Menu
Expat.com

Its me

Last activity 30 May 2018 by davidcolinburt

shadowjak

I'm Noel. I'm a retired rock / Blues musician, teacher and clinical therapist.  I decioded  a  quiet life and whaht could be quieter than long distance riding on a motorbike.
I discovered Thailand, or to be precise, Koh Phangan island some time back and fell in love with the place and the people, on person in paarticular . I divide my time between Thailand ,  and the UK.
I'm about to apply for a retirement Visa at the thai embassy in London , so that I can spend most of my time there

davidcolinburt

I'm a semi retired, working musician (blues, rock, country, soul, etc) who loves Thailand. Back and forth between Canada and Thailand. Rock on!  dcb

shadowjak

Chack out Koh Phangan the next time you are over, if you haven't already

davidcolinburt

OK. Also, there are some blues rock players from USA, Scotland, etc, over in Hua Hin area. Regular jam sessions, gigs, and more.   dcb

shadowjak

Thanks  David. Its a long way from me,but I may  take  a ramble there on a bike,one day

davidcolinburt

OK. I know the whereabouts of Koh Phangan.  So the live blues music venue in or around Hua Hin is called Thaiwaii.  (Thai + Hawaii) There's a Scottish blues guitar player that I know who lives in that area too. Rock on.   dcb

shadowjak

Cool. I'm on a long distrance ride zigzagging  across europe at the moment. I had onyl planed to ride to Berlin to meet  some Techno  people, but the road beaconed and 4 weks and thousands of Kilometers later, I'm in Serbia .Tomorrow I rode overthe balkans and into Bulgaria

davidcolinburt

Yahoo!!!   dcb

shadowjak

I'v got a Yam 1600 V2. I thought i;d give it a good run, just to make sure its ok, you understand,before i sell it

davidcolinburt

And your choice of musical gear?   dcb

shadowjak

Guitars : Tokai Les Paul, fitted with Gibson hardware and Seymour duncan, Slash C5 and a Super Blues Humbunkers.
Fender Strat 1983
Home Built Strat with MMakogany Body,Maple Neck  Fender Vintage pickup  at neck, Seyour Dunacn at mid and Seyour Duncan Fat rail at brodge, with 7 different  posible  pickup combinations
Ozark Electro Acoustic
Araia Acoustic 1976
Watkins Bass  1963 vintage
Apm ; Fender Hotrod deluxe
Pedal board  and an assortent of pedals,most of which don't get used now.I use a boost box, sometimes a Seymour Duncan Blue 2 a Boss V10 ,a colour sound  Volume pedal,I;ve had for nearly 50 years, ibanez tube screamer and echo box,  I've a  Boss Compression pedal, an FDR-1 pedal, a univibe a boss harmonizer that I won in a  comp and never used.
I mainly use , the echo the Boost  the V10 and the univibe

