Menu
Expat.com

VN government changes birth certificate rules

Last activity 23 January 2019 by Roy888

Roy888

Hi everyone,
Again some **** going on in Vietnam.... We got a notice  today regarding newly changed rules for  names on birth certificates issued in Vietnam for mixed  children..... They say that dating  back to 2017 all certificates issued must  have the Vietnamese surname and middle name.... A month ago we reveived a birth certificate for  my son with my Danish surname and his western first name and his Vietnamese middle name , as instructed by the justice department in Saigon.... we also got a DK passport  for him.... now  we have to apply for a VN passport in order to be able to take him with  us out of  the country....or can we get a Visa  in his DK passport, so that we can leave??
Anybody have the same problem???
We will leave Vietnam for good in a few months anyway, so should we just ignore  all this new **** from the VN government?

Moderated by Diksha 5 years ago
Reason : Foul language
GuestPoster0147
Roy888 wrote:

Hi everyone,
Again some shit going on in Vietnam.... We got a notice  today regarding newly changed rules for  names on birth certificates issued in Vietnam for mixed  children..... They say that dating  back to 2017 all certificates issued must  have the Vietnamese surname and middle name.... A month ago we reveived a birth certificate for  my son with my Danish surname and his western first name and his Vietnamese middle name , as instructed by the justice department in Saigon.... we also got a DK passport  for him.... now  we have to apply for a VN passport in order to be able to take him with  us out of  the country....or can we get a Visa  in his DK passport, so that we can leave??
Anybody have the same problem???
We will leave Vietnam for good in a few months anyway, so should we just ignore  all this new shit from the VN government?

How do you know the rules changed?

With us it was like that:
We wanted Vietnamese citizenship for our daughter.
We wanted her to get my wife's last name, a western and a Vietnamese first name.
The authorities did not accept the western first name and we changed it to a second Vietnamese first name.

This probably means that your child with your Danish name is no longer entitled to Vietnamese citizenship.

As far as I remember there was a thread where this was discussed.

In our case, after registering in my home country, our daughter automatically had also the citizenship of my home country.

In summary, this means that the child must have a full Vietnamese name and the application for the birth certificate must state that the child will obtain Vietnamese citizenship.  Only then will the child obtain Vietnamese citizenship and you can apply for a Vietnamese passport.

I think in your case you have to apply for a Danish passport and a visa for your child.

The question remains, the child is already in Vietnam and has no entry stamp?

Roy888

Thanks for  your reply Andy,
how long ago did you get your child's registration?... and where?... I understand each city may interpret the rules differently..... anyhow, we did get the DNA test first, then off to the HCMC District 2 Jurisdiction office, got his VN birth certificate with my name as father and my gf's name as mother.... they accepted our name choice... my last name, western first name and VN middle name..... then off to get a Danish passport, which was easy..... The Embassy told us to get a VN passport for my son, before leaving, then we can all leave in peace.... another option is obviously a Visa in his passport, but several Visa agencies told me that they can only get a Visa for him upon arrival to VN, so i guess a VN passport is the best solution, unless we can find a agency that can get a Visa for him....... we will now try to get him a VN passport, since it is recommended by the Embassy...... Will keep you posted  how it went

GuestPoster0147

We received the birth certificate in November 2018.
That was in Ben Luc (Long An).

Yes, thank you, keep me informed.
I was of the opinion that it is not possible to obtain Vietnamese citizenship after birth with a foreign name.

Why do you mention the DNA test? Was that required?

With us everything was more or less simple (except that they had not accepted the second western first name).
We had the birth certificate from the maternity clinic (Giấy Chứng Sinh), then we had to fill in two forms, "TỜ KHAI ĐĂNG KÝ KHAI SINH" and "VĂN BẢN BẢN THỎA THUẬN CHỌN QUỐC TỊCH CHO CON" to confirm the desired Vietnamese citizenship.
Then a letter of authorization (Giấy ủy quyền) for the mother of my wife, handed her our passports and she went to the office and came back with the birth certificate (Giấy Khai Sinh) and the excerpt from the register of births (Trích Lục Khai Sinh) for my home country.

GuestPoster0147

@ Roy888
Not quite sure what your asking/saying. As I understand it you are all going back to Denmark and your child has a Danish passport. The  will not require a visa to enter Denmark as he is a citizen of Denmark. He does not need a visa to exit a country but to enter.
As far as rules changes on naming conventions in VN
You give no evidence of a change. Just the same issue we have always faced for quite sometime since the rules changed several years ago. And yes, the smaller cities always get  confused on the law. And they hold there ground. But you can still get it done  with any names you wish since the child is of mixed cultures. You just have to insist. Showing them does not seem to help. But they see very few such cases. We got ours done in HCM even though we live in a smaller city that refused.

Roy888

Thanks for  your reply, but you are wrong, my son clearly needs either a VN passport or a VN Visa to exit the country, so that's what we are trying to get now..... Entering Denmark only requires the Danish passport

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saigon

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Traveling to Vietnam
    Traveling to Vietnam

Many citizens from across the globe require visas to enter Vietnam, so it is strongly advised to have everything ...

• Working in Vietnam
    Working in Vietnam

Anyone thinking about working in Vietnam is in for a treat. Compared to many Western countries, Vietnam's ...

• Setting up a business in Vietnam
    Setting up a business in Vietnam

Foreign entrepreneurs from across the globe have been landing across Asia for decades. In August, Harvard ranked ...

• The healthcare system in Vietnam
    The healthcare system in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam is going to present you with an abundance of challenges, from the logistical aspect to customs ...

• Visas for Vietnam
    Visas for Vietnam

If you are only planning on having a short stay in Vietnam, you can apply online for a tourist visa, preferably at ...

• Finding a job in Hanoi
    Finding a job in Hanoi

With Vietnam's new visa regulations, you will need to secure a job before entering the country. Opportunities to ...

• Accommodation in Vietnam
    Accommodation in Vietnam

If you're jetting off to Asia's beloved S-shaped nation, take care of booking the best accommodation ...

All of Saigon's guide articles