Medical issues

Hi all

I arrived in Sohar on the 31st of March and did an arrival medical at Al Raffah. There was an issue with the blood test and I was taken on Wednesday last week to do another blood test, this time at the government clinic / ministry of manpower clinic.
I was initially told that these blood tests would take approximately 4 days. However this week I was informed that it would only be concluded by early next week because the tests are being done in Muscat.

To try and cover all bases, my company arranged for me to do another medical, this time at Lifeline hospital. This morning Lifeline called to say that I need to come in and repeat the blood test. So today I did a fourth set of blood tests.

Throughout this time nobody has been able to give me a clear answer as to what is going on. Everybody just tells me, "Maybe its small problem, InshAllah".
I have repeatedly asked for the information to be disclosed to me to no avail.

Only today did I get some clarity by talking to the administrator at Lifeline hospital who explained to me that the law dictates that they cannot disclose any information. He basically said to me that the lab are the only people privy to the information and they called him to say that I need to repeat the test. They did not divulge the reason why. He also said that the results of the tests are not given to the company, or myself or even the doctor. They go directly to the ministry and uf they were to disclose anything to me, the hospital could face a hefty fine.

To be honest I found this whole process to be quite insane. The lack of transparency is appaling. I fully understand and appreciate the mandate of the ministry in protecting the country, but to not be able to get information regarding my own blood test result is madness. I guess I'm used to a completely different and more progressive approach in South Africa. In South Africa the doctor would call the patient in, have a confidential chat, explain what is happening and outline the process going forward in terms of further tests etc.

Here there has been nothing but bureaucracy and vagueness.

Now I have to sit in a hotel room and stress about what the problem could potentially be.

So effectively I am awaiting the conclusion of the two sets of tests, one from Lifeline and one from the government clinic. Hopefully this drama can be resolved soon.

My experience though has made me realise that I may very well be better off simply returning to South Africa.

Sorry to hear this.  I think we discussed this on another thread as well.  That is what I said on that thread i.e. to be asked to re-test means that they spotted something (or bad sample) and that they won't divulge the information to you.

Unfortunately, that is what the situation is in the GCC.  The only time you find out what happened is when a decision has been taken - good or bad.

But I am surprised that the hospital which your company took you to is not divulging the results to you.  I assume that is a private medical for you and your employer comfort only?  if so, the results must be shared with you. The ONLY reason that the results are not shared is if an illness has been detected that needs to be reported to MOH.  For example, I can go now to a clinic in Bahrain and get an HIV test done.  If the outcome is negative, I will get the results.  If it is not negative, they will call me for retest and send the results directly to MOH and await their instructions while not telling me anything - that is the law in most GCC countries.

Usually on blood tests, the following are the issues:

Tier 1 illnesses - HIV, Hep B and Hep C
Tier 2 illnesses - Syphilis, Malaria, liver function tests

But usually, on tier 2, they don't create that much of a fuss and provide treatment & grant visas.  Varies country to country though.

Wish you all the best.  Keep us updated on your situation.

Thanks for the feedback

Do you know of any place in Sohar where I can get a private test done on my own?

Hi AndrePrevin,

Without a government registered doctor's prescription, no lab in Oman would do you a blood test.

To find a doctor to give you the needed prescription is not very difficult. Go to any of the doctors practising out of nondescript premises and ask them for the needed in exchange for a fee.

Thanks Sumitran

I know it is a public holiday now so would anything be open?

Also,do you know any doctors in Sohar to recommend?

Regards

Hi AndrePrevin,

Clinics would be operational with a skeleton staff managing the thin operations during the holidays.

Suggest you walk into the nearest clinic you can spot and try your luck there.

Hi @AndrePrevin, I am sorry to hear about your situation there. I can only imagine what's going through your mind.

I wish I have something more to help you in this. I think getting a test on your own would at least lift away the stress of not knowing what's up with the earlier tests.

Sending over good vibes to you and hope things settle out good. Take care.

@AndrePrevin: Any update on your situation?

Yeah @AndrePrevin, how are you holding up? I hope everything turns out good.

Hi everyone
Sorry for the late reply

Everything has been sorted out

What was really puzzling though is that i finally got to see all of my blood test results when I was taken to the Ministry and everything was clear so I do not understand what the issue was in the first place.

But anyway I'm just glad that it sorted now

Woohoo @AndrePrevin! Congratulations, I'm happy to hear this.

Great to hear it @AndrePrevin.  At least that's unnecessary stress off your mind and you can now start working on bringing the family over!!

If you do find out sometime in the future what the issue was - do post here.  People will benefit from the insights.