Menu
Expat.com

must haves!

Last activity 28 August 2019 by sadezz

OceanBeach92107
MarkinNam wrote:

When in Saigon, I live in district 7, the Lotte mart there carries most of the stuff your talking about above. Tea towels are hard to find but check out the local laundry, they some times have clothe left behind which can be recycled as tea towels, just stitch a hem around the edges. Also Cho lon has a lot of fabric sellers to tryAli foil is an easy 1, just double layer it, skin care_ coconut oil. Only worry about script medication and cold remedies, the stuff here is rubbish

That Lottemart in District 7...

Lotte Mart
469 Đường Nguyễn Hữu Thọ
Tân Hưng, Quận 7, HCMC
028 3775 3232
https://maps.app.goo.gl/5zwxkgmZiBemREh9A

...does seem to have a much better selection of merchandise than other stores I've visited, such as the Danang Lottemart.

Also a nice selection of restaurants under one roof there.

Perhaps you can give some specific warnings about "rubbish" script medication and cold remedies?

I'm a Registered Nurse (California) and I've been very satisfied with what I've been able to find for myself and friends in need.

My best advice to those having trouble finding the meds they need is to visit the best local hospital and get a Vietnamese doctor to write you a prescription for whatever you need.

If the medication is legal and otherwise available in Vietnam, the hospital pharmacy will fill the prescription, and the total price will still be quite affordable compared to high prices in The States.

Alternatively, there should be many pharmacies in the neighborhood of the hospital.

If you know what you need, ask a few locals which is the best shop.

In Saigon and elsewhere, the "Pharmacity" chain of stores has both quality generic meds and a pretty good system for locating what you need from another store in their network.

I went looking for more Alieve/Naproxen (local brand Propain 500mg scored tablets) at the Pharmacity Opera House location the other day.

Within 24 hours they had 3 boxes for me, calling me to notify me in English that my order was ready for pickup.

OceanBeach92107
WillyBaldy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I was happy to find apparently genuine Gillette Fusion 5+1 blades last week from a seller at Bến Thành Market

Where do you live now? You move so much it's hard to follow!  lol.png

It's been a fun year of exploration.

Today I'm in HCMC headed to Quy Nhơn to finish up a root canal and take care of personal stuff.

Then I will be in Hanoi for a few days on both ends of my annual border run.

My new apartment is in Vũng Tàu.

Maybe I'll stop in Danang and visit friends on the way back.

I was most impressed by the Central Highlands.

The road trip from Quy Nhơn to Buôn Ma Thuột was very impressive, even though QL 29 was nearly impassable for small cars as it passes through the Ea So Nature Reserve.

However, there's no ocean beach there, so...

WillyBaldy
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Wow I'm surprised you "left" Da Nang to go live in Vung Tau. If I can manage to make it there for quick visit at the end of September I'll come say hello as there's a few people there I'd like to have a chat with, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it that early. I'll have an apartment in Rach Gia and might have to go there quickly for some urgent stuff at work, will be working from home for my Canadian job.

PS: Hmmmm something's telling me there's a woman involved in your move, there always is with us tender hearts  cool.png

RCrash

If you like texmex / mex or any corn flour foods at all, bring a few kilos of masa and a little tortilla press.  some green salsa, etc.  If you freeze a few kilos of freshly made "finished" tortillas, they will be fine for quite a while once here but eventually you will run out.  I find some imported tortilla in HCMC, but not great quality and very high price.  In the north, nothing yet.  Thats my 2c.

OceanBeach92107
WillyBaldy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

PS: Hmmmm something's telling me there's a woman involved in your move, there always is with us tender hearts  cool.png

The lady's name is "Saigon", so easy to get to from Vũng Tàu.

Not because I'm especially enamored with the city.

It's the great shopping opportunities for Western products, healthcare and medications plus an airport from which I can fly directly to myriad destinations.

The only ladies who played a part in my decision are my wonderful new friends there in Vũng Tàu, most of them married.

I've been made to feel very welcome and at home with them.

WillyBaldy
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

The lady's name is "Saigon", so easy to get to from Vũng Tàu.

Not because I'm especially enamored with the city.

It's the great shopping opportunities for Western products, healthcare and medications plus an airport from which I can fly directly to myriad destinations.

It's a darn good reason, from Rạch Giá I can fly to Saigon it's a 40 minutes flight, for about USD$50 each way which is not so bad.

gobot

Razor blades, so brutal, all that dermal scraping and bleeding. Just say no.
Even my father was wrong.
I became an Independent Young Man when I discovered Braun all by myself.

OceanBeach92107
gobot wrote:

Razor blades, so brutal, all that dermal scraping and bleeding. Just say no.
Even my father was wrong.
I became an Independent Young Man when I discovered Braun all by myself.

🤣🤣🤣

I hear you.

I have a waterproof electric razor to use for my head in the shower.

However, I have some sort of old-age dermatitis of my face and scalp that responds better to regular scraping...I mean, shaving...with a blade.

I respond even better when a beautiful lady barber is doing the scraping.

So my Gillette blades last a long, long time... 😎

GuestPoster26
THIGV wrote:
sadezz wrote:

I have family in Turkey and Tampax isn't available.

Is it possible that in Turkey there is a religious aspect to the lack of availability?

It's not about religion. Tampax is not very well known in Turkey and women prefer other brands like Kotex. That's why you can't find it in common stores. But there are some stores that also sell that particular brand, especially ones that substantially sell products to embassy employees.

OceanBeach92107
Vahap wrote:
THIGV wrote:
sadezz wrote:

I have family in Turkey and Tampax isn't available.

Is it possible that in Turkey there is a religious aspect to the lack of availability?

It's not about religion. Tampax is not very well known in Turkey and women prefer other brands like Kotex. That's why you can't find it in common stores. But there are some stores that also sell that particular brand, especially ones that substantially sell products to embassy employees.

I don't think the question was about brands.

Tampax (for some people) implies a tampon, where as Kotex (also to some) implies a sanitary napkin.

To some people...

GuestPoster26
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Vahap wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Tampax (for some people) implies a tampon, where as Kotex (also to some) implies a sanitary napkin.

To some people...

I know it's about the product itself, not about the brands but I was trying to say that tampon is commonly used in Turkey and there is no religious understanding that prohibits or alienates using that product. I might have chosen wrong brand name or product to compare but in the end, I am as close to those products as what my previous girl friends told me. I haven't used any so, some confusion might be tolerated I suppose smile.png
And I checked online, the brand that dominates the Turkish market seems to be OB.

OceanBeach92107
Vahap wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Vahap wrote:

To some people...

,..the brand that dominates the Turkish market seems to be OB.

Of course it is...

sadezz

Thanks for all the replies. Im now in Saigon and realise yes pretty much everything can be bought here, the pharmacies are not too bad and ive heard good things about the dentists too so im happy. thanks!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles