Getting prescribed methadone for opiate addiction

Me and my wife are planning to move to Saudi Arabia Riyadh in August . I'm currently in a methadone program . I want to know if there is any methadone clinics in Riyadh . If not will any doctor prescribe it to me ? I can't seem to find any information regarding this . Thanks for any help . I also speak Arabic as well if some of the recomenditions are only Arabic .

You've probably picked the worst country in the world for an addict to visit or live in.
Apart from that gem, don't take any with you if you life life as they're likely to execute you if nabbed with it at the airport.
Good luck with finding it, but a rethink is probably in order.

I don't think I'll have a problem bringing my medicine with me . As long as I get it translated and all the necessary paperwork . My problem is my clinic only allows a month supply max to take with me . So when I'm there I'm trying to see if I can get it prescribed . I've been calling around clinics none of them seem to have a clue . The worst customer service I've ever experienced ! Lol

Endlesshope wrote:

I don't think I'll have a problem bringing my medicine with me . As long as I get it translated and all the necessary paperwork .

Check that with the nearest Saudi embassy before you travel or you could face the death penalty when you arrive. Get clearance in writing, signed by a named senior official.
This has a downside, that being you're very likely to be blacklisted so unable to enter the country, but that's less likely to ruin your day than having your head chopped off - as is very possible if you turn up in Saudi with a large amount of such a drug.

Endlesshope wrote:

I've been calling around clinics none of them seem to have a clue . The worst customer service I've ever experienced ! Lol

Is it, or is it more likely addiction is so rare and/or off the radar, they have no clue what you're talking about?

Methadone is a controlled drug throughout most of the GCC.  But having said that, it is available as per the drug registration record by SFDA.   Practically, in Saudi, this is likely to be in the bigger government or private hospitals only; not all pharmacies are likely to stock it and supply will fluctuate as demand is not as high in the west - many problems in this part of the world but drug addiction is not one of them or even if it is; not acknowledged as such.  Keep in mind that even run of the mill psychiatric medicines are out of stock most times here - very different from rest of GCC......I have always wondered as to whether it is a mindset which doesn't prioritise these kind of illnesses.

To be able to bring in controlled medicine legally into any GCC country; you need to have the prescription attested by the GCC embassy in your home country.  So this works like this: prescription in English or Arabic attested by your ministry of foreign affairs followed by the Saudi embassy in your home country.

Having said that, if it is not a huge quantity, no one bothers to check at the airport.  However, the risk is there because you are carrying an "opioid".  If it was any other controlled drug e.g. anti-depressants, it would not be a big deal as while controlled, you can still buy most over the counter here.  The few drugs which they really enforce controlled distribution for are ones which can generate or sustain addiction (morphine, other opioids, tramadol etc) or can be used to do illegal activities like abortion (misoprostol).   This applies to Saudi.  Controlled medicine, irrespective of nature as above, in other GCC countries e.g. UAE, are REALLY controlled and the law is enforced.

And the customer service will get even worse when you are physically here. Better get used to that.

Do you have any idea on where to start calling ? Or who ? I would love a recommendation. I don't wanna go there and end up coming back cuz I can't get it prescribed . I would be homeless if that happened

If you want to make sure.... And mind you, it's a bit complicated logistics wise.... Go to Bahrain for a visit and get it there. Best bet is psychiatrists and ones who deal with substance abuse. They can prescribe and with a gcc prescription you can bring it into Saudi. Look up Dr eyad jamsheer online, he has a website. If he doesn't deal with it, he can guide as he has a wealth of knowledge having practiced in Canada, Saudi and Bahrain.

Saudi you can get a prescription and consultation from average doctors but availability as I mentioned.... Will be sporadic.

I'm having the same problem I want to move to Bahrain but my plan is to reduce and detox from the methadone in the first month I dont know what I need is it just letter from doctor and everything labelled correctly ??

Read above carefully.  Your questions have already been answered.

Thanks for your response

So I finally got my answer. My uncle lives there and spoke to 5 different doctors and pharmacist , turns out they do have it there . You have to make sure you have all your clinic paperwork stating how much you take how often and if your gonna start coming off soon . I'm getting all the details of what I have to do tonight and will post soon . Just wanted to let you guys know that it's possible and I now have confirmation by doctors that work there as they have done this before for previous patients .

I have spoken to various friends / family members who are prescribed narcotics who frequently visit Saudi Arabia this isn't true at all . Bringing medication is legal as long as it's your prescription.

Not fully true.  You are relying on anecdotal information. 

I think you need to distinguish between two things.  One is the legality and the other is problems that you experience at the airport. 

As I already mentioned, in 99% of the cases, no one will ever check at the airport what you are carrying.  Also, if you have a prescription issued in the GCC, generally they accept it without any issue or further requirement for attestation (prescriptions outside GCC need attestation to be valid but Saudi doesn't enforce this except for problematic medicine, read below - and even then, sometimes they let it go depending on who is at the counter and the mood of the guy).  The last point relates to WHAT you are carrying - if you are carrying a higher quantity and of a medicine which is notorious for substance abuse or other purposes like abortion, it is a risk.  For example, you can carry anti-psychotics like olanzapine and they won't blink an eye as these while heavily controlled / regulated everywhere in the world; are available over the counter easily in Saudi. 

But carry something like tramadol / misoprostol and the equation changes.  An example:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/nri … 221891.cms

Check this link for official instructions. Then co-relate this with the drug list on SDFA site to see if your medicine is in the banned or prohibited list.  The site is not working now so I can't check:

https://www.saudiembassy.net/bringing-p … udi-arabia

On Saudi customs site; it shows this (they are showing methadone but the description that comes up could be incorrect):

2922    292231000000    - - Amfepramone (INN), methadone (INN), and normethadone (INN), salts therof
2926    292630000000    - Fenproporex (INN) and its salts;methadone (INN) intermediate(4- cyano- 2- dimethylamino- 4,4- diphenylbutane).   
Blasting and chemical materials incorporated in the manufacture of the explosives, radioactive materials, firecrackers, gunpowder, potassium chlorate, and all products and substances shown in the Public Security's lists wherever provided in the Harmonized System Nomenclature, shall not be released except by a prior permission from the Public Security. But chemicals and substances other than those mentioned above require a prior release from the Industry, Commerce, or Health ministries, or the Department of Meteorology & Environment Protection, each in its respective field and supervision.

What you need to understand about the GCC is that while laws exist, the application of the same is arbitrary and depends a lot on your luck at the airport.  Also, not all narcotics are treated equally.

Lastly, if you are transiting to Saudi via any other country e.g. UAE, be very very careful as it is a whole different ball game there.  You WILL need attested prescriptions to even carry drugs in transit through UAE.  People have been detained in the past.

I traveled to Bahrain with my letter from my doctor and nothing more as that's the information the gp was given from the relevant authorities had it been 3 months supply then you would need certificates but because its below a certain amount the legal requirements are different so I had no issues at immigration

I agree with Fred and Xtang, it is almost impossible to get narcotics prescribed here in Kingdom.  I have been to several doctors for historical ailments and have been told to take paracetamol or been given an epidural cortisone injections; neither which worked.  In the states I took oxy to suppress the pain.  As far as the customs element, though it is much less strenuous than in the past they are very serious about prohibiting these type of drugs.  I had to wean off the meds before coming here.

So In my case methadone I can get it prescribed there I have to get my medical records authenticated by the Saudi embassy here to make sure it's legit . I'm not getting a new prescription . I'm already on my meds . Every day . I'm just transferring care there .