Coronavirus in Ecuador

"Ecuador Declares National Health Emergency,
    Private Insurance Does Not Cover Coronavirus..."

So reads a headline dated today -- March 12, 2020 -- on the Cuenca Highlife website.

The article states that 17 cases of Coronavirus have been confirmed in Ecuador.

As these concerns are constantly developing, we commend www.cuencahighlife.com to expat.com readers in order to stay abreast of the Ecuador aspects of the international pandemic.

Note that the Cuenca Highlife site has been following Coronavirus, and so there are many other recent articles, for instance, about Peru's strict measures to contain the virus and how to wash fruits and vegetables to stay safe in South America.

-- cccmedia, expat.com experts team

I was just doing my evening homework on this (probably) weaponized virus when notice of your post arrived. I was reading the article titled: Ohio's Top Health Official Says "We Believe 100,000 People" Already Infected With Covid-19 In State.

Things seem to be ramping up in USA. In Canada, we are still on the flat part of the hockey stick, but likely about to go exponential within a week or two. Soon, we will all be Italians.

What do you mean by weaponized. We will all be like the Italians, when is the question

In some far-fetched conspiracy theory, I'm not quite sure who would have "weaponized" the COVID-19. The Chinese? The U.S.? The Iranians? The Koreans? Geez--they sure shot themselves in the foot with it! You would think that with all that perfection of technique, they would have also come up with a vaccine?

Regarding private insurance's bailing during a time of great need. The insurance industry is a scam. They do not add any value to healthcare--they are only gate keepers and cashiers for a worthless product: you buy it, hope you never need it, and when you do, they declare it null and void. Time to kick insurance to the curb and support socialized medicine = Single payer. Universal coverage.

I am waiting to hear what weaponized means. If it means what you suggest, the commentor needs help.  Any sane person would take as meaning more virulent due to natural causes.

This isn't true. We received an email from Confiamed yesterday stating coverage applies:

"Coronavirus is a public disease, therefore we must abide by the MSP guidelines. Not all hospitals nationwide, whether public or private, are prepared to care for these patients, however it is clarified that epidemics and pandemics are no longer an exclusion from the contract, therefore coverage applies."

Universal coverage is also insurance (and not universal, national would be a better term). The difference is with universal they can kick everyone to the curb and a organization of questionable competence runs it. The only difference between private ins and universal is that with private, you pay for it, in universal, most people are greedy and want others to pay for it.

Emigrayo68 wrote:

In some far-fetched conspiracy theory, I'm not quite sure who would have "weaponized" the COVID-19. The Chinese? The U.S.? The Iranians? The Koreans? Geez--they sure shot themselves in the foot with it! You would think that with all that perfection of technique, they would have also come up with a vaccine?

I'll go for mother nature, weaponised it personally

I had an old friend who said pretty much the same for every epidemic that came down the pike, "Mother Nature shaking off her fleas."

BigBrad2008,

This is funny! "Single Payer. Universal Coverage" is an idea. It doesn't exist in the U.S. Everyone's taxes would pay for it (much less cost than insurance premiums). Everyone who is a citizen would be covered, regardless of exclusions like "preexisting conditions" which is a term used by the gatekeepers/cashiers the insurance companies who say those who need it can't get it. Most other nations have some form of government health service paid for by everyone's taxes and they seem to be healthy and happy with it.

Emigrayo68 (Buster)

So now (Mar 14 2020) the private insurers say they will cover it

https://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/202 … ice=mobile

Emigrayo68 wrote:

...government health service...

In the judgement of many, a government-run health service like other government-run things, would have all the compassion of the IRS, and all the efficiency of the USPS.

We already have a government health service, called the VA.  Based on its (lack of) success, I would not want to force everyone to that low standard...

Amelia and J.P. and other correspondents,

Glad to hear MSP (the gov't) is making the insurance companies cover this pandemic. I'm a little worried about mandatory quarantines of two weeks upon arrival in Ecuador. I have rented a one-bedroom studio w/ kitchenette so I have a place to land for a month and can stay another month if necessary. But I really need to get my temporary visa (Gringo Visas YAAAY!) and the cedula, a bank account, and IESS--and get on with my expat life.

Hope you all stay safe and sane during this plague time. Wash dem paws like a raccoon.

Emigrayo68 (Buster)

Vice President Otto Sonnenholzner announces partial closure of borders and restriction of entry to Ecuador due to the coronavirus

https://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/202 … or-medidas

- Restrict the entry of foreigners on international flights and international land and sea transport from Sunday at 11:59 p.m.

- For Ecuadorians or foreigners residing in the country, the deadline will be Monday, March 16 at 11:59 p.m.

Ecuador just closed its borders. When are you planning to come?

I disagree. Most are happy with it in other countries because many are getting it for free or subsidize while a few successful people pay your premium.  I would like a new car if someone else paid for it too but honest, it is pure greed and stealing.  In regards to the ridiculous argument, other countries have national health care and health costs are 1/2 what ours are DUH, they were 1/2 before they instituted national health care. It is NOT the type of coverage it is the country. ***

Moderated by Loïc 4 years ago
Reason : please, no cursing and defamatory content, thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Amelia and J.P.

Thanks for asking. (I guess you're asking ME?) I'm eight weeks away from my fly date. A lot can happen between now and then. My guess is the pandemic is going to get much worse, based on what happened in China, Korea, Italy, etc. Since the health minister has added U.S. to the list of quarantined air passengers, I think I will spend the first two weeks of my new expat life in quarantine.

