Menu
Expat.com

Transferring Money INTO Vietnam

Last activity 12 November 2018 by GuestPoster0147

vndreamer

We use TransferWise and have never had a problem.  We only send small amounts when we use it so it is cheaper than the bank.

Playstyle

I've never had issues with wire transfers, just remember middle names are considered apart of your full name in Vietnam, so be sure to make sure everything matches.

herbj

Which banks and have you used it to transfer money?

Laurent futur Nha Trang
Andy Passenger wrote:

Why did you open a USD account if you want to pay land with VND?

Don't believe everything the eternal skeptics here in the forum say.

I've only had the best experiences with Vietnamese banks so far.
The procedures both via e-banking and at the counter are very secure.
I have transferred many times money from my account in my home country to the Vietnamese VND account.
From there I have transferred money to other Vietnamese bank accounts via e-banking.
Or I transfered money to other Vietnamese people via e-banking or from the bank counter (e.g. for a property or a car).
I can also transfer money to my wife's VND account.

I only know that it is not possible to deposit cash into my account and that Vietnamese nationals cannot transfer money to a foreigner's account.
Transferring money from a Vietnamese bank account to my home country is something I have never done before, so I can't tell if it's possible.

If you not trust Vietnamese banks, transfer just what you need to buy land.
Or transfer the rest of the money to your wife's account (that would work if you would had a VND account).
Recently, almost all of our transactions have been made through my wife's bank account.
Because if we sell something (e.g. a property or a car), the Vietnamese buyers can't transfer the money to my account.
So it is easiest if the money is transferred from a sale to her account and is transferred from her account to the seller at the next purchase.
The prerequisites for this are of course that you trust your wife.  smile.png

Hello,
You said  vietnamese nationals cannot transfer money to a foreigner's account (vietnamese account) whereas foreigners can transfer money from their vietnamese accounts to vietnamse accounts of vietnamese nationals . But is it possible for foreigners to transfer money from their vietnamese accounts to vietnamese acounts of another foreigners ?
Thanks in advance :-)
Laurent

GuestPoster0147
Laurent futur Nha Trang wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:

Why did you open a USD account if you want to pay land with VND?

Don't believe everything the eternal skeptics here in the forum say.

I've only had the best experiences with Vietnamese banks so far.
The procedures both via e-banking and at the counter are very secure.
I have transferred many times money from my account in my home country to the Vietnamese VND account.
From there I have transferred money to other Vietnamese bank accounts via e-banking.
Or I transfered money to other Vietnamese people via e-banking or from the bank counter (e.g. for a property or a car).
I can also transfer money to my wife's VND account.

I only know that it is not possible to deposit cash into my account and that Vietnamese nationals cannot transfer money to a foreigner's account.
Transferring money from a Vietnamese bank account to my home country is something I have never done before, so I can't tell if it's possible.

If you not trust Vietnamese banks, transfer just what you need to buy land.
Or transfer the rest of the money to your wife's account (that would work if you would had a VND account).
Recently, almost all of our transactions have been made through my wife's bank account.
Because if we sell something (e.g. a property or a car), the Vietnamese buyers can't transfer the money to my account.
So it is easiest if the money is transferred from a sale to her account and is transferred from her account to the seller at the next purchase.
The prerequisites for this are of course that you trust your wife.  smile.png

Hello,
You said  vietnamese nationals cannot transfer money to a foreigner's account (vietnamese account) whereas foreigners can transfer money from their vietnamese accounts to vietnamse accounts of vietnamese nationals . But is it possible for foreigners to transfer money from their vietnamese accounts to vietnamese acounts of another foreigners ?
Thanks in advance :-)
Laurent

I think this is possible.
I have already trasfered some 100 mil. VND from my Sacombank VND account to my Timo (VPBank) VND account. So I think I can also transfer to another foreigner VND account.

Laurent futur Nha Trang

Humm... There's no doubt about transferring to another own vietnamese account. I have also made this many times. But this fact isn't not a sign that it's possible to transfer to another foreigner... We need someone gives experience of this.

Playstyle

Anyone can wire money to your account internationally, it doesn't matter if they are a foreigner or Vietnamese. It converted from USD to VND before the money lands in your account.

l3ully

It's virtually the same easy, than receiving money from a inland transfer, everywhere. Depending on source country/currency and/or holidays, you just might be patient for a few days until it's cleared and deposited, I had already within a couple of hours and once even 6 weeks (payment from India, arriving here somehow in the last few hours before TET. sso that was a long, very long clearance. Usually it should be well below 1 week

Playstyle
herbj wrote:

Which banks and have you used it to transfer money?

Mostly SHB, transferred around 2-3b into Vietnam.

GuestPoster0147
Playstyle wrote:

Anyone can wire money to your account internationally, it doesn't matter if they are a foreigner or Vietnamese. It converted from USD to VND before the money lands in your account.

International, that's not the problem.

The problem is within Vietnam from a Vietnamese citizen to a foreigner.  I have experienced it several times, no matter what others say.  Not even my own wife can pay into my account.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Opening a bank account in Vietnam
    Opening a bank account in Vietnam

If you have decided to settle in Vietnam, you will definitely need to open a bank account. Not only will this be ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles