Coronavirus in Ecuador

According to Cuenca police, hundreds of adolescentes have been holding clandestine parties in violation of the pandemic rules against large-group gatherings.

Police say they broke up a fiesta clandestina of more than 100 youths on Gonzales Suárez .. and another teenagers' gathering of similar size on Avenida Remigio Crespo .. both since last weekend.

Source... www.cuencahighlife.com

The Lasso Administration has a goal of vaccinating 85 percent of the Ecuadorian population by December, according to health minister Ximena Garzón.

The most effective vaccine in Ecuador to date is Pfizer with an effectiveness rate of 95 percent.  AstraZeneca ranks second with a rate of 70 percent.

Do you mean 85% of the adults? or of the population?  I don't think it has been approved yet for children.

Do you know the effectiveness of SInovac? My wife took that vaccine.

Damon.

Dagretto wrote:

Sinovac has 50 percent effectiveness, according to the same source.

cccmedia

susanilla wrote:

Do you mean 85% of the adults? or of the population?  I don't think it has been approved yet for children.

The percentage that is vaxxed may depend on whether children, newborns through age 11, are approved for vaccination between now (August 5) and November or December.

The Cuenca Highlife report left it unclear.  "The plan is to vaccinate people over 12 years old."

cccmedia

Eighty-nine percent of Ecuador's seniors (65+) have received at least one covid shot .. with 73.8 percent having received two shots.

In Azuay Province, where Cuenca is located, 78.2 percent of seniors have received both shots, which signifies full vaccination two weeks after shot number-two.

Health minister Garzón says with pride that for several days in late July, Ecuador was delivering more vaccinations than was the U.S., which has 20 times the population of La República.

Source...  www.cuencahighlife.com

[Post under review]

Interesting to revist this discussion of last year, and how opinions have changed officially, now that members of US congress have adopted the lab leak concept (notice I didn't call it a theory).

Great synopsis, short to the point and hits all the keynotes. Well done, Mr Paul!

Has it been proven yet? Curious.  Are there other labs from around the world including the western hemisphere where leaks of various sorts have happened?  I wonder who tracks and/or investigates all of them?

I am so hoping that vaccines will prove safe and effective all ages, children also :)  And that they will be distributed and used worldwide regardless of wealth of the nation and peoples.

Hello,

We're going slightly off-track here. The thread is about coronavirus in Ecuador, after all.

Let us limit future posts to the situation in Ecuador, please.

Thanks,

Diksha
Expat.com team

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Off-topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Vaccine results.

At one hospital in Guayaquil between June 1 and August 15, a total of 155 patients required intensive-care treatment for coronavirus.

Of these, 2.4 percent of patients died who had been vaccinated.  Forty percent died who had not been vaccinated.

Source... Jose Vergara, an official at Guasmo Sur hospital in Guayaquil,
    as reported at www.cuencahighlife.com

I so hope that more are vaccinated in Eduador - to make getting that darn Covid less likely, or at least make it less severe if one does get it!.  I so love the people there:)

Ecuador's emergency committee is asking that Covid emergency restrictions be lifted for Guayaquil and El Oro province.

Presidente Lasso had declared an emergency .. and the restrictions apparently have worked.

Over 7.4 million people in Ecuador have received covid vaccines.

Source...  www.cuencahighlife.com

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have once again removed off-topic posts unrelated to the coronavirus in Ecuador.

Thanks,

Diksha
Expat.com team

9-million in Ecuador have been vaccinated.

The Lasso Administration has brought the number of covid-vaccinated people over age 16 to more than 9-million, according to the health ministry.

"We have met our goal," Presidente Lasso declared in his 100-days speech, though he is not stopping there.  75 percent of adults have been vaccinated, said El Presidente;  the goal for this month, September 2021, is to get to 85 percent .. and then 95 percent by year's end.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Off-topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Ecuador's health minister says life in La República will return to normalcy by January.

The minister, Ximena Garzón, takes pride in saying that 90 percent of seniors and the immuno-compromised have already been vaccinated.

However, Garzón does not believe that covid will disappear from Ecuador in 2022.  She says the virus will be with us long-term .. and it will have to be managed for years.

She says it is important for the people of Ecuador to continue mask-wearing and observing covid protocols through the end of 2021.

source... www.cuencahighlife.com

I so hope the people of Ecuador will have more common sense than so many people in the US who think it is their right to Not get a vaccine, and then get it and spread it and die!  Sadly that is actually happening. Four news castors have had that happen already.  If people had refused the Polio vaccine this would be a very sad world indeed.

Is there a curfew in Guayaquil right now? My flight arrives at 10;30 pm and I wont be out of the airport until 11. will it be a problem to get a taxi at that hour?

Cuenca nightlife update.

Cuenca's emergency committee has authorized bars, discotecas and other nightlife businesses to reopen starting on October 6 (2021).

Entertainment businesses that serve alcoholic drinks will be open for the first time since the early days of la pandemia in March of last year, including brothels and gaming centers.

Hospitals close more covid wards.

"The good news," according to the director of the national Association of Private Hospitals and Clinics, is that "the pandemic is almost over" in Ecuador.

Private and public hospitals in Quito, Cuenca and Guayaquil have been closing their covid wards due to lack of patients and the complexity of covid protocols.

Ximena Garzón, Ecuador's health minister, is more cautious.  She says the pandemic is not over worldwide and Ecuador should be prepared for a potential resurgence.

Health officials credit Ecuador's aggressive vaccination program for enabling La República to avoid delta resurgences such as have occurred in the U.S., the U.K. and other world hot spots.

J&J booster.

Ximena Garzón knows that Johnson & Johnson is the preferred covid vaccine for Ecuadorians who visit the USA for vaxxing.

