Menu
Expat.com

what is cedula

Last activity 11 August 2018 by TerrynViv

frombombay

Hi

Is cedula just identity document ,or resident document or it is powerful document like passport

If we get permanent residence in costa rica ,does we get passport as well or does cedula can be used to travel to countries in europe/schenzen zone

if not what is use of permanent residency of costa rica with regards to international travels or visa free travel any advantage or it just depending own/host country passport

Thanks
Lucky

TerrynViv

There are two types of Residency (Cedula).  You first get temporary residency and you cannot apply for permanent residency until after three years of temporary.  You are not allowed to work with temporary residency unless you work "on line" or have a "work permit".

You cannot get a passport unless you obtain Costa Rica citizenship.  You normally have to have had temporary and permanent residency for seven years to obtain citizenship although there are a few ways that supersede this waiting time and they involve marriage and / or childbirth.

There is no travel benefit involved having permanent residency.

frombombay

Thanks for sharing perfect information i was looking for
so only after 7 years there is benefit of all efforts of maintaining long residency

One more query please ,do need to live in  costa rica during initial 3 years before get permanent residency and later till citizenship or just visiting and staying 1 week per year is enough

samramon

I'm NOT AN ATTORNEY so check this out for yourself but my attorney told me that during temporary residency one only needs to be in  Costa Rica1 day per year. I would assuume (?) that permanent residency would  the same but one should not assume...

TerrynViv

Here is what ARCR has posted on their website.  I would not rely on this to be gospel, check first hand PLEASE

Articles to help you in your expat project in Costa Rica

All of Costa Rica's guide articles