Too old?

I was forced to retire at age 75 and am disabled.  Is this too much of a challenge to relocate now?

It depends on many things.  How disabled are you?  Are you alone or do you have someone to help you?  Where in Costa Rica do you want to live?  How much money do you have to relocate and to live monthly.  I don't think it's out of the question but depending on the answers to those, it could be very challenging?

About time to start thinking about taking it easy. Come down, see for yourself, shop around. Public transportation has ramps for wheelchairs, beach towns lack sidewalks, just about., the disabled person has priorities on any line. Costa Rica is a cool country to live in.

Labup, is right. If you have a mobility issue, then Costa Rica may not be for you. Sidewalks, all over the country have many holes and obstructions on them, which makes it difficult to maneuver with a cane or if using a wheelchair, it is on the street.
Also, in homes there are often many changes in levels.

To be covered by the healthcare system you are required to be a legal resident, which may take up to a year to obtain.

I agree with labup - it would help if you give us more info about where and how you want to live, and if you've been here before etc.
One should always visit for a considerable length of time before moving here.

Just off the top of my head I would say that relocating here is probably not a great idea at your age and in your condition. But if you have a strong desire to do it then come for a visit and see how you like it then rent for a month or 3 and see how that goes. In San Jose it might be do-able but in outlying areas maybe not so much.

My primary disability is that I have  a seven disk fusion, which limits my walking to short distances without a walker.  I have access to a power wheelchair but seldom need it.  (I was originally told I would never walk again, but with lots of determination and lots of physical therapy, I can walk, but it's uncomfortable).  I also have Parkinson's which affects balance, but the physical therapy has helped that a lot.

I do have money to move and for my wife and I to live comfortably (I believe).  She's also my caregiver.  Because of the Parkinson's I no longer drive.  We would plan on locating near San Jose for climate and access to medical.

We have excellent health insurance which should cover us in Costa Rica.

We definitely would plan on one or more exploration trips.  We would like to meet several expats (Is there an organized group?), and arrange a service to guide us to legal, real estate / rentals, banking, immigration. . .  We would appreciate guidance to one or more good services.

Many thanks for all the guidance.

JimNorman wrote:

My primary disability is that I have  a seven disk fusion, which limits my walking to short distances without a walker.  I have access to a power wheelchair but seldom need it.  (I was originally told I would never walk again, but with lots of determination and lots of physical therapy, I can walk, but it's uncomfortable).  I also have Parkinson's which affects balance, but the physical therapy has helped that a lot.

I do have money to move and for my wife and I to live comfortably (I believe).  She's also my caregiver.  Because of the Parkinson's I no longer drive.  We would plan on locating near San Jose for climate and access to medical.

We have excellent health insurance which should cover us in Costa Rica.

We definitely would plan on one or more exploration trips.  We would like to meet several expats (Is there an organized group?), and arrange a service to guide us to legal, real estate / rentals, banking, immigration. . .  We would appreciate guidance to one or more good services.

Many thanks for all the guidance.

Hola Jim,

As several others have said, with mobility issues you would not find Costa Rica suitable.  The sidewalks here are pretty much the worst I've seen in any country I've been to.  There are large holes in the sidewalks, they can drop literally a full foot from one pad to the next and are in no way level.  There are "some" wheelchair ramps at intersections, but once a person was on the sidewalk they'd find it impassable. 

I've witnessed on several occasions people going down the street in wheelchairs or powered type wheelchairs because the sidewalks were not passable.  And the streets here rarely if ever are set up for even a bike lane so no space at all for a wheelchair.

The other option if you were really interested in living here would be a quad.  They are street legal here.

Please be VERY careful in finding someone to, "arrange a service to guide us to legal, real estate / rentals, banking, immigration. . .."  There is an abundance of scammers and so-called guide services here.  Even the honest ones charge a ridiculous amount considering the average wage here.

Best of luck in your search,
- Expat Dave

oops my long post just disappeared into cyber space... Jim
But in essence, as we all say it DEPENDS on just how mobile you want to be and  conditions of roads of course are worse in the remote areas,,I call remote anything over 1 hours drive YET I live in the countryside but 10 minutes from Heredia and 5 minutes from 2 quaint villages so I have the best of both worlds..of course many towns and villages have  atrocious sidewalks . and remember there are many different mini climates in Costa Rica such as in my Heredia Hills we are 4000 meters so spring like year round BUT if we drive the GREAT road North  to the  EL Castillo Country Club a 25 minute drive .It is  MUCH colder with Pine trees and shades of Lovely Switzerland ..Very beautiful with GREAT roads but for me too cold Brrr... BUT I have taken some ex pats up there whoLOVE it and intend to buy there Some must Love it or else we ex pats would all be huddled in ONE place in Costa Rica..
(I Dread the thought : :)  am happy to be fluent in Spanish language due to my immersing myself into the local way of life, ( apart from a few extra luxuries which Ticos on THIS are can also afford . )
Fortunately now there are some areas  that are catering to the "no so mobile" so we are making strides...
My advice would be to check on line and see if there are tours to Costa Rica  for the disabled and see what you can do...It is too bad to have to miss out a lot when with a little fortitude and determination (as you seem to have..ALL things are possible
Best of Luck to you,,,and remember you can't keep a good man down!
Good Luck
Pebbs
PS to the snake man VIck?  who's post I cannot find but said words to the effect that he would like to see his snake around my neck LOL and would not move into our area BRAVO ... he Saved many little fuzzy rabbits  that kids love.... I think I will take a photo to post here  with me and SNAKES around my neck taken in USA by my friends also snake lovers BUT they NOT feed them LIVE Rabbits UGH .I wonder if it is a perverse thrill watching them get eaten alive.
Granted it took 2 glasses of wine to get those snakes around my neck but with that and thoer coaxing I DID IT LOL....just saying....

Jim Norman, what health insurance do you currently have that would cover you in Costa Rica?

Jim, I agree with Dave that Costa Rica is definitely *mostly* not friendly for people with mobility issues, who need a wheel chair.

That said you MIGHT find - somewhere - a community that is easier than others to get around in a wheel chair, Can you get a wheel chair and put ATV type tires on it that will go up curbs etc? A 4x4 Jeep version of a wheel chair?

But I always also say "where there's the will, there's a way" so if you really really want to do this, do it.

I'd search for info online: facebook, travel sites, forums etc re people who have experience using a wheel chair in Costa Rica. Maybe someone found a better place to live than most when facing mobility issues.

On the other hand, many find it challenging to live here with NO mobility issues. So definitely come for as long as possible to rent and see how it is before buying any property.

I'd say a tour would be fine but just never agree to buy property after seeing it on a tour. Wait and live here a while first.