Menu
Expat.com

How long will my work pass (EP, S-Pass, WP) application take

Last activity 17 October 2024 by Juniar Fajrien

krissanfrancisco

Hi guys,

Wanted to share my status and progress too. Happy to hear your thoughts / and hopefully my story can also help others. I've posted bits and pieces in other threads, but haven't posted on this thread specifically. So here goes...

(Some context:)
1. I've worked and lived in Singapore between 2012-2018. Had 4 EP applications throughout - no delays and issues whatsoever.
2. In 2019, I took masters in the UK and my partner and I lived in San Francisco from end of 2019-2020.
3. I work in advertising/marketing
4. I'm from the Philippines / Filipino passport holder

Application status:
December 22: Immigration agency submitted my application to MOM
January 11: Received direct email from MOM stating they need more time to review my application.

"As we need to carry out more checks, it will take 3 to 4 months to review your application. Each case will be assessed holistically, taking into account applicant-related criteria, input from other agencies, and whether fair consideration has been given to workers in Singapore.

We will convey the outcome or any additional information to your prospective employer directly."

Jan 15: Immigration agency reached out to MOM. MOM reiterated the same thing and that they will liaise directly with my employer.

Current status: Pending. 

So far, no additional document or email of the same kind was sent to my employer. In fact, had I not forwarded to them my email, they wouldn't have known the case. The immigration agency has not experienced this in the past - where MOM reached out to applicant and employer directly givent they were the agency paid to do it.

Some theories I have:
1. In the application form, it was noted that there were 0 locals / PR interviewed for the job. When I asked the immigration agency, she said that even though they weren't interviewed, there were supporting documents showing that they've received many applications including locals. My take is - that should've been submitted as a proactive choice.

2. It's a strategy to force my employer to hire locals.

Any other thoughts?

beppi

My theory: You mentioned in another thread that you are married to a same-sex partner and this is mentioned in your application.
It is indeed highly unusual that MoM sends anything to you and NOT to your employer (who is the applicant). Also, the timing (3 - 4 months) is extremely long - the wording hints at the usual vetting stage, but that normally takes 4 - 6 weeks.

krissanfrancisco
beppi wrote:

My theory: You mentioned in another thread that you are married to a same-sex partner and this is mentioned in your application.
It is indeed highly unusual that MoM sends anything to you and NOT to your employer (who is the applicant). Also, the timing (3 - 4 months) is extremely long - the wording hints at the usual vetting stage, but that normally takes 4 - 6 weeks.

I'm beginning to accept this as a theory too. Although, having lived openly (but respectfully) gay in Singapore for 6.5 years and having met many LGBT expats there - some of whom are married (granted they're from the West and do not hold a third world passport lol), I'd be surprised and disappointed if this is indeed the case especially since the nature of my application is an EP and not a dependent's visa.

Whitesneakers

Tnx! Any other info i can give?

Whitesneakers
krissanfrancisco wrote:

Hi guys,

Wanted to share my status and progress too. Happy to hear your thoughts / and hopefully my story can also help others. I've posted bits and pieces in other threads, but haven't posted on this thread specifically. So here goes...

(Some context:)
1. I've worked and lived in Singapore between 2012-2018. Had 4 EP applications throughout - no delays and issues whatsoever.
2. In 2019, I took masters in the UK and my partner and I lived in San Francisco from end of 2019-2020.
3. I work in advertising/marketing
4. I'm from the Philippines / Filipino passport holder

Application status:
December 22: Immigration agency submitted my application to MOM
January 11: Received direct email from MOM stating they need more time to review my application.

"As we need to carry out more checks, it will take 3 to 4 months to review your application. Each case will be assessed holistically, taking into account applicant-related criteria, input from other agencies, and whether fair consideration has been given to workers in Singapore.

We will convey the outcome or any additional information to your prospective employer directly."

Jan 15: Immigration agency reached out to MOM. MOM reiterated the same thing and that they will liaise directly with my employer.

Current status: Pending. 

So far, no additional document or email of the same kind was sent to my employer. In fact, had I not forwarded to them my email, they wouldn't have known the case. The immigration agency has not experienced this in the past - where MOM reached out to applicant and employer directly givent they were the agency paid to do it.

