Coronavirus in Ecuador

Ecuador, Brazil and other South American countries had their covid responses sabotaged by Donald Trump and Jair Bolsonaro, according to a blockbuster exposé just published in the New York Times.

The exposé is titled How Trump and Bolsonaro Broke Latin America's Covid-19 Defenses.

www.nytimes.com:

The presidents of the USA and Brazil forced out 10,000 Cuban doctors from Ecuador, Brazil and other South American countries.  This undermined South America's ability to confront the pandemic.

Trump and Bolsonaro supported enormous spending cuts that defunded the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), which had been uniquely positioned to deal with a pandemic in South America.  The defunding almost bankrupted PAHO to an extent not reported before the Times investigation.

Trump and Bolsonaro met at Mar-a-Lago in March 2020 where Bolsonaro sought to burnish his reputation as the Trump of the Tropics.  Even before the pandemic, Trump and Bolsonaro had cemented an ideology-based partnership that would undermine South America's response to a pandemic.

Upon their return to Brazil, 22 in the Bolsonaro party tested positive with covid.  Trump later tested positive.  Both presidents have apparently recovered from covid.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Personal attack
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Don't like the message, kill the messenger

I just had a message from my wife in Ecuador. She says they are reinstituting the mandatory quarantine for all travelers, regardless of the PCR test. Right now it is a mandatory quarantine for 5 days. Does anyone have official information about this? THanks!

Damon.

That is correct. Here's a source with more details: https://www.primicias.ec/noticias/socie … e-navidad/

Thanks. That is a very disappointing turn of events. I was planning on spending time with my wife for a week over the new year. It's not very practical now. Her birthday is after the quarantine period, so hopefully I can switch to then.

Damon.

Ecuador's vaccination rollout is slow going.  Hopes are fading that the population will get mass-vaccinated before the second half of 2021 at the earliest.

Ecuador's health ministry says the country is working with Moderna, Pfizer, and other companies to fulfill a vaccine shortfall.  Ecuador has purchased enough vaccine to inoculate two million people.  The government may rely on Chinese vaccines that are in development by two companies.

Ecuadorian officials explain that Ecuador does not have the vaccine buying power of wealthier nations in Europe and North America.

An epidemiologist at Universidad de las Américas in Quito says Ecuador lacks an adequate plan to vaccinate the populace.

Source... www.cuencahighlife.com

I hope I'm not asking a question that's already answered but I'm curious about the '5 day upon arrival' quarantine policy.  Where does one quarantine if they are coming for purposes of tourism?  Are hotels set up or cooperating with this policy to enable arriving visitors (presumably with proof of vaccination or negative tests) to quarantine with them for this period prior to traveling within Ecuador?

The last time I travelled to Ecuador was on 26 December 2020. At that time all that was required was a negative COVID test & no requirement to quarantine. If you do not have a negative test, you would be required to quarantine until either the test came back as negative, or if it was positive until you sought medical treatment & you recovered. This was for people traveling from the US. I have not heard if things have changed. Requirements from Europe may be different.

I have no idea about what hotels you need to use to quarantine. But if you have a negative test AFAIK it is not required.

Here is the homepage for the airport in Guayaquil: http://www.tagsa.aero/en_aeropuertojjo.html

edit: also be sure to bring a pen (or pens) as you have to fill out some health paperwork in the plane when you are coming into the country. They get annoyed if you show up at the airport with the paperwork not filled out due to a lack of a pen (ask me how I know...)

Damon.

Does anybody out there have any information as to the status of the land border in Rumichaca right now? Is it open yet or due to open very soon?

In response to CCmedias post about Ecuadors finances not permitting huge vaccine rollout: I would suggest that in the long run that will turn out well for Ecuador.......and its 15 million plus citizens........

Due to the revolving door of Ecuadorian health ministers and the fact that the rules are subject to change at any time, I would not rely on any Ecuador covid-related requirements, or lack thereof, as posted on this site or the Web.

If traveling, I advocate staying in touch with your carrier as to the latest requirements for entry or exit from La República.  Or contact the relevant embassy/consulate.

cccmedia

In the latest rules change, Ecuador will now admit arriving travelers who have been vaccinated against covid .. instead of requiring a PCR test.

The change reflects the new reality that many travelers have been vaccinated in recent weeks.

For more information, visit the source of this news ...
www.cuencahighlife.com

As Ecuador stumbles forward into the vaccination phase of the covid era, the country is now on its third health minister in a month.

One health minister, Rodolfo Farfán, quit after just 19 days, with a doctor-source stating that Farfán was a health professional and not a politician.  Apparently, he did not have the resources necessary to sort out the vaccination situation.   Sources told a major newspaper that Farfán couldn't handle the political pressures to obtain more vaccines .. nor a scandal in which Ecuadorians with juice cut ahead in the vaxxing process .. nor the collapse of a website that was supposed to assist seniors seeking covid vaccinations.

