Where to live in Taiwan as a family for 4 months

Hello, We are coming from Canada to have our kids (7, 10, 14) experience Taiwan and get exposed to Mandarin. We will organize individual mandarin tutors. We would like a smaller/less urban experience than Taipei. I have been to Daan District. Are there suburbs of Taipei which are less urban or do people recommend Taichung? Our idea is we would get around by bike and need some organized activities eg. dance classes. Thanks for any suggestions.

Daan is practically in the centre of Taipei. New Taipei City is the largest suburb of Taipei, but indistinguishable. You can cross the border without knowing you have left the city. Taichung is the third largest city in the nation. Less urban areas would be Chiayi County, Yunlin County, or anything on the east coast.

Living in Taipei, seem the best and easy choice, but, from my point of view, it's the worse one!!
why?? most of TYPHOON hit Taipei as well. 

People are friendly, but not at all like in Taichung or Tainan.
The city is too big and easy lost, and the last, if you wish to visit the south of Taiwan, at last, you need to travel all Taiwan.
So Why not in Taichung? covered by mountains and no so many typhoons,
easy to hit north in 40 min with high speed and south in 1,5 hour Kaohsiung.
and of course, clean and safe as much as you never know!! 

Taipei is the perfect place for wild younger people!!

Taichung, where i live since 2003, its more for the family I'm a father of 8 years old girl and even my wife (she is from Taipei)  agree on the life here it's much better

I think for your purposes then Daan is not suitable as it is the middle of Taipei, although actually quite a nice part of Taipei due to there being shops, restaurants, parks etc. I really like the area.

I agree with Robert that Taichung or Tainan might be a better option, and certainly less hectic than living in Taipei.