Children integration in a new school in Austria

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad can be particularly hard on children. For any parent planning a move to Austria, it is of utmost importance to make sure they do everything in their power to make sure their children's transition is as smooth as possible. Would you be able to give a few tips to parents planning to move to Austria by answering the following questions on children integration?

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Austria?

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Austria?

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?

Tell us how it went for your child in Austria.

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

I have no children so really can't comment much. But I do know that children adapt quicker than adults when learning a new language. So don't worry too much with them starting a new school with a basic knowledge of German. There are independent schools that teach in English, but they are very expensive €10,000 a year.

Just to add, all state schools are Free and are very good. English is taught as a second language with other options of learning others, French, Spanish but these are in high school.

Hello Bhavna

It all depends on what is the age of kids!! Younger once going in Kindergarten can get easily integrated from my experience.  There is no major problem.

Schools in Austria follow general pattern around world just they choose to call it differently. they have Kindergarten..Primary....Higher Secondary....Now from here the Austrian education system becomes complex and can be branched out in various streams. You will find more on internet.

I see  problem to kids if they are not willing to learn new language....
hope this helps

I was quite concerned about the transition from school and country to my children. In Austria they went to school that has many foreigners. My kids are adapting well, better than I imagined.

@Simone Schwacha

what school? Was it a private school ?

@ansiahbaker hello and welcome !

Please note that this member's last visit was 4 years ago. I am not sure you will receive a response from her. Try sending her a private message by clicking on her photo > send a message. She might be notified.

Let us know how we can help you ?

Regards

Bhavna