davidcolinburt

Nice. I will get back to you with my rig, soon.   dcb

shadowjak

No rush. As I've gotten older, I gone back to my roots,musically

davidcolinburt

So, my gear:  74 Fender Strat modified with Rumpelstiltskin handmade pups, noise reduction and rewired circuitry to use all combinations of pups. Squier Strat 60s Classic Vibe soon to be modified with pups handmade for me in Las Vegas -- a gift from the craftsman. Fender Tele Highway One with handmade pups from Rumpelstiltskin (West Virginia). Squier Tele Classic Vibe with Dimarzio Twang King pups. Two Squier Bullet Strats (made in Indonesia - so OK). A 1965 Gibson ES 330 modified with an anchored tail piece (LP style). Epiphone Emily SG psychedelic art design. Gibson Les Paul Special TV Yellow limited edition with P-90s (newest gf). Vintage Roland GR300 with G303 guitar-controller (a la Pat Metheny). William Laskin 1977 acoustic guitar with cutaway. A pint-sized Yamaha APXT2 travel / writing guitar (nice) with pint-sized Yamaha travel amp that works on either batteries or AC. A Mexican-made Fender P-bass and Fender Rumble 30 rehearsal / small-room bass amp.
     Go-to amp is a Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 reissue modified with a 12" Celestion Gold speaker and Mullard quick-saturation 12AX7A input tubes, etc. (sweet). One of the first Mesa Boogie amps ever made (serial # A214) now called a Mark-1 or Mark-2 modified with a vintage 12" EV speaker (don't know where the original JBL K120 got to). Solid state amps include Fender Mustangs 1 & 2 and a Vox Pathfinder 15. Miscellaneous stringed instruments include A charango armadilla, a benguela, a uke, an unstrung banjo, an unstrung nylon-string guitar, a beat-me-up acoustic party guitar and a pile of percussion curiosities including seashell wind-chimes from the beaches of Hua Hin.
     I have a modest host of pedals that I take to gigs and sessions in a Boss carry case / power supply: Lately, I've been running a Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner, Origin Effects Cali76 compressor-limiter, Fulltone OCD overdrive, an Xotic Effects Soul Driver (awesome), an Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork octave and multi-purpose pedal, Boss CE-5, Boss RV-3 that I am soon going to sub out for a Wampler Ethereal Reverb-Delay unit (lush). On the side I have a few classic pedals as well as a fairly new Cry Baby Mini Wah.
     On my Mac desktop OSX I'm running ProTools 10 with lots of apps and plug-ins, M-Box Pro analogue-digital interface, an Oxygen 49 keyboard midi-controller, some nice Yorkville speakers and a decent sub-woofer. Add to that KRK KNS-8400 phones, AKG K240 phones, etc, and a host of studio worthy dynamic and condenser mics. Everything else, I rent as I need it. One day I would love to have a drum room and house kit. I use Super-Drummer samples (Easy Drummer company), which is wonderful but I'm still doing the learning curve with all of this studio shite. I produce but I've always relied on an engineer in the past -- Now I have to do both jobs. 
     I have a website at davidcolinburt (dot com) and a Youtube channel that I need to start building up. I also have a ReverbNation account. I'm 69 and working out at the University of Toronto Athletic Centre in an attempt to keep in road-warrior fit condition. My wife is Thai, living in Toronto at this time -- a sous chef at a popular Thai restaurant. We have a rented house in Toronto and a nice mortgaged place in Bangkok.
     I love to hang out in Krabi Town and Koh Chang because there are decent music scenes in these places. Actually, there is great music throughout Thailand. Hua Hin also boasts of a good music scene as well as an annual jazz festival -- There are a pile of expat blues players including players from California, Scotland, etc, that I've met online . . . all living and working there.
     Anyway, that's my rig rundown. I'm keeping educated through Recording Revolution, Advanced Music Production (AMP), Master Class, and some free Berklee courses through Coursera. (writing, lyric writing, composing film scoring, jazz improv courses (I'm not a jazz player outright but I've always studied and applied the elements to my playing and writing.
     My day job, 4 mornings a week: Teaching English as a Second Language to adults at CCVT -- Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture (and war). I'm one of a handful of teachers in the whole world who does this kind of work so I have to do some public speaking every so often. Between all of that, I still find time to knock back a few pints.
     Military background as a teen? Cadets-Reserves in Hamilton Ontario Canada -- Sutherland Highlanders and Argyles (among the sharpest troops in the world whenever they are allowed to command themselves). 

Cheers.   dcb

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

• Work visa in Thailand
    Work visa in Thailand

To be able to work in Thailand and stay in the country without needing to apply for visa extensions regularly, you ...

• Retiring in Thailand
    Retiring in Thailand

I have lived in Thailand for over a year now, on a variety of visas. This week I applied for and received a ...

• Work Permit Renewal
    Work Permit Renewal

Work Permit renewal must be done prior to the expiration date of the permit term. You could locate this date from ...

• Connecting to the Internet in Thailand
    Connecting to the Internet in Thailand

Having reliable internet is a priority for many foreigners living in Thailand — not just for work reasons if ...

• Getting a landline or mobile phone in Thailand
    Getting a landline or mobile phone in Thailand

Once you touch down in Thailand, you will probably want to get a mobile phone with a local Thai SIM so that you ...

• Dating in Thailand
    Dating in Thailand

Thailand is one of the top destinations in the world when it comes to travel, but not only that. In recent years, ...

• Healthcare for the elderly in Thailand
    Healthcare for the elderly in Thailand

Thailand is one of the world's most popular retirement destinations. There are a number of reasons for that, ...

• Working in Chiang Mai
    Working in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai's ethnic diversity, breathtaking scenery, and the multitude of festivals and attractions ...

All of Thailand's guide articles