How much time can I stay in the country after being fired?.

Hi,

I've been working for 2 years in a company here in Denmark, and the company fired some people, me included, I googled but couldn't find a definite answer, how much time can I stay in Denmark while looking for a new job?.

I'm a European citizen.

Thanks.

Never a good experience to be fired, but fortunately, this won't influent your residence permit, provided that you have registered unemployed at the municipal job centre. If not, do it at once.
https://www.retsinformation.dk/forms/R0 … ?id=137179
(§ 3 stk. 2 nr. 2)

Statsforvaltningen (the administrator of the resident permits) has this guidance on the law on page 22:
3.4.2 Uforskyldt arbejdsløshed efter mere end 1 års lønnet beskæftigelse

And remember, you are always welcome to contact Statsforvaltningen:
https://www.statsforvaltningen.dk/site.aspx?p=5466

Fingers crossed that you'll soon have a new job.

/Nellie

Nellie Berg wrote:

Never a good experience to be fired, but fortunately, this won't influent your residence permit, provided that you have registered unemployed at the municipal job centre. If not, do it at once.
https://www.retsinformation.dk/forms/R0 … ?id=137179
(§ 3 stk. 2 nr. 2)

Statsforvaltningen (the administrator of the resident permits) has this guidance on the law on page 22:
3.4.2 Uforskyldt arbejdsløshed efter mere end 1 års lønnet beskæftigelse

And remember, you are always welcome to contact Statsforvaltningen:
https://www.statsforvaltningen.dk/site.aspx?p=5466

Fingers crossed that you'll soon have a new job.

/Nellie

Hi, thanks a lot for the reply, I've read that section you mentioned, to clarify, would that mean that I can stay indefinitely in the country as long as I can sustain myself?, or do I have a certain maximum time to find a new job?. Thanks.

I suggest to you that you ask Statsforvaltningen. You can find the mail address here: https://www.statsforvaltningen.dk/site.aspx?p=8915

That's my best advice as the procedure could depend on how you are registered at arrival, but any way, it'll be possible for you to stay.

/Nellie

OK, so after calling them they gave me some kind of bad news I guess, there are not written in stone rules apparently, they will communicate with me once I have to leave the country, and from the moment I get the letter I'll have about 3 weeks.

They couldn't tell me in my case how much time I could stay, it varies from person to person.

I still didn't hear from them, but that makes it a bit troublesome since I can't plan ahead.

Oh well, could be worse :).

But surely if you are an EU citizen and you can support yourself there would not be any time length in for you to leave the country?

That's what I thought some time ago, but after talking with them that's not the case apparently.

When talking to her she also mentioned something about how involved I was with the Danish community, if I went to Tivoli, things like that.

It sounded weird, I might need to go in person there, regardless of she saying that even if I went there it wouldn't change anything since they can't give me a definite answer.

It is always best to talk in person, I rarely get a straight answer when talking to officials on the phone.

What is your home country may I ask?

I arrived to this country as Argentinian, that's my home country. But about a year ago I became Estonian.

I will go this Monday and talk to them in person.

I must admit that I am puzzled too. If you can support yourself and you are a EU citizen, .... Do ask them how much you shall earn in order to stay. The paper company is always in need of paper deliverers, and the pay is okay. It may be a solution until you have found a real job.

My only thought is that you can't give any evidence that you have the money or you don't have enough?

Money is not the problem, I have in my bank account and I can still claim the money of the non taken holidays that sums up to a full month.

Nellie Berg wrote:

I must admit that I am puzzled too. If you can support yourself and you are a EU citizen, .... Do ask them how much you shall earn in order to stay. The paper company is always in need of paper deliverers, and the pay is okay. It may be a solution until you have found a real job.

Well I came here as software developer, but, these past few weeks I've been thinking on taking a part time job as "something physical" and work the rest of the time on a project of my own that in the future I would like to make a company based on.

Do you know where I can find these places to get those kinds of jobs?. Wouldn't be bad to have some exercise while delivering papers tbh :)

Look for Bladkompagniet job. There is also the it-jobbank.dk. And others. I'll do a little more research on Tuesday when I am back home.
And please keep the forum updated, will you?

/Nellie

Hi again, I went personally to Statsforvaltningen, and after they reviweing my case the person who attend me said that I didn't need to worry, specially because I wasn't receiving benefits from a A-Kasse. Not sure why he mentioned that, but I guess I should be happy I never got one.

Good to hear this news.

Receiving money from an A-kasse (unemployment insurance) is equated with receiving social benefits as the A-kasse also receives money from the state as part of the funding.

It often comes as an unpleasant surprise to many expats that this means that they cannot stay in Denmark.

I hope you'll soon find a good job. Fingers crossed.

/Nellie