Some theories I have:
1. In the application form, it was noted that there were 0 locals / PR interviewed for the job. When I asked the immigration agency, she said that even though they weren't interviewed, there were supporting documents showing that they've received many applications including locals. My take is - that should've been submitted as a proactive choice.

2. It's a strategy to force my employer to hire locals.

Any other thoughts?

Prolly because they weren’t interviewed. Any reason for this? When my new employer tried to apply for my spass in dec15, MOM said they should post first in mycareers future. See https://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-pract … -framework

So now one month lapsed and the company is still offering me the job, so hoping it will go through this time.

Is your prospect employer an MNC?

Whitesneakers
beppi wrote:

It is impossible, from the very limited information you gave, to assess your approval chances.
To get an idea of the criteria MoM applies, you should read the sticky thread "Criteria at MoM to approve a work pass" and other related discussions.

Sure thanks, any other info i can give?

no_1
no_1 wrote:

Hey friends,

Applied for new EP before 1 month (job change), currently in Singapore on EP. MOM is asking for doc verification from dataflow. Can anyone help with below query?

Can dataflow complete the verification in < (less than) 15-20 days ?''

Anyone wants to share their experience with dataflow please share.

Thanks in advance.

Received documents Verification Reports from Dataflow and RMI 7th Jan'21. However EP application was already rejected on 20th Dec'20 before we got the report from Dataflow and RMi by MOM stating to do an appeal upon receiving the document verification reports.

Submitted appeal with verification report on 8th January'21.

waiting for the outcome...

Whitesneakers
no_1 wrote:
no_1 wrote:

Hey friends,

Applied for new EP before 1 month (job change), currently in Singapore on EP. MOM is asking for doc verification from dataflow. Can anyone help with below query?

Can dataflow complete the verification in < (less than) 15-20 days ?''

Anyone wants to share their experience with dataflow please share.

Thanks in advance.

Received documents Verification Reports from Dataflow and RMI 7th Jan'21. However EP application was already rejected on 20th Dec'20 before we got the report from Dataflow and RMi by MOM stating to do an appeal upon receiving the document verification reports.

Submitted appeal with verification report on 8th January'21.

waiting for the outcome...

Why did they reject

kubernetes04

Hello Folks,
Just wanted to share timeline of my EP Process.

Application Date: 14/01/2021
Approved: 25/01/2021

Had been on "Pending" status from 14th Jan - 24th Jan.
Completely New Application. Never been to Singapore before.

All the Best to everyone who is waiting for the visa.

I need to get the DP applied for my wife now. Just wanted to know how long does it take to get the DP approved?

worthit

Thats great; can you share your country and field of work?

icscscs

Hello folks,

I've benefited a lot from this thread, and just want to add another data point here

08/01/2021: Application date
08/01/2021 8pm: We need inputs from other agencies to process this application. In most instances, the outcome will be available in 4 weeks' time. Some cases may take longer.

Software Engineer, Indonesian, just graduated with bachelor's degree from a local university, with tuition grant bond.

happiexgrli

As promised to Beppi - I am reporting back on this situation.
The EP has been approved so confirm that degree is not required if you meet other criteria.
EP submitted on Jan 15 - approved Jan 25 (6 business days). Good luck to all on their application.

happiexgrli wrote:

Hello,

These threads are super helpful for expats, seems like a very helpful community. I would like some advice on my EP chances:

Nationality: US
Company: Large 100+ employee MNC in Software
Experience: Internal transfer - been with this company for 14 years, 17 years in the industry
Role: Sr. Director - Middle management
Salary: 25,000 SGD/month
Education: High school aka None

The question is around education. MOM says degree or relevant professional experience,. I'm currently in the exact same role in Europe, but company is asking me to grow ASEAN region. I started at this job when it was a start-up and then got acquired by the current company, my records show employed since 2006. Do you think I will get rejected if I don't have a college degree?

H0MERSIMPSONS

Which industr

heena100

Sharing my EP timeline

Job change in SG
Role - Data Engineer

Application date -14 Jan 2021
Inputs needed from agencies. - 15 Jan 2021
Approved - 1 Feb 2021

All the best for people who are waiting.

