Health and shots coming from US

My wife, me and two young teens are coming to the lower Central Valley for two weeks in June. The CDC says we should get Typhoid, Hep A and B shots. I have friends that say no need they have been to CR and never got them. I would like to know for those of you that liver there, what is you opinion.

One has to ask the harm in having the shots.
Given the risk is zero but the potential gain is massive, it would be daft not to have them.

Not  required.

Do you live in CR? If so, you live there and don't get the shots, I come for two weeks and get them makes no sense to me.

You don't need them. BUT I believe anyone who travels to developing countries - or about anywhere really - should have the 3 you mentioned.

They never ask for proof of vaccinations to come in although right now there is a measles problem  so maybe they might ask for proof of being immune?

2019 Measles problem in Costa Rica
and
Proof of measles immunity

Plus rabies and tetanus are always good to have here.

"The CDC recommends “all children get two doses of MMR (measles-mumps-rubella) vaccine, starting with the first dose at 12 through 15 months of age, and the second dose at 4 through 6 years of age.”

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinatio … costa-rica

Perhaps you should rephrase your comment SamRamon 'Plus rabies and tetanus are always good to have here....'  :joking:

I could not edit my original post. But yes,  I should rephrase that. I mean rabies and tetanus shots are always good to have when traveling in places like Costa Rica or anywhere you will be out in the countryside. 😏

Tetanus is a 100% must every 5 years regardless of where you are, including the US.
As for the others. They cause no harm but can save you from a whole grim world of expensive messing around.
I'm trying, but failing, to think of a valid reason not to have them.

Human rabies in CR, so I'm assured, is rare, but not unknown.
Cows get it quite a lot from vampire bats, but there have been a few cases of humans being infected by these hungry little flying rodents.

As I have no idea of the cost or possible problems involved with rabies shots, I can't make an educated guess as to the need, but I suspect it's minimal.

Fred wrote:

Human rabies in CR, so I'm assured, is rare, but not unknown.
Cows get it quite a lot from vampire bats, but there have been a few cases of humans being infected by these hungry little flying rodents.

As I have no idea of the cost or possible problems involved with rabies shots, I can't make an educated guess as to the need, but I suspect it's minimal.

I would agree that rabies is not at the top of the list. You can always get a shot once infected.
In general, no shots are NECESSARY to come to Costa Rica, although I would not doubt if they make measles vaccination or proof of immunity required at some point.

The others mentioned are prudent in my opinion, but not necessary. I'd go with the CDC recommendations.

I'm shocked anyone fails to protect themselves and their families from measles.
It's absolutely essential.

That coming from me, a chap who lost his cousin to the disease because his uncle and aunt were anti vax idiots.

We've been here now for four years.  CDC did not request we get those shots.  I'm not going to go looking for them. :)

To the contrary, Fred is the uninformed, and rather naive "Idiot" (quoting Fred).   Do you take drugs and visit prostitutes?  OK, then maybe you should get some shots.  Otherwise, the risk of contracting these diseases is very small, and the risk of irreparable serious harm to your health from the shots (due to mercury, aluminum, and squalene poisoning), is very significant.   The doctors & drug companies are lying to everyone, to try to make us sicker, and themselves richer.  Ask yourself 'Why do the drug companies need a statutory legal exemption from the law of negligence, to protect themselves from lawsuits, for all the injuries they have caused? If vaccines are as safe as they say they are, why do they need that legal protection ??'  Hmm. 
     See NVIC.org for some true legitimate and independent scientific research from the major universities (and NOT from the drug companies).  Thank goodness CR is still free enough to allow people to travel, without compelling us to get shots.  Go to CR and get some SUNSHINE (& VIT. D), which WILL improve your health, immune system, and protect you from disease.

rabies shots are VERYexpensive
require two rounds, give indefinite protection,  the treatment after the fact is difficult expensive and horrific..
hep A nB an typoid are all ttoo easy to acquire (and increasing worldwide) most anywhere ..ice cubes...same for yellow fever..document good for life , required for reentry from some countries
worth the peace of mind
tetanus...dirty puncture wound ANYWHERE..

personal choice
IMHO

This article appeared today regarding the new requirements of vaccinations when applying for Residency.

In part it reads:

"Starting in July, foreigners who apply for temporary or permanent residence in Costa Rica in will have to comply with the national vaccination program.

The ‘esquema nacional de vacunas' (national vaccination program) is composed of 17 vaccines, including the most recent against rotavirus and human papillomavirus.

It includes, in addition, the vaccine against measles, rubella, and mumps, BCG, Hepatitis B, pneumococcus, influenza, tetanus and diphtheria, among others.

The provision has been in the works since March, following the entry in mid-February of a family of three French tourists with the measles virus. The parents and a six-year-old boy were hospitalized for a week at the Monseñor Sanabria Hospital in Puntarenas."

kohlerias wrote:

This article appeared today regarding the new requirements of vaccinations when applying for Residency.

In part it reads:

"Starting in July, foreigners who apply for temporary or permanent residence in Costa Rica in will have to comply with the national vaccination program.

The ‘esquema nacional de vacunas' (national vaccination program) is composed of 17 vaccines, including the most recent against rotavirus and human papillomavirus.

It includes, in addition, the vaccine against measles, rubella, and mumps, BCG, Hepatitis B, pneumococcus, influenza, tetanus and diphtheria, among others.

The provision has been in the works since March, following the entry in mid-February of a family of three French tourists with the measles virus. The parents and a six-year-old boy were hospitalized for a week at the Monseñor Sanabria Hospital in Puntarenas."

samramon wrote:
kohlerias wrote:

In part it reads:

Note my post above: " I would not doubt if they make measles vaccination or proof of immunity required at some point."

So this would not surprise me.
However I have not been able to find ANY confirmation of this, and QCostaRica is known - to me at least - for having had wrong information in the past.
So I'm guessing that this is not true. If it were true why is it nowhere to be found on google?

Another 'newspaper' has posted a similar article on the subject today which has received a few responses

Thanks kohlerias for finding confirmation.
They say this will begin in July of this year. If it does it will be the fastest a government body in Costa Rica has ever done anything. Certainly they can't fix roads this fast ...

They can't handle the bureaucratic b.s. they already have in place, how are they going to handle this big problem. it will be a despiche like many other things here, like picking up mail or renewing residency or  CAJA..

I read the comments on that article and they bring up some good points:

What about tourists? Aren't they actually MORE likely to bring in measles etc?
So will they force tourists to get the 17 shots too or just those of us who chose to LIVE here? Makes no sense.

And as someone said, what about the Nicaraguan farm workers? Will they have to get the 17 shots too? Who will pay for that and certify it? Certainly Nicaragua is not going to provide the 17 shots to their poor farm workers so they can come work in Costa Rica...

What about Ticos? Do they even have all these? I will ask some local Ticos and find out.

This is just reactionary b.s. because some people spread measles. I get it, people shouldn't spread measles. But why should all us legal residents suffer with 17 shots when tourists and farm workers most likely will not? 

Sounds like the new government wants to get rid of us Legal Residents. So be it. I'll take my money elsewhere then.