Natural disaster: Earthquake and Tsunami in Indonesia

Hello everyone,

We are deeply aggrieved about the twin disasters Indonesia has been hit by, causing countless victims.

So that we can help each other, here are the emergency numbers for Indonesia:

110         : The police
118/119 : Ambulance
115         : Rescue Team
129         : Natural disaster
123         : Power Company / Electricity Supplier
113         : Firefighter

We also have an article on this topic: Useful contacts and resources in Indonesia.

Please feel free to list more emergency numbers or to share the associations/NGO that help people affected by natural disasters.

The entire Expat.com team and I would like to express our support in these sad circumstances and extend our deepest sympathy to all those who have been touched by this terrible event.

Let us stay strong and united !

Priscilla
Expat.com Team

All my posts in this thread are hopelessly out of date so I removed them as they had the potential to confuse.
I intend to recycle posts to reflect more up to date news.

28 Oct 21

Reader might want to check these routes after heavy rain in Jakarta and/or Bandung.

https://en.tempo.co/read/1521955/heavy- … in-jakarta

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Heavy rains that hit Jakarta and its surrounding regions this afternoon, October 27, resulted in flooding and traffic jams in a number of the city's roads from 6:30 p.m. until now.

One of the congested roads is Cikampek Toll Road heading to Tanjung Priok Toll Road. Due to the flood, one of the road sections was inundated and could not be passed by vehicles.

“The floodwater in Cawang tunnel is at 20 centimeters high,” announced Jakarta's Traffic Management Center via its Instagram @TMCPoldaMetro, Wednesday, October 27.

According to the Google Traffic Forecast report, congestion occurred in a number of toll roads, including on two sections of Pondok Pinang - TMII toll road leading to Meruya and Inner City Toll Road. The worst congestion points were recorded around Semanggi Toll Exit and the House of Representatives or DPR building

Hello Fred,

Thanks a lot for sharing these information with us.

Priscilla  :cheers:

/

Hello everyone,

Thanks for keeping us posted, Fred.

Terrible events struck again in the most horrible way causing heavy loss of life.

Our hearts and thoughts go out to all families of victims, can't imagine how shattered people in Indonesia must be following the recent events. The pain of losing a dear one and the anguish of not knowing if the missing ones will ever be found must be unbearable.

Stay safe everyone,
Team Expat.Com

I just downloaded and watched the movie "Krakatau 1883" from Youtube (english with Indo subtitles)
Interesting watch, half fiction half documentary.
It seems what happened just now is a bit a repeat of the 1883 one, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Looking a lot that way :)

What are the cities that are relatively safe and far from from natural disaster in Indonesia?

Basically all the way from North Sumatra (west coast) all the way past Bali (I think) google ring of fire Indonesia images and gives you an idea
On the west coast of Sumatra it's very common (from first hand experience) to feel earthquake tremors at least weekly

Fred wrote:
khalid298 wrote:

What are the cities that are relatively safe and far from from natural disaster in Indonesia?

The North coast of Java rarely gets quakes but the south sees quite a few as the biggest fault line passes that way. That doesn't mean you're never going to feel one, but there are far fewer and they tend to be weaker.
However, even Jakarta gets them from time to time as I know from experience.

So Yogyakarta could be a safe location (no earthquake, volcano, land slide and tsunami)?

How about Medan?

Fred wrote:
khalid298 wrote:
Fred wrote:

The North coast of Java rarely gets quakes but the south sees quite a few as the biggest fault line passes that way. That doesn't mean you're never going to feel one, but there are far fewer and they tend to be weaker.
However, even Jakarta gets them from time to time as I know from experience.

So Yogyakarta could be a safe location (no earthquake, volcano, land slide and tsunami)?

How about Medan?

Yogya or the surrounding area can get the lot.

You mean it is not spared ?

I go to Yogya a lot - I love the place.

Fred wrote:
khalid298 wrote:
Fred wrote:

Yogya or the surrounding area can get the lot.

You mean it is not spared ?

One pretty active volcano that pops every couple of years and not that far from the line of two tectonic plates with a habit of moving means Yogya and the area gets a few scares from time to time, sometimes ones big enough to require a change of underwear.

However, don't get the idea huge bits of the city have been reduced to rubble with thousands dead because big quakes are rare and the volcanoes are normally a bigger problem to air traffic than they are to people a few miles away.

I would sh*t my pants too LOL
But have you been in Medan? It looks geographically safer.