The Ecuador health minister also knows that effectiveness of the J&J jabs has fallen to 60 percent.  That's 20 to 30 percent lower than the effectiveness of vaccines administered in Ecuador.

Garzón is recommending that persons who have been vaccinated with J&J vaccine get a booster shot of another vaccine available in Ecuador -- Pfizer, AstroZenica or Sinovac.

Source... cuencahighlife.com

Ecuador's vaccination count approaches 10 million people.

More than 9.9 million people in Ecuador have now been fully vaccinated against covid, according to Johns Hopkins U.  The number is over 9,918,000.

Twenty-point-one million shots of covid vaccine have been administered in La República.

Over 57 percent of all people in Ecuador have been fully vaccinated.

Source... Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center's Vaccine Tracker,
                  as of October 9, 2021

Vaccinating the youth of Ecuador.

Ecuador is beginning the vaccination of children ages 6 to 11.

It is completing the vaccination of 12-year-olds and teens.

By the end of November, the government expects 85 percent of the population will be vaccinated.

Source... the World Bank, as reported at www.cuencahighlife.com

Record numbers of Ecuadorians celebrate the demise of covid.

Huge numbers of Ecuadorians recently traveled the roads of La República, a sign that mass vaccinations have broken the back of the covid virus in this country and folks were ready to celebrate, post-restrictions.

A tourism ministry spokesman says ministry officials were astounded to learn that 2.3 million people were on Ecuador's roads during the five-day weekend at the start of this month.

More details at www.cuencahighlife.com ...
"Tourism sets record during holidays"

90-percentile vaccination rates in Ecuador.

Of those people in Ecuador who are over 65 or have immunocompromised conditions, 96 percent have now been fully vaccinated.

98 percent of health care professionals and 93 percent of teachers have been vaccinated.

Vaccinations are widely credited with the greatly reduced levels of covid in Ecuador.

Source.. health minister Ximena Garzón and the health ministry

This is encouraging. My wife and I are considering relocation to Ecuador at the end of 2022. Here's hoping the new variants were hearing about aren't as bad as some fear.

Ecuador requires arriving travelers to be vaccinated.

In response to developments concerning omicron/covid, Presidente Lasso has announced that travelers entering Ecuador must show they are covid-vaccinated and must have a negative PCR covid test within 72 hours before arrival.

Details are available at www.cuencahighlife.com ("President Lasso Announces...", dated November 30, 2021) and at the new Expat.com thread titled "Ecuador Requires Arriving Travelers To Be Vaccinated," which is clickable at the Ecuador forum page.

cccmedia

As re: my deleted post on this thread.  Well, I have read the code of conduct, and I must have missed the part that suggested that information about Coronavirus is off limits on a Coronavirus thread, because if the Coronavirus discussed was in another country, then it is off topic.  I'm quite sure after all this time the Virus and all of its mutant offspring are well aware of the fact that they are to respect national borders, and not cross those lines without the permission of an administrator. 

PS - Expecting us to comprehend why our posts were deleted, while not giving us access to what we wrote seems to support the notion that my recall is far better than it actually is.  It would be awfully nice to get said post sent to me as a message so I might review it after I am slapped with a rejection.  That might give me some clues and context to what the admin was thinking.  Currently, I have no clue.

HeyMrPaul wrote:

PS - Expecting us to comprehend why our posts were deleted,

I will happily assist you.  :)

The forum has seen a massive anti-vax / conspiracy theory / utter nut job attack from a variety of posters who commonly use political sites, quack doctors and/or quotes from extremist politicians and a variety of other idiots as 'proof' of their idea.

Not one has ever managed any proof from a reputable source.

The Epoch times and other highly biased publications are not acceptable. That covers the US political right but the same goes for politically left extremist fools in the UK who spout anti-vax rubbish. They tend to do it for cash, power, and political advantage rather than trying to do anything useful.

These utterly despicable people are making cash, but people who follow their words are just helping to hurt others - foolishly as they don't get a cut of the profits.

This is the truth behind these leading the anti vax stupidity - enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u34rnwBnll4

The forum's owner has made it very clear this dangerous anti-vax stuff can't be left on the forum as, just like the  silly anti-MMR vaccine stuff of some years ago, it does a lot of harm.

Any and all anti-vax and conspiracy stuff will be deleted so don't bother posting it

[Post under review]

Dagretto wrote:

Damon.

Bit of a late reply - Sorry
The last reputable research sites I looked at confirm the 50+ % number given earlier but add a 98 or 100% rate against serious symptoms/hospitalisation.
Probably not the best vaccine but it seems to be doing a reasonable job.

Glad Ecuador is requiring travelers to be vaccinated and tested.

Holiday restrictions throughout Ecuador.

Ecuadorian government officials are concerned about covid spread in some Amazon and coastal provinces .. and Pichincha, the province of Quito.

So new rules have been imposed through early January by the national emergency committee, including proof of vaccination to enter supermarkets, shopping malls, restaurants, bars and places of worship throughout La República.

More specifics, including limits on how many people can enter businesses, are published at the Cuenca Highlife website, which is the source of the information in this post.

Ecuador emergency measures as of 17 December.

The holidays emergency measures for covid took effect this weekend and extend to at least January 3, 2022.

Things got a bit more complicated this week as Ecuador's emergency committee decided to allow individual municipalities the choice of whether to require individuals to show proof of vaccination in order to enter businesses and certain buildings.

More details at www.cuencahighlife.com

Vaxxing now mandatory in Ecuador.

The Health Ministry announced a vaccine mandate on Thursday (Dec. 23, 2021).  It is now mandatory for everyone in Ecuador to be vaccinated versus covid.

An exception can be made for a person with a certified condition for which vaxxing would be harmful.

The mandate follows an uptick in coronavirus infections in La República.

Details at www.cuencahighlife.com