Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Mauritius forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Last activity 18 December 2020 by skjoaheer

Julien

Hi all,

Newbie on the Mauritius forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you wink.png

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Mauritius if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Alice2063

Hi Julien and Mauritius expat community!

We are a family of four moving to Mauritius from Canada in August and couldn't be more excited but nervous at the same time. We have two small children and are interested in learning all there is about the country as we've never been!
My husband is a contractor and I work in the IT services and analytics world. We are moving primarily for the climate, slower pace of life, and to spend more time together as a family.

We are looking for any advice you may have on your experiences moving to Mauritius, best places to settle down, best place to buy building materials, food etc.

Looking forward to connecting with all of you!

Magvee

Hi My name is Maggie im already in the country.
Im looking to rent my newly built house
Its in st pierre petit verger.

ado9ja

Hello,  I'm Adam coming to Mauritius next week looking for accommodation

ado9ja

Hello, What is your price? I want a room.

Bhavna

Hello everyone and welcome to Expat.Com  smile.png

Thank you very much for your introduction. Since you are new to the forum, let me just explain briefly how it works.

For those who want to know about formalities and how to move to Mauritius, the Living in Mauritius guide will provide you all the primary information.

Those who have already made up their mind and are looking for more personalised answers, i would suggest you do some research on the forum section (most of your queries have already been discussed).

- Mauritius forum (you may browse through the different categories) or use the search tab next to the magnifying glass.

Also, feel free to create your own thread on the forum so that members can reach out and answer your queries. One question per thread please as it will be more convenient.

On a side note, if you are looking for or offering accommodation, job and so on, please drop an advert in the corresponding section

- Housing in Mauritius

- Jobs in Mauritius

Thank you very much and enjoy the forum,
Bhavna

Sakil Joomratty

Hello, my name is Sakil. I am a Mathematics teacher in a college in Mauritius. I have teaching experience from UK as well. There are English speaking schools as well as French speaking schools in the North of Mauritius.

As you must have learnt that Mauritius is a tropical Island, we have only summer and winter as weather. The lowest temperature in winter is aboit 14 degrees celsius. The weather is really good. [ i had studied for a Masters in Vancouver Canada. i know how the weather is like in Canada]. As far as construction materials are concerned, there are many building shops around in the North as many bungalows, hotels, apartments are often constructed / renovated.

The people of Mauritius are courteous and helpful. its very safe to leave in Mauritius.

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please post an advert in the Housing section.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
obasjay1

I am interested of coming to mauritius, it a place of loving.i  am from Nigerial and i will be glad if u can assist me of getting mauritius working visa ,i like to stay dere, my name isABEH ADEDAYO JAMES.
Thanks for ur concern

Toyotamr2

Good morning, I am currently visiting Mauritius and wil be here permanently from 1 May 2020 working and living in Grand Baie. How and where do I buy wifi and a new Mauritian simcard? Which wifi is the best value for money? Which cellphone network is the best to use? Can we buy airtime and data on a contract in Mauritius? I am absolutely in love with Mauritius! Melanie

Kevin03

Dear Magie

Please contact me on +230 XXX

Regards

Kevin Rawoteea

Moderated by Julien 4 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details
Julien

Kevin, Hi,

the title of the thread is "New members of the Mauritius forum, introduce yourselves here"... Could you please introduce yourself before posting your phone number? thanks !

Toyotamr2

Emtel is the best value for money. I have bought mine yesterday.  Google Emtel.

Scootter

Hello.

My name is Scott and I am in the country for a few months on an integration project.  I work for a global packaging company that has a diverse portfolio of work in many different countries.  As an accountant, I specialize in internal controls and general accounting topics. 

I'm enjoying my time here and am looking for social opportunities to meet new people and experience all this country has to offer.  I welcome any suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

Khanna

Hi Alice,

We are almost in the same boat as you and I have shifted to Mauritius just a few months back.

On the reasons you have given you are spot on. Life is slow but beautiful here. Food is not a problem you have most of the things available and we have chains of supermarket which are well stocked and caters to all our needs.

A Canadian couple has just moved to our neghibourhood from Middle East where they were working.

The place is nice, good roads, availibility of all essential services, good schools, good medical and the costal beauty.

As regards where to stay everyone has his own opinion but to me North made sence as we also have children who are now grown up but at the time of finding the place they were keen on North as it is comparitively more happening.

Hope the above information gives you a basic idea of someone who has also just moved in.

Regards,

Rajiv Khanna

MadamMarcel

Hello everybody ,

My name is Madara , I am Latvian , Married with French. We have 2 lovely kids 3 and 1 year old and we will be moving to Mauritius in July . I am very nervous about all this new experience, as I never lived outside the Europe . I am looking forward to meet some people when I am here and also would like to ask maybe someone can suggest if there is any staying home mom group where I can meet other moms and find some friends for my children ? Thank you and have a lovely day everyone .

Loïc

Hello Madara and welcome to expat.com

If you are looking forward to meet new people, we have events in Mauritius every month !

That will be a great opportunity to meet in a chill and relaxed atmosphere.

See you there smile.png

Loïc

Mauricia80

Hi everyone new here,i am nearly 40 native mauritian,i live my country with it's ups and down, if you need advice how and where to settle down here i'll be glad to help

MadamMarcel

Thank you for your reply . Looking forward 😊 hopefully it will be fun 😊

agalindoh94

Hello everyone smile.png

I'm Andrea, I'm Colombian, and recently I moved with my boyfriend to Mauritius after 3 years in Kuwait!  I'm so excited about this new experience. Hope we get the chance to meet during the events or anytime, just drop a line.

Have a great day

Dompot
Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : off topic - please post in the housing section
External
Hopeodg wrote:

Hello everyone. My name is hope.
I'm a Nigerian. I need a little info about Mauritius country biko.
My friend is a doctor and wants to work there, please how can he get Mauritius license in order to practice? And what should we know please. I'll appreciate any response

First it will be beneficial if you read the guide:
https://www.expat.com/guides/guide-Maur … nglish.pdf

JJeffery

Hi all,

My name is Jared and I moved to Mauritius at the beginning of February from Cape Town (South Africa). I currently teach social sciences at ALU in Pamplemousses and live in Grand Baie. I'm joining the forum in order to find tips on what to do and how to do it. Would also be great to get involved in any activities and meet people.

Things I'm currently looking into: a private French tutor, buying a car or motorbike, finding clients for freelance economic and political research.

Please send me a message if you'd like to connect.

Cheers

bafanaq

Hi

I am Bafana. I have been in Mauritius for a year, I work here.

Nicole Baron

Hello!

I hope you are all keeping healthy during these interesting times.

My name is Nicole and I am a South African currently residing in Cape Town.

I graduated from Stellenbosch University in 2018 with a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.

If anyone has any opportunities in my line of work, please feel free to connect! I am not only interested in employment opportunities in the engineering industry - I am really open to any opportunity.

I look forward to your advice & help in this regard.

Thanks,

Nicole

Giljv2020

Hello;
I appreciate your offer for advice.
I live in California and I am considering moving to Mauritius to work and live there.
I need help learning about the cost of living, safety, education and all is required to know before I accept to move.

Thanks in advance.
Gil

Peacemaker07

Hi dear how are you

mike415

I am Mike from Texas USA

sabanks

Hi Jeff,

I'm moving to Mauritius this summer.  I've been running a  public TV studio and teaching TV broadcasting in the United States.   ALU it seems like a very progressive school.  I applied for a part time position as Communication for Impact faculty.  Dream job for sure.  I'm a kitesurfing instructor as well so the island has a lot to offer.   
One question I had was how did you decide where to live.  Close to ocean, in town, what is your preference. 

Thanks,
Scott Banks

benovermyer

Ben, from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA.

Are pets allowed into Mauritius? My wife and I have two cats.

Helene
sabanks wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I'm moving to Mauritius this summer.  I've been running a  public TV studio and teaching TV broadcasting in the United States.   ALU it seems like a very progressive school.  I applied for a part time position as Communication for Impact faculty.  Dream job for sure.  I'm a kitesurfing instructor as well so the island has a lot to offer.   
One question I had was how did you decide where to live.  Close to ocean, in town, what is your preference. 

Thanks,
Scott Banks

Welcome on the forum and good luck with your project. You sure have a very interesting job!
Personally, I was looking for a place close to the ocean but also close to locals. I chose Albion, in a very quiet Mauritian neighborhood.
It depends on what you're looking for: nature, in town, night life, ocean... If you like kitesurfing, I definitely recommend the area of Tamarin. You'll have a blast!

Cheers,
Helene

Helene
benovermyer wrote:

Ben, from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA.

Are pets allowed into Mauritius? My wife and I have two cats.

Hello Ben,

Welcome on the forum.
Yes pets are allowed into Mauritius but there are rules to follow.
Here are some info about it : https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/m … -pets.html

Take care.

Andy Jarvis

Hi Guys ! My first time posting. Looking to build a property in point aux sables any advice would be appreciated!

Cheryl

Hello Andy Jarvis,

Welcome on Expat.Com.

I would advise you to give us more details about your project so that the other members will be able to help you.

For example, are you looking for information about building permit or even how much it might cost?

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.Com Team

mikegray4655

Hi Julien,

Are you back?

I am stuck in South Africa.

How did the NY experience go ?

TH new website looks awesome?

Love to catch up?
KInd regards
Mike GRay

Andy Jarvis

Thanks for the info, I’m talking to a few people regarding the build and I’m getting a good response. Regards Andy

beniwal

Hi Julien,

Thank for breaking the ice. I am new to forum but have been living in Mauritius for some years now. I am practicing as a cardiologist at various hospitals in Port Louis, Flic n flac and G bay. I live in Ebene with my husband and only son who will be going to university next year. Working in Mauritius has been fun and I have hundreds of friends owing to my job. Really not much in contact with expats in Mauritius. I would look forwards to some activities (if any) by expats....

Maneesha

Diksha

Hello Maneesha,

On behalf of the whole Expat.com team, welcome among us! smile.png

We are happy to hear that your expat experience in Mauritius has been enjoyable.

Expat.com regularly organizes events to allow our members to get together and interact in real life. Hopefully, this will resume post-lockdown and you will get the chance to meet some expats. For more info, please check out from time to time, Events in Mauritius.

Hoping to read more of your posts on the Mauritius forum.

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Mohanish

Hi everybody. I am new to expat.com but i have had my share of experience on forums before. Anyways, my name is Mohan and i am a Mauritian by birth. I work in a  factory that produces furniture which is situated in Valentina Phoenix. Feels nice to be part of this community.

DonDanA

Hi Everyone

My name is Marie and my husband is Donald. My husband is a print finisher and I am partly retired.
Currently living in the UK but we travel quite a bit and go to Mauritius at least once a year.

We have land in Albion and also have a family home there and lots of family who are also expatriates living there or spending at least 6 months there. Which is also our intentions in the near future.

We are searching for a reliable & trustworthy contractors so we can start building our home. We are building a four bedroom house. We are happy for the contractor just to do the grey work,  if necessary. We have all necessities to start our project.

Many thanks

Marie J & Donald

Loïc

Hello Leah and welcome among us  up.png

I'm Loïc, from the expat.com team and it's a pleasure to meet you smile.png

We will be happy to help you, if you have any question for our community, do not hesitate to create a new topic wink.png

Meanwhile, you can also have a look to our Living in Mauritius guide and download our Guide for free !

Wishing you a great day.

Stay safe.

Regards,

Loïc

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles