Menu
Expat.com

Critical insurance or Long term illness scheme

Last activity 26 July 2018 by Cynic

Romeknows

Hi! I am from the US and moving to Ireland in 2020 (my husband is a citizen). I have Multiple sclerosis and am wondering what i do. So do I need critical illness insurance because that looks like a part of life insurance; or do I get basic free healthcare and I am covered under the long term illness scheme ? I just don’t understand- please help

Cynic

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

This link will answer your question.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Romeknows

It doesn’t :-( I’m just so confused with it all. It didn’t say the difference between the two or if they’re the same or different or if I need both .....

Cynic

The Irish have a medical card system for which everyone is entitled to apply; it explains it here.

To apply for a card, you have to fill in the form here.

This link goes through the whole process step by step; it also provides a contact phone number for you to phone them and ask questions.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Articles to help you in your expat project in Ireland

• The health system in Ireland
    The health system in Ireland

While the health system in Ireland often comes in for a hard time, there are also some positive aspects to it. ...

• Finding a job in Ireland from abroad
    Finding a job in Ireland from abroad

If you are looking for a job in Ireland and you are living abroad, then you will have plenty of opportunities to ...

• The work culture in Dublin
    The work culture in Dublin

Whenever you move to a new city or country, it will take some time for you to get used to the standard practices ...

• Travelling to Ireland
    Travelling to Ireland

If you are planning to travel to the beautiful island of Ireland, it is important that you are aware of any ...

• Cost of living in Ireland
    Cost of living in Ireland

It should be noted that in general the cost of living in the Republic of Ireland is decreasing. However, as ...

• Studying make-up in Ireland
    Studying make-up in Ireland

If you are from overseas, you can still study in Ireland and without paying a fortune. Overseas students ...

• Professional visas in Ireland
    Professional visas in Ireland

There are a lot of job opportunities for professionals in Ireland. As it is a member of the European Union, those ...

• The labour market in Ireland
    The labour market in Ireland

Ireland is going through a sustained period of economic growth. As a result, unemployment levels in the country ...

All of Ireland's guide articles