El presidente replaced Farfán with a new man who has pledged to provide covid vaccinations in a more equitable way to at-risk populations.

Source.... El Comercio, as posted in English at www.cuencahighlife.com

I have a question for the forum...

If a traveler has a certificate showing s/he received the first shot of a two-shot covid vaccine, is that sufficient to be allowed travel and entry into Ecuador?

cccmedia

I hope not!  One of the required two shots is not sufficient.  Plus then you need to wait two weeks after the last shot.  Anyone trying to get away with not complying obviously does not care about protecting other people (much less themselves).

susanilla wrote:

One of the required two shots is not sufficient.  Plus then you need to wait two weeks after the last shot.  Anyone trying to get away with not complying obviously does not care about protecting other people...

Someone with an urgent need to get to Ecuador may not have several weeks to wait for a second shot plus additional weeks to wait before travel.  Naturally, the ideal scenario for such a traveler is the one-shot J&J or Janssen vaccine.

The citation above presumes others' motivations .. and posits a pejorative interpretation of such.

Every member of the forum gets to ask questions without their motives ("get away" with it) being impugned by someone out of the loop.  The post above chills free speech.

cccmedia
member, expat.com experts team

Because this thread was temporarily derailed, I repost the question...

If a traveler has a certificate showing s/he received the first shot of a two-shot covid vaccine, is that sufficient to be allowed travel and entry into Ecuador?

OMG.  Ecuador's health minister, Mauro Falconí, has contracted coronavirus.  As reported above, he became the country's third health minister in less than a month.

Falconí had not been vaccinated against covid.  He was diagnosed with the virus last Friday.

One of the previous health ministers, who tested negative for covid this month, was criticized for skipping the line to get an early covid vaccination.

Apparently, Falconí will have to quarantine for two weeks before returning to the health ministry.

Source... www.cuencahighlife.com

I just spoke to a consular spokesman for Ecuador about the covid travel requirements.

He said a negative covid-test result (which needs to be uploaded online*) is still required within three days or 72 hours before travel to Ecuador, in addition to the new covid vaccination requirement.

There apparently was inaccurate information posted in some places saying that proof of vaccination was a replacement for covid testing.  Both the test requirement and the vaccination requirement are currently in place for travelers to Ecuador, according to the consulate.

The consular rep reviewed the latest information he had while we were on the phone. He said he has no information as to whether the second shot in a two-shot covid vaccination scenario is required.

Source... Ecuadorian consulate in Las Vegas, Nevada

-- cccmedia

*FYI, I do not know the site to which the covid test result needs to be uploaded.

Do you know when the test requirements changed? I am traveling to Ecuador on Wednesday, got my test done, but it is outside the 3 day window. This is very, very frustrating!

Damon.

Dear Damon,

Ouch!

At this point, it may not matter when the requirement changed.

What matters is getting you on a plane.

Call your airline and see if you can get an exception .. or a flight change at no extra charge if you were not advised of the change.  Clarify the vaccination issue -- you didn't say you were fully vaccinated.  Make sure you understand about the three-day window and comply with the current rules.

Make sure they get you the rules in writing (via email, say) if possible.

Let us know how it turns out.  Good luck.

cccmedia

Thanks for the advice.

I did the smart thing & emailed the airport in Guayaquil. You can enter the country EITHER with a PCR test, or a rapid antigen test. I have that documented in my email. I am going to take my original PCR test results too, just in case. As luck would have it, the airport in Ft Lauderdale has a center to do rapid antigen tests, &  I have a 6 hour layover. It's going to cost money (in my state of PA PCR tests are free to the point of access), but at least I don't have to cancel anything or delay my flight. It's important that I get down there, because back in October we did the civil marriage, but now we are doing the church wedding, & we have marriage classes we must attend this weekend.

Edit: if you are fully vaccinated, they are currently waiving the requirement for a test. Unfortunately I just took dose 1 of the Pfizer vaccine, & have dose 2 scheduled AFTER my return. But the next time I go down I shouldn't have all these issues.

Damon.

Dagretto wrote:

Edit: if you  fully vaccinated, they are currently waiving the requirement for a test. Unfortunately I just took dose 1 of the Pfizer vaccine, & have dose 2 scheduled AFTER my return.

Damon, did you confirm that one dose of Pfizer vaccine is sufficient?  The consulate I spoke with didn't have that information .. and it is important in your case and perhaps for many others.

Seems like you are the right track, although maybe not every single issue is settled.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

cccmedia

Dagretto wrote:

I just took dose 1 of the Pfizer vaccine, & have dose 2 scheduled AFTER my return. But the next time I go down I shouldn't have all these issues.

Consider attempting to get dose 2 in Ecuador, if available, in order to keep within the best-efforts guidelines for the Pfizer vaccine.