Emigrayo68 (Buster)

moreover
https://www.reuters.com/article/health- … SL8N2B70XK

Well, ain't that a fine kettle of fish?  :o

Yep. Nobody will be coming for a while, but they said we're free to leave. However, if the airlines can't bring passengers here, I doubt they will fly empty just to take a few people out.

And many countries will not take folk from Ecuador

So much for my plans to retire to Ecuador :(
Hopefully, things will become normal again by the end of the year.

New restrictions of mobility:
https://www.eluniverso.com/noticias/202 … ais-partir

...by the way, Ecuador isn't alone in these measures. It has happened elsewhere.

Ohio just shuttered all bars and restaurants today, for example

I was reading in Al Jazeera this morning that Britian is cutting peeps some slack, they believe that 70% of all people will get it and they've developed a "herd mentality" to isolation and vaccination.

The restrictions  in Ecuador will probably last at least until May 3. Has anyone heard anything different? I'm supposed to fly May 6-7 into Quito and down to Cuenca. I have rented an apartment in Cuenca for a month. I have a sinking feeling that this may all fall apart.

Whatever, I will still get my visa with Gringo Visas (they have a U.S. office in Connecticut). If the virus doesn't kill me in the meantime, I'll see some of you in maybe September.

Bueno suerte, y felicidades!
Emigrayo68 (Buster)

My guess is the restrictions will last at least until 21 days after the last documented case here. And maybe longer if other countries are still seeing increases.

I hope you are wrong as I expect new cases for a long time.

I'm gonna see if I can get some money refunded, and just look to traveling later in the year. This is like a science fiction movie.

Emigrayo68 (Buster)

Emigrayo68 wrote:

I'm gonna see if I can get some money refunded, and just look to traveling later in the year. This is like a science fiction movie.

Emigrayo68 (Buster)

In guayaquil it is like MadMax.

80% of the people in my neighborhood are wearing masks, most homemade.

Streets are very vacant.

most of the stores were well stocked on Monday. Except hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol.

About 10% of the tienditas (micromarkets) are operating in my neighborhood.
Long lines to get into the supermarkets to buy food. The stores are only letting about 10 people in at a time.

Mayor of Guayaquil reported yesterday she tested positive for the virus.

9 pm curfew and the police seem serious about busting those who break it.

The supermarket where I shop had security herding peeps to the toilet paper aisle. They were letting them in in groups of about 40. All of my usual brands (generic) were gone. My grocery bill was double. ***. I think #45s supporters are happy that their revolution is complete. ***

Moderated by Loïc 4 years ago
Reason : false information
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Updating what I said a few days ago about emigrating. My documents finally came back apostilled from the Secy of State. Background check, all of that good. I bought new suitcases online. They were delivered before Amazon began to curtail stuff. So my getaway is in place, just in the wrong time. American Airlines and Latam are flexible about date changes, but they won't refund. Also my apartment that I rented in Cuenca is flexible about which month I (can finally travel). Looks more like September (?) than May. Or maybe next spring if such previous pandemics are any indicator. Gringo Visas is working with me on this. Good news is the bus to the grocery store has waived the $2.50 all day fare. Stay cool, and peacefully be.

Emigrayo68 (Buster)

An article from Reuters from yesterday, just FYI about coronavirus in Ecuador:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal … SKBN21904T

Just read in the NY Times from 3/27/20 that removing dead bodies in Guayaquil has become a problem with all the restrictions.  100 bodies were removed in 3 days, many suspected of covid-19 but no tests were made.  One woman said it took more than 24 hours to have her husband's dead body removed from their home, the neighbors were threatening to burn down her house if the corpse was not removed soon.

According to patriarchal legend all evil came into the world through Pandora's Box. Inevitably the vile thing was opened and in the investigation that followed at the scene of the crime only one thing remained--hope. They did not consider this a blessing.

Emigrayo68 wrote:

According to patriarchal legend all evil came into the world through Pandora's Box. Inevitably the vile thing was opened and in the investigation that followed at the scene of the crime only one thing remained--hope. They did not consider this a blessing.

Thanks for the short story.

mugtech wrote:

Just read in the NY Times from 3/27/20 that removing dead bodies in Guayaquil has become a problem with all the restrictions.  100 bodies were removed in 3 days, many suspected of covid-19 but no tests were made.  One woman said it took more than 24 hours to have her husband's dead body removed from their home, the neighbors were threatening to burn down her house if the corpse was not removed soon.

Just to clarify for those that don't know: Approximately 250 people die each week in Guayaquil.  The "piling up bodies" weren't from the virus, but from the government response (if the hearse can only pick up bodies one day a week until 2pm, there'll be a lot of bodies stinking up the place).  Unfortunately, from what I've heard on the news, the local government in Guayaquil seems like it's dealing with the situation rather poorly.

If you an American, that time is now. Now you are Italy for a moment, only far worse. Its estimated (source CNN) that there are likely somewhere between one million and two million people infected just in NYC on today's date. Watch the Dr on Don Lemon's hour Apr 6th for that quote. The Dr's forecast on the next 2 years, and how its likely to play out for USA is worth listening to. I think he nailed it. This is going to rage on for another two years, coming and going, hot spots here and there. Eventually there will be a vaccine.

Now in Canada, its interesting that on this date in Toronto, there are only 1% of the deaths that NYC has experienced so far. The GTA population is about 6 million. We shall see how that unfolds, for better or worse. This is just getting started.

Well the street dogs are happy and sasiated.

Emigray, May I quote you on this legend elsewhere?   Are these your words, or is there a source?  Thanks!

susanilla wrote:

Emigray, May I quote you on this legend elsewhere?   Are these your words, or is there a source?  Thanks!

The legend of Pandora's Box predates all of us by at least several thousand years, it came from Greek mythology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27s_box