Menu
Expat.com

Looking for advices on Costa Rica

Last activity 04 March 2019 by samramon

johnm2019

Hello. My name is John Martin.  I am a university professor and education consultant.  I am an American citizen but am thinking about moving to Costa Rica permanently.  I want to continue working, not retire!  I am in San Jose now for 11 days to get an idea about the country and the job possibilities and living arrangements. I am staying in an apartment.  I plan to go to the University of Costa Ria next Monday to see what I an find out about working there.  Any advice expats can give me about living here would be welcome, such as how to find an apartment. I would want a one bedroom place for about $800USD, convenient to local transportation, shopping, etc.  Also is there an expat group that meets in San Jose?

Regards,

John

Priscilla

Hi John,

Welcome to Expat.com smile.png

I have created a new thread with your post on the Costa Rica forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

For more information about Costa Rica, please feel free to check the available threads on the forum, you might find some interesting information.

You may also want to check the housing in Costa Rica section, there are some offers listed. Otherwise you can also post a free ad in the same section, you simply need to choose the category that suits you the best.
If you want to get in touch with a professional, i invite you to check the list of real estate agencies here : https://www.expat.com/en/business/centr … al-estate/

I also advise you to check out the Living in Costa Rica guide for more complete information.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

pebs

I also help newcomers with no charge...i moved here to what i feel is the nicest area and perfect Spring like climate in the hulls of Heredia  a 10 min drive from towns and villages..email me cos i rarely come to the site as i am losing messages pity.. maul me at
Cheers
DebbieK

Moderated by Diksha 5 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
samramon

As we always say, try to live here for as long as you can before making a commitment to move here or buy here.

I doubt you would be able to work here unless they need professors in your area of expertise, as the idea is to give Ticos all the jobs. I am no expert but I think you could work here after getting permanent residency after 3 years of temporary residency.

Ask the people at Universities what are your REAL chances of getting a job. My intuition tells me your chances are not that good, but check it out for sure.
Good luck!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Costa Rica

All of Costa Rica's guide articles