As for "the next time," nobody knows what issues one might face.  The lesson here is to get as much information as possible as early as makes sense .. and do what you are doing -- keep communicating with us and with representatives of the airlines and-or the Ecuador government to find out what is possible in addressing issues.

cccmedia

As far as I know, one dose is not enough. Talking with my wife, I would be very lucky to be able to take the 2nd dose in Ecuador. I wasn't expecting to take the first dose here in the US until May, even though I have an at-risk health condition.

I should be back in time to take my 2nd dose.

Damon.

Dagretto wrote:

As far as I know, one dose is not enough. Talking with my wife, I would be very lucky to be able to take the 2nd dose in Ecuador. I wasn't expecting to take the first dose here in the US until May, even though I have an at-risk health condition.

I should be back in time to take my 2nd dose.

If you haven't determined this already -- and I was not able pin it down yesterday -- you need to find out if the second dose is required for you to be considered suitable to fly.

Worst case scenario ... you show up at the airport .. get notified that the one dose of Pfizer that you got is insufficient for travel to Ecuador .. and you are grounded for weeks. :o

--

I remind readers that I spoke on the phone with a consular representative yesterday (Ecuadorian consulate, Las Vegas, Nevada) who reviewed his notifications .. and could not tell me whether a second shot of a two-shot vaccine is required of travelers.

Damon, please tell us what you may find out about the second-shot requirement.

cccmedia

I have been scouring the Internet today, looking for reliable guidance from government agencies, usually-reliable spots such as World Nomads (insurance company) and Ecuador-news sites.  This is in addition to my conversation, above, with a consular official and my discussion with a poster on this thread today.

My conclusion is that -- with regards to testing and vaccinations requirements -- things may be moving too fast for anyone to be sure about the entire situation.

Individual travelers should remain nimble enough to check early and check back with airlines and online-information sites to avoid the 'grounded' scenario I posited above.

This is a prime example where conflicting information is available from different sources on different days .. exceptions may be made, but not necessarily for all travelers .. and a Wild West mentality may have to be accounted for in battling the bureaucracy and the changing regulations.

I recommend promptly getting both shots in a two-shot vaccine scenario before travel.  We need to find out how/where to upload results of an acceptable covid test taken within 72 hours of a flight to Ecuador, the exception being someone who has reliable information that s/he is not required to submit a negative test in the 3-day window.

cccmedia

An individual may not have a choice of vaccines.  For travelers, the one-shot vaccine makes sense, but may not be available.

For two-shot vaccines, there is a three-to-four week waiting period for the second shot, depending on whether it's Moderna or Pfizer.  Both shots must be from the same manufacturer, no mixing.

Then there is another two weeks after a second shot for the vaccine to take full effect.  That does not necessarily mean that airlines and governments will require travelers to wait the entire two-week period.

cccmedia

I have found an embassy website that answers my question about whether both shots are necessary for   travel to Ecuador in the two-shot series.  Are you following, Damon?

There is also information at this embassy website page that contradicts what I was told yesterday about a covid test supposedly being required of all travelers with test results to be uploaded before flying.

According to the website of the USA embassy in Quito:  as of March 22nd, either a negative covid test at least 72 hours before travel is required for travel to Ecuador OR INSTEAD the traveler must present a vaccination card showing that s/he has received a  "complete series" of vaccination(s).  Some small children are excepted.

The words complete series make it clear that both shots in a two-shot sequence are required, according to the embassy.

The option for a vaccination card instead of testing-and-uploading .. theoretically makes things much simpler for an Expat traveler headed for Ecuador.

Under the circumstances, do I believe that the above either-or scenario is correct?

Not exactly.  The rules change .. and the interpretations by officials at any airport may surprise.  I stand by my guidance in previous post(s) on this thread.  YMMV.

http://ec.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information-ecu-2/
Scroll down to Entry and Exit Requirements.

-- cccmedia

This is my understanding. In addition I do have an email from the airport in Guayaqyuil stating that either the PCR test or the rapid antigen test is acceptable for free entrance into the country. Whether or not the officials at the desk will honor that is, as you say, open to interpretation. But at least I have that documentation showing this.

Damon.

El presidente Moreno has declared a 30-day state of emergency effective today, April 2, for eight provinces, including those that include Quito, Cuenca and Guayaquil.

This imposes an 8 p.m. nightly curfew, subject to review by Ecuador's Constitutional Court.  The court has invalidated earlier orders of this type, citing restrictions on individual liberties.

Also: the emergency order imposes restrictions on driving and liquor sales .. and the closure of some businesses and some face-to-face transactions.

