Menu
Expat.com

Cashing USD $ checks

Last activity 07 August 2021 by AB_Wayne

AB_Wayne

Please advise if a USD dollar check issued in USA can be cashed or deposited and how?

ckitano

You need to check with your local bank. Likely a local VN bank cant/wont... Maybe Citibank or HSBC or another can.
I know US banks will in the US, it takes a long time on hold, but VN is totally different.

contact some banks including yours in VN.

AB_Wayne

Agreed, my Nam A Bank in Can Tho has indicated they can not do

Budman1

I'll reply tomorrow with everything you need to know. You ain't going to like it though. BEER TIME.
Rick

THIGV

Funny how Benjamins ($100 bills for you Euro people) are practically the "coin of the realm" in Vietnam but you can't cash a $100 check.

Budman1

Well unfortunately having gone through this a few times in the past 15 years here, my suggestion is this. If it's a check drawn on a USA bank, have the sender cancel it and send the money with TRANSFERWISE or MONEYGRAM to you. If it's a US Government  Treasury check you'll need to open account with ANZ (if their still operating in VN) or HSBC then deposit the check with them in your account. It'll take about 3 weeks to clear and your looking at a transaction fee for about 3% up to 6%. The other option is to sign it over to a 3rd party that you trust back in the States, mail it to them to cash it for you and send it back through the two above (TW or MG) to you. Forget about any Local VN banks, and don't waste your time asking, it ain't going to happen. If you do decide to mail it back to the States on the VN Customs form claim it as a "Financial Document" not a money check.
Rick

AB_Wayne

Feedback appreciated and understand local issues processing check-working through options with issuer in US

drutter

Agreed with everyone above. There are no local VN banks that will cash a check drawn on US dollars. Like almost everyone, I've tried it and it just isn't happening.
Next time you're back in America I strongly suggest you open an account there - preferably with HSBC, Citibank  or one of those known to be more expat friendly.

AB_Wayne

Have git options in US with my account, but 3rd party required.

Appreciated feedback

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Opening a bank account in Vietnam
    Opening a bank account in Vietnam

If you have decided to settle in Vietnam, you will definitely need to open a bank account. Not only will this be ...

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles