Menu
Expat.com

Short Term Stay and Expenses

Last activity 15 December 2019 by GuestPoster171

kramer97

Hi everyone!

I'm on the fence between visit Phuket (dry season), or Bali (wet season) in the coming weeks. I might even try to squeeze both. I have 1-2 mths to play with.

I winged everything the last time I visited Bali back in 2015 with no pre-planning, and I'm looking to change my habits this time around. I would love to live as cost efficient as possible, therefore, I'm looking for some advice. For starters, I'm looking to stay in the Seminyak or Canguu areas.

1. Accommodation. Just like my last visit, I used Airbnb. It looks like I'm heading down there in low season, so I'm seeing a lot available. I found some nice rentals on a couple of popular fb groups, but they may be long term rentals. I'm going to try and talk them down to a month-month deal. Other than airbnb, does anyone have any recommended sites to source fully furnished month to month rentals in Seminyak or Canguu?

2. Food - I tend to cook a lot as opposed to eating out often. Does anyone have any recommendations for grocery stores which are well priced?

3. Gym - Does anyone have any good recommended gyms in the area with a lot of machines and free weight?

4. Internet - The apartment I stayed in the last time was very slow, and spotty. I will be doing a lot of work on my laptop and Internet is very important. I'm wondering, is it normal to experience slow speeds and interruptions often? Any solutions for this issue, like high speed internet cards/usb sticks which can be used in case the rental unit has poor internet?

5. SIM Card - Any suggestions on where is the best place to purchase high speed (4G/LTE) SIMs?

6. Visa - Coming from Canada, I'm good for 30 days. Most likely, I will be down there for more than 30 days. Is it easier to apply for the tourist visa when I arrive at the airport in Bali or locally in Toronto before departing?

7. License to Drive - My last visit, I rented a motorbike without any issues. I've read some mixed stories that you need a local license to operate and the police will give you a hard time if pulled over. Is this true? Is it safer to get an international drivers permit before departing?

8. Insurance - Does anyone recommend any specific Health insurance which can be purchased to cover medical bills? Is something like that purchased locally in Bali? Does anyone have any recommended walk in clinics or doctors in or around Seminyak/Canguu?

I think that's it for now:) Thanks!

Fred

What do you need the internet for?
Reading forums and sending emails is very different to watching or uploading to Youtube, thus might well produce different answers.

SIM card - The best coverage is normally using Telkomsel. Not the cheapest but often the best. Don't buy the card at the airport because they charge silly money.

A shop is the best - You'll need your passport to buy one

Grapari Telkomsel - Mall Bali Galeria
Simpang Dewa Ruci,, Jalan By Pass Ngurah Rai, Kuta, Badung, Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jQUC7JButfJdntyi7

If large file uploading is required, there are plenty of free hotspots around, this example in Kuta being one of many

Telkom Wifi.id Corner Tuban
Jl. Raya Kuta No.104A, Kuta, Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361
https://maps.app.goo.gl/swzNd5AsuVgRgfis9

Fred

Over 30 days.

Ask at the airport about a paid 30 day tourist visa, these being extendable for a further 30 at immigration.  I believe the process takes a few days but I've never done it so that needs checking.

Fred

Lots of people drive without a valid license but this can be a problem, partially because it leaves you open to fines, but a crash can leave you between  major problems, often expensive, and massive trouble. That could include your own medical bills as your insurance company may refuse to pay out if you were engaged in illegal activity that caused injury.
In the event of a crash, you'd probably get stung for repairs to both vehicles and everyone's medical bills. If there was a fatal crash, it's bills and probably prison.

A local SIM C is available for tourists and I understand international permits are accepted with restrictions but I can't give you details as I have no experience as a tourist using either.

ladivo779

1. No idea.

2. I don't know any supermarkets in Canggu. There are a couple in Seminyak, I usually go to Bintang Supermarket.

3. No idea, but easy to find out about them on the internet.

4. Sure, USB sticks are available. Personally I don't use them because so many places offer free WiFi.

5. Nope.

6. Either apply for a 60 day tourist visa back in Toronto, or pay IDR500k for the VOA once you arrived and then pay a second IDR500k at immigration a couple of weeks later. Doing it in Toronto should be better so no time wasting at immigration in Indonesia.

7. IDP will always be accepted even though the official rules on this are a little complicated.

8. Get travel insurance either in your own country. Indonesian medical insurance is expensive.

ladivo779

All above answers I can’t argue with, and very similar to Phuket answers accept WiFi is free every place you go and tends to be super fast as the norm most homes in Thailand run on 50+mbps absolute minimum for about us$ 12 per month SIM card package even for international calls are Cheap
Thai baht is on a high at the moment can’t say how this is compared to Canadian $ historically
But IDR is pretty normal ish/ running on an average so to speak so against most currency (I work on sg$, us$, gb£ etc) spending will go further in Bali, I worked for a while in Thailand and hold a local account so my spending that way is considerably cheaper than 90% of other people
You will have similar requirements as Indonesia for your visa and similar ways to extend
But 1 month in the same place would kill me Phuket and Bali have airliners that can take you in country to many places and international but we are all different
Safety, Phuket is like many places Bali is no exception you’ll get many proposals for encounters with same/ opposite sex for a price but more in your face in Thailand
Possibly see a little more trouble in Thailand but again similar
Drug issue similar
Taxi scams in Thailand are world famous
Road safety/ crazy drivers similar but enforced more in Thailand
Driving License I can’t remember as mine has expired and rules have changed in Thailand
Health insurance I would get for Thailand but in my opinion medical care is better in Thailand, that said my experience apart from one has been very good in Indonesia, medical costs are slightly cheaper in Indonesia 
If me I would do both if not a 3rd and 4th country loads of stunning islands in that part of Thailand and good time of year to go and then venture around Indonesia

ladivo779

I agree with the adivice above, just two clarifications:
no more possible to get a tourist driving licence in Indonesia, u must have an international one from the motorization office in ur country, please note that Indonesia adheres both traty, Geneve and Vienna.
U can buy food to the local markets in Canggu, but there are also supermarket with import food like Canggu Deli or Pepito (of course more expensive than local market).

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bali

• Working in Bali
    Working in Bali

The multi-faceted island of Bali offers many opportunities for those who wish to move from tourist to ...

• Accommodation in Bali
    Accommodation in Bali

If you are planning to relocate to Bali, housing is a critical part of your project. So how to find your ...

• Studying in Bali
    Studying in Bali

Even if Bali is renowned as a major tourist destination, the island is by no means limited to its idyllic ...

• Buying property in Bali
    Buying property in Bali

Should your experience as an expatriate in Bali make you want to settle down permanently, you might want ...

• Making friends in Bali
    Making friends in Bali

Being an expat in Indonesia can be a daunting experience. Everything from the language barrier and the culture ...

• Bali's labour market
    Bali's labour market

With its idyllic beaches, lush mountain ranges and charming smiles, it's impossible not to fall ...

• The work culture in Bali
    The work culture in Bali

The work environment in Bali varies from company to company, but in general, it is closely linked to the overall ...

• Adjusting to the culture in Bali
    Adjusting to the culture in Bali

Bali is idyllic, and its people are welcoming and charming. This is what comes out of various reviews and ...

All of Bali's guide articles