Menu
Expat.com

Marrying an Indonesian:Visa?

Last activity 27 March 2018 by Nemodot

Nemodot

Ok so I am marrying my Indonesian gf in Sumatra  - I am British. We have a pre-nup as she has inherited property and land she could lose otherwise. She will join me in Korea where I work and I doubt I would ever work in Indonesia as it would be Jakarta but she hates it (!) but will typically spend 2 months a year here in Sumatra. Eventually I would most likely retire here but 2 decades away.

As far as I can see visa options are aimed at spouses staying here or working? Do I simply just get a tourist visa each time? Or can I still apply for a "spouse" visa?

Fred

Marriage makes a visa far easier, a KITAS being all but automatic for the vast majority. Each one lasts a year, then on to a five year KITAP.
As long as you have no intention of working, no real problems but you may be asked to prove you have enough cash to maintain yourself.

Nemodot

Ok Fred so I can get a KITAS anyway depite spending little time in Indonesia?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Indonesia

• Retiring in Indonesia
    Retiring in Indonesia

Like many expatriates, are you considering retiring to an idyllic island destination, enjoying some of the ...

• Visas for Indonesia
    Visas for Indonesia

If you are planning to move to Indonesia and reside there for a while, you will need a visa which is ...

• Indonesia visa info
    Indonesia visa info

All visitors must possess a passport valid for at least six months after their arrival date in Indonesia. 

• Working in Bali
    Working in Bali

The multi-faceted island of Bali offers many opportunities for those who wish to move from tourist to ...

• Driving in Indonesia
    Driving in Indonesia

Traffic in Indonesia can be very overwhelming, particularly since the discipline and road conditions can ...

• Moving to Indonesia with your pet
    Moving to Indonesia with your pet

Moving to Indonesia with a pet is not a risk-free operation, mainly due to stray animals and rabies. ...

• Having a baby in Indonesia
    Having a baby in Indonesia

If you are about to have a baby in Indonesia, you should be aware that the medical services available to pregnant ...

• Accommodation in Bali
    Accommodation in Bali

If you are planning to relocate to Bali, housing is a critical part of your project. So how to find your ...

All of Indonesia's guide articles