H0MERSIMPSONS

Mine:
Senior Engineer

Applied : 19 Jan 2021

H0MERSIMPSONS

Can I check your industry and position and salary if it's okay..? Thanks

Mine still pending

19 Jan 2021
Now - 02 Feb 2021

Whitesneakers
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:

Mine still pending

19 Jan 2021
Now - 02 Feb 2021

Approved already? Whats your industy

H0MERSIMPSONS
Whitesneakers wrote:
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:

Mine still pending

19 Jan 2021
Now - 02 Feb 2021

Not yet still Pending,  as of 6 Feb 2021... 

IT

Whitesneakers
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:
Whitesneakers wrote:
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:

Mine still pending

19 Jan 2021
Now - 02 Feb 2021

IT

Based in sg or outside? And EP right?
All the best!

H0MERSIMPSONS
Whitesneakers wrote:
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:
Whitesneakers wrote:

IT

Based in sg or outside? And EP right?
All the best!

Base in Singapore from SP to EP, yes ...

rbyl

Hi all, I just want to thank you for sharing your experience.

Now it is turn to share mine.

Background:

Came to Singapore in 2018 to study masters in NTU(IT and business major).

Graduated in 2019.

Have a study bond to work in Singapore(or Singaporean company) for 3 years.

-Company A

Company A applied as engineer in electrical IT field

• 19 April 2020 applied for EP

• 21 April 2020 rejected for EP

Reason:

"If your candidate is currently in Singapore, you may wish to submit an appeal for our consideration. Otherwise, you may wish to apply again when the additional safe distancing measures are lifted."

Company A didnt want to appeal/ resubmit the application.

-Company B

Company B applied as a regional business exec at gaming industry

• 19 September 2020 applied for SPass

• Appealed 2 or 3 times, got rejected in December 2020

Reason:
"This candidate is not eligible to apply for a work pass. Please look for another candidate."

• 11 November 2020 applied for Letter of Consent

• 4 December 2020 Letter of Consent approved by MOM

At this point of time I still cant work for the company, because LoC will take up company quota

• 14 January 2021 applied for EP

• 21 January 2021 need agency inputs

• 8 February 2021 approved!

It has been a roller coaster guys, wish you all the best too. happy early CNY.

Whitesneakers
rbyl wrote:

Hi all, I just want to thank you for sharing your experience.

Now it is turn to share mine.

Background:

Came to Singapore in 2018 to study masters in NTU(IT and business major).

Graduated in 2019.

Have a study bond to work in Singapore(or Singaporean company) for 3 years.

-Company A

Company A applied as engineer in electrical IT field

• 19 April 2020 applied for EP

• 21 April 2020 rejected for EP

Reason:

"If your candidate is currently in Singapore, you may wish to submit an appeal for our consideration. Otherwise, you may wish to apply again when the additional safe distancing measures are lifted."

Company A didnt want to appeal/ resubmit the application.

-Company B

Company B applied as a regional business exec at gaming industry

• 19 September 2020 applied for SPass

• Appealed 2 or 3 times, got rejected in December 2020

Reason:
"This candidate is not eligible to apply for a work pass. Please look for another candidate."

• 11 November 2020 applied for Letter of Consent

• 4 December 2020 Letter of Consent approved by MOM

At this point of time I still cant work for the company, because LoC will take up company quota

• 14 January 2021 applied for EP

• 21 January 2021 need agency inputs

• 8 February 2021 approved!

It has been a roller coaster guys, wish you all the best too. happy early CNY.

Thanks for sharing. Were you outside of sg til your EP was approved? Why was it loc at first?

H0MERSIMPSONS
kubernetes04 wrote:

Hello Folks,
Just wanted to share timeline of my EP Process.

Application Date: 14/01/2021

Had been on "Pending" status from 14th Jan - 24th Jan.
Completely New Application. Never been to Singapore before.

All the Best to everyone who is waiting for the visa.

I need to get the DP applied for my wife now. Just wanted to know how long does it take to get the DP approved?

Can you share information?
Salary, position, etc...

rbyl

Both employer and I were so desperate haha, hence the LoC. I'm within Singapore during all the passes application.

xelon

Hello guys,

Would like to share my application timeline for EP application:

21 Jan 2021 - Application
02 Feb 2021 - We need inputs from other agencies to process this application. In most instances, the outcome will be available in 4 weeks' time. Some cases may take longer.

