Retiring to Costa Rica?

Having done some research and considering the central mountains of Costa Rica are the Andes in Ecuador - seeking cool weather, a vibrant expat community, and the rich cultural environment and I'm looking to rent a small house with a yard for two dogs
Any tips or advice?

What temps. are you looking for? You would have to live at a high altitude to have 'cool' temps. here, in the tropics.

San Ramon has cool weather at night and often during the rainy season during mornings or afternoons, but there are also  plenty of hot days.
I do know of a house such as you want for rent but it would require a 4x4 and is 4 miles off the highway west of town.
So how cool do you want it? And how much are you looking to pay for a house? That will help us figure out if anyone we know has something you'd be interested in.
And how long do you want to rent here in Costa Rica? You know your visa is only good for 3 months then you have to leave the country for at least 1 min and cross back in...

Cyclist wrote:

Having done some research and considering the central mountains of Costa Rica are the Andes in Ecuador - seeking cool weather, a vibrant expat community, and the rich cultural environment and I'm looking to rent a small house with a yard for two dogs
Any tips or advice?

Hola Cyclist,

Welcome to the world of Expat.com!

As I always harp on, first read through the many posts on the site, both new and old to get an idea of what life is like here in CR.  Do the same on the Expat.com site for Ecuador.  There's a lot of information and opinions waiting for you.

Remember, what you're reading are opinions - good, bad or otherwise, you need to take time to explore whatever you are interested to arrive at your opinion.  We're all unique in our own strange ways and what I like you might hate.  What I might consider cool or vibrant you may not.  This will also apply to weather, elevation, location, etc., etc., etc.

As has been suggested, spend as much time as you can in both countries and find what fits your needs.  You're on the right track, find a place to rent and go exploring from their.  It's very easy to move and experience various areas.  Costa Rica is a very small country and it's relatively easy to see a lot in a short period of time.  Ecuador, that may be another story.

Best of luck on your journey and feel free to ask any questions that you don't find answers to in the Forums.

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member

Thinking of moving to Grecia

Cyclist wrote:

Thinking of moving to Grecia

Hola Cyclist,

That would probably be a great starting point for you.  It is centrally located and has the large expat community that you said you were looking for.  Spend time there, explore and let us know how it all turns out.

Good luck,
- Expat Dave