carrefour

well this has happened to me 3 times..  ( yes 3 times and I fell every time for it !! ) .. a couple of saudi girls stops me on the street.. asking for directions.. a bit of chit chat, and I end up giving her lift to her destination... since it is just across the street.. and she can't seem to understand the directions ..

I have lost my mobile and all cash on me on all 3 occasions :(

kamiii wrote:
xain wrote:

well this has happened to me 3 times..  ( yes 3 times and I fell every time for it !! ) .. a couple of saudi girls stops me on the street.. asking for directions.. a bit of chit chat, and I end up giving her lift to her destination... since it is just across the street.. and she can't seem to understand the directions ..

I have lost my mobile and all cash on me on all 3 occasions :(

Well, as we know your intentions kami :whistle:...so i would say"You deserved it baby":dumbom:

By the way i must appreciate your skill of making up all these silly stories :top:

nonz wrote:

Well, as we know your intentions kami :whistle:...so i would say"You deserved it baby":dumbom:

By the way i must appreciate your skill of making up all these silly stories :top:

:( where do you think my BB and E72 went this weekend ?

kamiii wrote:
nonz wrote:

:( where do you think my BB and E72 went this weekend ?

WTF!!!! :o:o:o  I will kill u for this...i need to confirm the news with your wiffy :/

nonz wrote:

WTF!!!! :o:o:o  I will kill u for this...i need to confirm the news with your wiffy :/

her version of the story would be "he got mugged"

hehehehe....poor gal need to know the real one..dun wory ihave saved the post :P so i can show her too :lol:

Thanks for the contributions.  Not sure that I'm any clearer on the whole topic, but at least I know that next time I visit the mall to wear a pair of runners...

Best of luck keanuuu but believe me, its better to avoid. You never know who could take offence at gasp your conversation with a girl. Sometimes I avoid even talking to my own wife in public..:D

@mirfarali: poor wifey! :D

mirfarali wrote:

Best of luck keanuuu but believe me, its better to avoid. You never know who could take offence at gasp your conversation with a girl. Sometimes I avoid even talking to my own wife in public..:D

this is just a lame excuse to avoid your wifey lol...

[Moderated: Quote has been moderated - Account deletion]

mirfarali wrote:

OMG LOL!!

Somebody sure has issues..

Ugly Duckling wrote:
RedGoblin wrote:

@mirfarali: poor wifey! :D

whoa !!!  what just happened here ? i was reading through a nice thread about interacations of the interesting kind and all of a sudden wham !!! where did that come from ?

@vicks: dont feed the troll. the moderators have taken the necessary steps.. Like I said, somebody sure had issues..

sigh .. this blog is costing me more than just deleted/moderated posts.. must do something ..

nonz wrote:

[Moderated: Quote has been moderated - Account deletion]

heinnnn....what happened :(

the guy who's post you quoted.. his account got deleted.. so automatically all his posts.. and posts which included his posts as quotes ,  got deleted.. thats why you tag the post while quoting them ...

kamiii wrote:

the guy who's post you quoted.. his account got deleted.. so automatically all his posts.. and posts which included his posts as quotes ,  got deleted.. thats why you tag the post while quoting them ...

huh i knew i was just pretending  angel  :gloria

Yesterday I was in Ikea looking for a good working table for my room, I arrived at 4 pm exactly during the shop opening, then as the time passed, I was unknowingly engulfed by a swarm of ninjas. The night transformed from a stroll to a game of football going to the end zone. I wasn't even looking at the furniture anymore, I was so occupied avoiding them. And the problem with Ikea, there is only one exit and through the counter. Never again will I go there on a weekend.

you want to see serious ninja parad.. go by train riyadh- dammam. the main problem is that being a single guy first you sit in some place, setup your laptop and stuff to pass away the time. Then here comes a squad of ninjas, and the security guy wil say please could you move to a more ideal location. I say alright-close laptop, disconnet headset, take bags, go to new location, setup laptop etc etc.. and start a movie when the second batch of ninjas come and they want seat again.... the thing is that, after the second round of everything, I sat down watched a movie half way throught the second one, and the AL hasa stop, squad one leaves, and bigger squad comes back in and the circus is doen once again.... it spoiled my movie alright!

Man...if that happened to me I will be pissed off.

OT: What were you watching that they spoiled?...lol

First it was the "Next three days" and then "Inception" the bluray!

had to watch it all over again after i reached back to Khobar! :D

SO are you sayng its best to avoid if being confronted with a conversation? I also had this happen to me in Khobar. Two of them in burqa, eyes showing. One talked as the other stared at me. Asked for directions and i pointed the way. not a good idea then?

A safe bet would be, dont go and start a conversation. They might not take that too kindly!

well u just need to be observant enough which are the approachable types n which aren't..i've had encounters where saudi woman have actually helped me pick out a certain item,helped with directions n stuff..and times when I have been given the death stare just for asking the time.

My overall experiance is tat if your intentions are not flirtous..and you aaproach properly ( like start the conversation with laousamaahti ya ukhti/ammti ...) Even the most consservative of the locals would hear u out n try to help u

There are good mannered and nice people here. Who treat expatriates as human beings. If a lady starts talking you that is just a way of saying welcome to Saudi Arabia.

@kamii... i wud never start a conversation like that;)

@kamii: please dont issue your techniques not in this matter.. :D

lolllll.. I was just giving an example..there is no wayyyy I am approaching sumone calling her ukthi