Dengue Fever

I'm sure this may be a concern for some...  and there are precautions that you can or 'should' take if you are concerned... but it's not just a tropical thing anymore... compliments of climate change...  see this article:   

https://newsblog.drexel.edu/2024/05/06/ … -outbreak/

I had it last year.  You do not want Dengue.  I actually thought they called it 'Breakbone fever' because I passed out/fainted so much that I broke my nose, teeth, and collar bone.   But ...  regardless of what I think... you should be aware if living here or thinking about it.

I have, since, planted Citronella plants around the perimeter of my house; added 'OFF' to my daily routine... usually around the ankles/shins/neck areas; being careful to eliminate any/all 'standing' water from my property... especially in fallen coconuts that are 'open' from the squirrels; and heightening my awareness as to where and when I walk... evenings are tricky... mosquitos hate light; and of course, after it rains; and I leave my exterior lights ALL on, all night long.  I use LED bulbs... so it costs pennies.  Again... mosquitos hate bright light.  I steer clear of anywhere that rain causes anything resembling a swamp to materialize.  It's just a part of life.  Long sleeves and pants are just not going to work here due to the temps; so the 'risk' will always be there.  They say it happens more in urban areas because a mosquito can only carry it if it has bitten another human with dengue... but i live rural.  ???

Silver lining... ???   maybe if it gets bad in the US... as it is now in Brazil; a vaccine will happen faster; or eradication. 

Just an FYI...  something the dreamy tourist brochures and videos won't tell you.

Pura Vida

@rainagain.....Our neighbor her child died from dengue,a 5 year old boy....He was misdiagnosed more than twice.This wealthy lady could of used private care and it would have saved her child....To save money she used the Caja and the child languished in one of the worst hospitals in Costa Rica,then died....

That is terrible.  I hope you didn't tell her that... she obviously learned the hard way. 

Misdiagnoses are common here.  When I first had Shingles... the fat ugly doctor guy who never got out of his chair from behind his desk (really!!  he didn't 'do' examinations... the nurse did) told me it was a bug bite.... not sure how he could tell... so I walked around to his side of the desk and dropped my pants just enough for him to see for himself the ugly rash that was half above and half below my waist.  Obviously, a bug bite is the go-to excuse for everything here... and I believed him because I had 2 years earlier, been bitten and infected, by an insect, with Papalomoyo... known locally as Mountain Leprosy.  Of course... it isn't really leprosy because it isn't contagious; but ugly and painful.

But the antibiotics and topical lotion he gave me for the bug bite that was actually Shingles... did nothing.  I just happened to hear that 'shingles' vaccine commercial; then googled shingles and saw 1000's of photos that looked like what was 'growing' on me.  I returned and told him the Spanish name for Shingles...'Herpes Zostar'... and after some back and forth... he changed my prescription to an anti-viral; and a stronger topical... with lots of zinc in it.  So you have to be on your toes here.   

Sorry about the little boy.  I hope he had the chance to meet you.