Menu
Expat.com

The nightlife scene in France

Last activity 27 August 2018 by Karen Jordan

Priscilla

Hello,

Having access to a good nightlife scene can be a determining factor for many expats upon choosing their next destination. Tell us more about the nightlife in France.

In France, what is the nighlife culture like: is it common for people to go out at night? Is there a big difference between the nightlife during the weekdays and weekends?

What are the most popular evening or nighttime activities (e.g. bars, nightclubs, shows, cultural activities, etc.)?

Is it safe to venture out in the evening and at night in France?

Is there anything in particular that surprised you about the nightlife in France?

Are there any apps or websites (or any other resources) that would help in staying informed about evening and nighttime activities?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

mousemac

I never cease to be astounded by the question "What is X like in France?"
France is a huge country.
Is it safe at night? What is there to do at night? *Whaaaat!!!!???*
Would you dream of asking that of 'America'? "Is it safe at night?" What's nightlife like in the US?"
How about going out and seeing for yourself?

Christine

Hi Mousemac,

Priscilla is from the Expat.com team. We launched this topic to grabe useful information that can be benefit for other members.

In which part of France do you live? You can share on the place where you live.

Thank you,
Christine

Karen Jordan

Hi all,
I have been in Aix-en-Provence for 3 weeks. I googled 'whats on at night in Aix ?', l discovered music concerts every night from 18 to 25 august - all free! Sorry to say its over now, but it has been an amazing and wonderful week! And l might have missed it.

You just have to google your area, or ask your expat group and you will discover amazing things that you did not know about!
Be adventurous! And if you have concern - speak up!

One night it was very late and l was not comfortable walking back to my appartment - half hour walk out of town - on my own. One of the men in my expat group insisted he walk with me. He said you only have to ask. People cannot guess how you feel. In France we are used to being out very late, and walking in the dark, but if it is a problem for you - speak up! Someone will help you! It is not a nice feeling to not feel safe.
I have found this to be true.
Ask questions and speak up - these are my new mottos! Dont hesitate to ask for help!
And enjoy your time in France - as it will probably be over all too soon - and you dont want to leave with regrets!
Bonne chance!

Articles to help you in your expat project in France

All of France's guide articles