I am an Indonesian, EP holder, change new job in Singapore, currently residing in Singapore. Working in IT industry.

rbyl
xelon wrote:

Hello guys,

02 Feb 2021 - We need inputs from other agencies to process this application. In most instances, the outcome will be available in 4 weeks' time. Some cases may take longer.

I am an Indonesian, EP holder, change new job in Singapore, currently residing in Singapore. Working in IT industry.

in my case, it took me 15 days from "we need inputs..." to approved Epass. Mine is for 1st time application and not renewal.

may I know your uni, ethnicity, how long have you been in singapore, and range salary?

xelon
rbyl wrote:
xelon wrote:

Hello guys,

in my case, it took me 15 days from "we need inputs..." to approved Epass. Mine is for 1st time application and not renewal.

may I know your uni, ethnicity, how long have you been in singapore, and range salary?

Hello rbyl,

I see. From my survey, I saw that a lot of people get their EP approved in 3 weeks - 1 month. But I've been hearing a lot of story about how difficult it is to get EP nowadays, esp. with MOM requiring companies to have core Singaporean workforce.

I graduated from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore in 2010. My ethnicity is Chinese. Range salary is 7K - 10K.

avinashjha

Update on my application-

Applied - 3 Feb 2021
Approved - 16 Feb 2021
Employer - Banking domain
Years of exp - 10+
Salary range - 10k+

Also, this EP was applied just 1 month later than previous EP application (applied on 30 Dec 2020, Approved on 31 Dec 2020).

H0MERSIMPSONS
xelon wrote:

Hello guys,

Any news on your application???
Mine start 19 jan2021 as of 16feb2021 still pending

xelon
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:
xelon wrote:

Hello guys,

Still no news yet

H0MERSIMPSONS
xelon wrote:
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:
xelon wrote:

Hello guys,

Still no news yet

Noted thanks... Please do share if got any news, we are on the same industry... I too is waiting for the result

avinashjha

It's been already 3 weeks. So your employer can check with MOM on what's causing the delay. Only employer can get that information from MOM. Also, approval process/conditions/time-taken for your application is irrespective of someone else's even if the industry, job profile, work experience, salary is same.

xelon
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:
xelon wrote:
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:

Still no news yet

Noted thanks... Please do share if got any news, we are on the same industry... I too is waiting for the result

Sure. Likewise, appreciate your updates too if you got any news!

Whitesneakers
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:
xelon wrote:

Hello guys,

Did they mention what agencies? How long have you been an ep holder? Have you resigned?

My new company will apply my spass on march, but I already resigned by april. So i hope mine will also be approved.

xelon
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:
xelon wrote:
H0MERSIMPSONS wrote:

Still no news yet

My EP was approved today.

18 Feb 2021 - Approved

Best of luck to all of us!

Whitesneakers

Hi all!
My new employer already applied for my EP 2 days ago 6k marketing manager, 14yrs experience.
My question is..even if SAT says im not EP qualified, but employer ticked the option to still apply for SP if EP cant make it..will there be another round of waiting? Im an SP holder for 9yrs now. Is there an advantage of being in singapore for so long?

beppi

If the option is ticked, both will be considered. But id the SAT says you‘re ineligible for EP, you can only get an S-Pass (if all other criteria are fulfilled).

Whitesneakers
beppi wrote:

If the option is ticked, both will be considered. But id the SAT says you‘re ineligible for EP, you can only get an S-Pass (if all other criteria are fulfilled).

Thank you Beppi! Appreciate it.
Yea, im an spass holder since 2012 from the same company, all renewals are smooth and fast so far. First time moving company. Any idea if there’s a bearing for a smooth approval if it’s a new application with new employer?

beppi

What is  a „bearing“?
But no, there are no tricks to get MoM to approve. Just wait and accept the result.

Whitesneakers
beppi wrote:

What is  a „bearing“?
But no, there are no tricks to get MoM to approve. Just wait and accept the result.

Oh what I mean with ‘bearing’ is if theres like a deciding factor for any advantage..smile.png

Thanks Beppi!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Relocating to Singapore
    Relocating to Singapore

Moving to a new geography is an exciting step – new home, new friends, new adventures, but leaving your ...

• Moving with your pet to Singapore
    Moving with your pet to Singapore

If you're moving to Singapore and don't want to leave your pet behind, you'll need to follow some ...

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles