Menu
Expat.com

Medication in the USA

Last activity 09 March 2020 by sofiaaa123

Loïc

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like the USA with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in the USA?

Would you have said that in the USA drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

mallepally

Medication in USA, it is interesting topic.  Shortage, No I have not experienced it.

Cost of medication, the label cost seems to be unreasonbly different. The same medicine made in US is sold in india for lot cheaper rate.

Dapagliflozin (forxiga) costs for 1 month supply around $550 in US and in india 1 year supply costs around $200 or so(The same medicine made in USA ).

Unless your insurance takes care of it, medication is not affordable in USA, but though on work visa's most of the time do have insurance and that takes care of it.  If your insurance is not good, then you get struck.

sofiaaa123

Fortunately, I did not need a lot of medicine. But the for ones I did, it s been a journey in itself understand the tiers for each drug  and how much a brand influences the price.

Never experienced a shortage, but I agree that if you do not have insurance you get easily stuck and no one will help. There is such a restriction on drugs that are common in other countries but no strict regulations when it comes to others that are actually important.

I would also mention the dosage. In the US I got several times, even at the dentist, this huge amount of anesthesia for example and could barely see and drive. Everything is very standardize and no one adjusts the standard to the patient (I assume from being afraid to get sued). There is so little prevention, most of the times I went to the doctor the main concern is how to get rid of the pain, not the actual cause of the pain. I understand in the US people believe it was not effective the visit unless they get out of there with medicine.

There is a lot of care when you first see a doctor, but way to many people involved in the process, which makes it very inefficient (a common visit would take up to 1.5-2 h) because one person gets your insurance info and then you wait, one person your blood pressure and then you wait, one person will welcome you in the room itself and then you wait, then you see the actual doctor and talk and then you wait again to be discharged.

I personally have started seeing doctors on Amwell -which is similar to facetiming with a doctor. Co pay is way less and it s quick. Now it only works for things where the doctor does not need to actually touch you, but still that cuts half of the visits.

Overall, the experience is that everyone is smiling and welcoming if you go with the system and have no understanding to ask questions. Once you are not in the standard rules, everything becomes complicated and you have to hold your ground so you don t get multiple xrays in the same week for the same issue, for example. The focus is on the business side of the medicine, not on the patient.

I cannot thank enough my mother that was a pharmacist and that helped me understand at a basic level how certain things works when it comes to health.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the USA

• The healthcare system in the USA
    The healthcare system in the USA

Healthcare in the United States can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, the country is known for its ...

• Health insurance in the US
    Health insurance in the US

Whether you are travelling to the United States for a visit, moving there for work, or are already living in the ...

• Having a baby in the USA
    Having a baby in the USA

If you want to have a baby while in the United States, you'll be pleased to know that not being a citizen or a ...

• Accidents and emergencies in the United States
    Accidents and emergencies in the United States

Although the United States is generally a safe destination for both tourism and expat lifestyles, navigating ...

• Dating in the USA
    Dating in the USA

Dating anywhere in the world can be nerve-wracking, but dating in a foreign country can be especially ...

• The American lifestyle
    The American lifestyle

The United States is a vast country that is made up of a diverse group of people. Life, landscape, and culture can ...

• Marriage in the United States
    Marriage in the United States

Marriage is a contract that commits two people emotionally, legally, and materially. In the US, both same-sex and ...

• The work culture in New York
    The work culture in New York

The work culture in New York can significantly vary according to the type of structure, the size of the company, ...

All of the USA's guide articles