Menu
Expat.com

Would mummies like to host playgroups to earn pocket money

Last activity 04 June 2019 by beppi

HarperNg

Hello mummies,

Enrichment classes are expensive in Singapore and I was wondering if any mummies will be interested to host playgroups instead where children can learn different skills - music, sports, arts, drama etc that can contribute to motor skills, physical, cognitive development.

A mummy can be the one conducting the playgroup at her own house, or at any other mummy house where the space is appropriate. Mummy can charge a bit of money to earn pocket money.

Do let me know what you think smile.png

Fred

Would it be legal?
What regulations would have to be considered?
Do you need to have qualified child care staff, or will anyone do?
Does the premises have to be licensed?

beppi

According to Wikipedia, a mummy is an unusually well preserved corpse.

I am a father, but still organised play groups with a group of other parents after my daughter was born in 2009. We took turns with our home locations, or met at indoor playgrounds (expensive!).
Since kids learn best from free play, nobody ever needed to arrange activities like music, sports, arts, drama etc. (In my opinion, it is an Asian misconception or pure marketing claim that these are beneficial.) Also, nobody ever thought of charging fees. Whoever had time for it, brought cake, and the host provided coffee - that's it!
Meetup, Facebook or expat forums are good places to find like-minded people for something like this!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

• Expat deaths in Singapore
    Expat deaths in Singapore

It's hard to face, but there comes a time when we must end our time on Earth. While we can't predict when ...

• Banking in Singapore
    Banking in Singapore

Singapore offers a wide range of personal banking services and has a complete offering of international banking ...

All of Singapore's guide articles