Menu
Expat.com

NIE help!

Last activity 10 July 2018 by Marnie22

josephineholf

Hello everyone!

I know there is a lot of posts surrounding the topic of NIE but none of them seem to answer my specific questions! I'm English and I will be moving to Seville in September. I have had a job offer and they need me to get an NIE number for them to write up a contract. The only thing I am worried about is if I move there and apply when I'm there, I've heard it takes a long period of time for me attain my NIE number - which of course is not good as I have a fixed start date. 

Is there any way of applying for an NIE in the UK? I've heard that you cannot go through the Spanish Consulate in London if you are looking to live in Spain - is this true? Is there any way I can maybe book an appointment for the Oficina de Extranjeras in Seville for my application?

Please any advice you can give! Very stressed!

Thanks!

Johncar

If you move to spain then you must apply for EU Citizen Registration   That means you cannot apply for an NIE.  If you already have an NIE when make the registration application that number becomes the number on the reg cert when it is issued

A formal job offer means you will not need to prove income nor medical cover

There is no point in applying for just the NIE of you are moving to spain although it is possible providing you do not say it is because you will move here

Once you present the application the certificate is issued fairly quickly

josephineholf

Ok, thank you. So I only need to apply for EU Citizen Registration when I move to Sevilla? And this will include my NIE number which my employer is asking for?

Do you know if it is the Oficina de Extranjerías that I go to? And if so do you know if there is any way of booking an appointment online prior to arriving in Spain?

Thank you so much for your help.

Johncar

The office you go to is the one which covers the area where you are living/ staying at the time

I do not have details how to make an appointment at present other than doing it at the extranjeria where you will make the application.

josephineholf

Ok, thanks so much for your help!

Johncar

https://sede.administracionespublicas.g … index.html

I saw this posted just now as a contact where one can make apointment  for NIE, EU Reg etc

I had a quick look but it did not appear too user friendly so good luck

Marnie22

I personally applied for the NIE first, from France to the Spanish consulate in Paris, because they needed it for the contract and I was not living in Spain at the time
A simple NIE allow to open a bank account easily, a mobile line, to rent !

Because you need a NIE to rent most of the time but you can not have the certificado if you do not have an address in Spain

Then I applied for the certificado when I was living there (3 months after)

Articles to help you in your expat project in Sevilla

• Getting married in Spain
    Getting married in Spain

Congratulations! You have found the partner of your dreams and want to get married in Spain. And why not? The ...

• Traveling to Spain
    Traveling to Spain

You're thinking about a new life abroad and all the opportunities it can bring, but before you relocate ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Accommodation in Seville
    Accommodation in Seville

Seville is a southern Andalusian city that's easy to fall in love with. The Moorish architecture works of art, ...

• Working in Seville 
    Working in Seville 

Seville is the capital of the autonomous community of Andalusia and home to its government. It is a lively ...

• Studying in Seville
    Studying in Seville

Seville is one of Spain's most romantic cities, with gorgeous architecture, orange blossoms, horse-drawn ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Developing your social circle in Seville
    Developing your social circle in Seville

For many people, building a new circle of friends is one of the most daunting aspects of being an expat. Missing ...

All of Sevilla's guide articles