The reason for the emergency order is an increase in covid deaths of 25-40 percent this year in La República, according to the head of Ecuador's emergency operating committee.

source... www.cuencahighlife.com

Hello everyone . I would appreciate hearing from all of you what you think about my question. So, we are supossed to be moving to Ecuador this summer. However, Covid is still a very real and scary concern for me as my children are not vaccinated. I have worked to hard this year to keep them safe to put them at any risk. There are different opinions from friends amd family about moving in a month as opposed to moving in September. What do you all think about this. Is the timing super off for a move in the next few months? Thanks so much.  Blessings, Naomi

Naomi4 wrote:

Hello everyone . I would appreciate hearing from all of you what you think about my question. So, we are supossed to be moving to Ecuador this summer. However, Covid is still a very real and scary concern for me as my children are not vaccinated. I have worked to hard this year to keep them safe to put them at any risk. There are different opinions from friends amd family about moving in a month as opposed to moving in September. What do you all think about this. Is the timing super off for a move in the next few months? Thanks so much.  Blessings, Naomi

Naomi, this is a difficult question as we all want our children to be safe.  By far children as a group are the least vulnerable to covid-19.  Were I you, I would get an opinion from a doctor you trust to tell you the truth, based on knowing your children's medical history and risks.

But here are the numbers according to the CDC data (compiled as of March 31, 2021).
Children from 0-17 have virtually no risk.  Of the 526,028 deaths in the United States involving COVID-19, as officially reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, only 238 have been in children 17 and younger. 

That equals 0.04 percent of all COVID-19 deaths reported in the United States.

Here is the link to the CDC data:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi … #SexAndAge

Children aged 0-17:  238 deaths from covid-19;  38,993 deaths from all causes in the same period.

This March 31, 2021 article from U.S. News states that in 2020 the overall death rate in the US from covid-19 for children aged 5-14 years was the lowest among all our population, and gives the figure of just 134 deaths in 2020 among children aged 14 and under:

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/ar … -us-report

Naomi4 wrote:

So, we are supposed to be moving to Ecuador this summer... my children are not vaccinated.... There are different opinions from friends amd family about moving in a month as opposed to moving in September. What do you all think about this. Is the timing super off for a move in the next few months? Thanks so much.  Blessings, Naomi

It's April 2nd, so a summer move is months away.

My advice ... don't overthink this.

Get the family fully vaccinated .. then move (at least) two weeks later.

The key variable is when vaccinations are available to kids in your area.

cccmedia

IIRC while kids are less vulnerable to the virus, they can still be carriers. While I think it is a good idea to get them vaccinated, I think it is MORE critical the adults get vaccinated. If the kids get it, they'll likely be fine. Not so true for the adults. But this is my opinion.

As far as the curfew is concerned, my plans have been struck down by it. I was supposed to fly down to take marriage classes for our wedding later this month, & that is off. As well as the wedding. So I ended up cancelling my trip for now & using the money I had set aside to start working on my visa.

Damon.

Dagretto wrote:

As far as the curfew is concerned, my plans have been struck down by it. I was supposed to fly down to take marriage classes for our wedding later this month, & that is off. As well as the wedding. So I ended up cancelling my trip for now & using the money I had set aside to start working on my visa.

You're doing an admirable job staying on top of the situation. :top:

What a bummer it would have been if you made it down to Ecuador promptly, only to find out upon arrival that las clases para matrimonio and la boda sí misma had been postponed at least 30 days.

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:

What a bummer it would have been if you made it down to Ecuador promptly, only to find out upon arrival that las clases para matrimonio and la boda sí misma had been postponed at least 30 days.

Especially since my return ticket almost exactly coincides with the end of the curfew.

Next window is in June. My kids want to go to the beach. You would think that Manta would be perfect for that, but no. They want to go to New Jersey. I predict a conflict here.

Damon.

Dagretto wrote:

Next window is in June. My kids want to go to the beach. You would think that Manta would be perfect for that, but no. They want to go to New Jersey. I predict a conflict here.

The water temperature on the Jersey Shore may not be warm enough for ocean swimming in June, especially the first half of June.  Manta is a better bet if swimming is important.

There are really cheap prices for flights to Atlantic City's airport from some places (under $100 at cheapoair.com for DEN-ACY one way), but weekend hotel rates are sky-high in the better hotels.  Sunday through Thursday night rates are decent.

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:

El presidente Moreno has declared a 30-day state of emergency effective today, April 2, for eight provinces, including those that include Quito, Cuenca and Guayaquil.

This imposes an 8 p.m. nightly curfew, subject to review by Ecuador's Constitutional Court. The court has invalidated earlier orders of this type, citing restrictions on individual liberties.

Also: the emergency order imposes restrictions on driving and liquor sales .. and the closure of some businesses and some face-to-face transactions.

Damon, I wouldn't necessarily cancel all plans until the court rules on the constitutionality of the emergency declaration.  Consider staying in touch with your airline to finesse the situation.

I expect www.cuencahighlife.com will report on the court decision.

cccmedia