Menu
Expat.com

Official Vietnam Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) Info Site

Last activity 02 July 2021 by Priscilla

jodocus

Perhaps no precise date but it does mention April, which for sure is encouraging news. Heck, the fact that Foreigners are even mentioned is a positive. Thanks for the update.

OceanBeach92107
Ciambella wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

If I'm reading the Google Translation correctly and if Google has translated the Ministry of Health webpage correctly, a plan to vaccinate foreigners will be implemented by April, AFTER a plan for implementing "Vaccine Visas/Vaccine Passports" is officially announced.

It's the technology infrastructure required for the vaccine passport that will be implemented when the government decides on the specific form and data for the passport.  There's no date on the actual plan to vaccinate foreigners.

See: Vaccines for expats

Thanks very much for the clarification Ciambella

pppham40

Thanks for sharing OceanBeach92107 and Ciambella.

OceanBeach92107

A man who flew from the U.S. to Ho Chi Minh City on March 10th, by way of Korea, has now tested positive for COVID-19 here in Đà Nẵng.

chinhphu.vn/Home/Viet-Nam-Confirms-Two-New-COVID19-Cases/20213/43262.vgp

There are no reports of increased restrictions here yet...

paulmsn
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

A man who flew from the U.S. to Ho Chi Minh City on March 10th, by way of Korea, has now tested positive for COVID-19 here in Đà Nẵng.

chinhphu.vn/Home/Viet-Nam-Confirms-Two-New-COVID19-Cases/20213/43262.vgp

There are no reports of increased restrictions here yet...

From what I've read, he was immediately quarantined upon arrival and tested positive in quarantine seven days later.  He was then sent to a hospital in Cu Chi district.  Was he quarantined at home in Da Nang? 

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/one-imported- … 197831.vnp

paulmsn

Forty-two days without a community transmission in HCMC ended because of a woman who snuck in by fishing boat to Phu Quoc , took a boat to the mainland and a bus to HCMC, then had a health check at FV Hospital and tested positive.  Another woman who came on the same vessel stopped the streak of  thirty-four days in Hai Phong City.  Sad.

OceanBeach92107
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

In Vietnamese language.

Use android Chrome browser translation option OR share with Google Translate app to read in English:

https://ncov.moh.gov.vn/

Bumping the above link as previously requested.

Also, news of 19 new COVID-19 cases in Vietnam, all imported:

news.chinhphu.vn/Home/Nineteen-New-COVID19-Cases-Confirmed-More-Than-60000-People-Vaccinated/20214/43468.vgp

OceanBeach92107

The current case of Patient #2899 and new infections linked to him are causing great concern by the national government as the double holiday weekend begins:

This link is to a Ministry of Health notice sent out through the Zalo app.

The following is a Google translation of pertinent sections of the article:
------
Experts explain the source of the infectious COVID-19 case in Ha Nam

18:19 April 30, 2021

"To date patient 2899 in Ha Nam has infected at least 12 cases of exposure,

"The epidemiological investigation showed that BN2899 returned from Japan to Da Nang on April 7, then concentrated in a hotel in Da Nang for 14 days with 3 negative tests.  At 18:40 on April 21, the patient took a bus back to his hometown in Dao Ly commune, Ly Nhan district, Ha Nam.

"Daily monitoring results through the camera system and camera extraction results from April 7-21, showed that the patient complied with the regulations, did not step out of the room, did not communicate with anyone in the process.

"On the morning of April 24, the patient showed signs of fever and sore throat, so the patient's father went to the commune health station to report.  However, it was not until April 28 that the patient was tested, the same afternoon the patient had a positive result for SARS-CoV-2.

"During the period from April 22 to April 28, BN2899 met and ate with a lot of people."

THIGV
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

However, it was not until April 28 that the patient was tested, the same afternoon the patient had a positive result for SARS-CoV-2.

Hopefully this will be discussed in detail with WHO and Japanese authorities.  I am wondering if he has some kind of variant that causes a longer latent period.  Also some variants have been know to give false negatives before the disease manifests itself.

OceanBeach92107

From the official government news site:

Viet Nam extends length of mandatory
due to longer incubation period

VGP – The Ministry of Health has ordered localities to continue quarantining all entrants who have completed 14-day mandatory quarantine, applicable from May 4 at both State and civilian quarantine sites.

The length of extension will be decided shortly by the National Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control led by Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam.

As of 6:00 am on Tuesday, Viet Nam confirmed 2,985 COVID-19 infection cases, including 2,549 recoveries and 35 fatalities.

The Southeast Asian nation is experiencing resurgence of community transmissions after a Vietnamese man returning from Japan and a Chinese national tested positive for COVID-19 after completing 14-day quarantine period.

news.chinhphu.vn/Home/Viet-Nam-extends-length-of-mandatory-quarantine-due-to-longer-incubation-period/20215/43659.vgp

OceanBeach92107
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

From the official government news site:

Viet Nam extends length of mandatory
due to longer incubation period

Should read "length of mandatory quarantine"

OceanBeach92107

It's official: The length of "concentrated quarantine for new arrivals and those with close contact to positive COVID-19 cases has been extended to 21 days, effective 5-5-2021:

(Google Translation with a few obvious errors)

The Ministry of Health extended the concentrated quarantine period from 14 to 21 days (link)

"Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long said: To ensure the safety of the community to avoid the infection of SARS-CoV-2 from people who have been in close contact with COVID-19 cases.

After consulting with experts in epidemiology and virology, the Ministry of Health decided to extend the period of concentration quarantine for those who have been in close contact with SARS-CoV positive cases.  -2 and other cases of entry to Vietnam

Before the complicated development of COVID-19 epidemic in the world in recent years with the emergence of new strains of SARS-CoV-2, scientists must study and re-evaluate the incubation period of COVID.  -19.

“To ensure the community's safety from SARS-CoV-2 infection from people who have been in close contact with cases of COVID-19, after consulting with experts on epidemiology and viruses. 

The Ministry of Health decided to extend the period of concentrated isolation for those who have been in close contact with SARS-CoV-2-positive cases and entry into Vietnam ”- Minister  Health Nguyen Thanh Long said.

Thus, for the time being, the concentrated quarantine period for people who have been in close contact with SARS-CoV-2-positive cases and entry into Vietnam will last 21 days instead of 14 days.  with before.

The Minister of Health requested the local Department of Health to direct the Centers for Disease Control to strictly comply with the regulations on centralized isolation, absolutely not allowing cross-contamination in isolation areas;  hand over quarantine performers to localities where they live in accordance with regulations;  Local Centers for Disease Control, who receive the handover, need to thoroughly implement medical supervision and monitoring for these cases in the next 7 days. 

The decision to extend the quarantine period is effective from 5/5/2021.

Minister of Health Nguyen Thanh Long also suggested all localities hold the COVID-19 epidemic prevention rush, including conducting a general review of cases of foreigners entering Vietnam;  check people working in discotheque, bar, karaoke, massage establishments and others to test for cases in the community.

Minister Nguyen Thanh Long emphasized: 'The localities need to thoroughly grasp the direction of the Prime Minister to quickly zoning, quarantine, and stamp out the epidemic, soon stabilize the situation in the locality;  Enhance the responsibility of the leader in the prevention and control of the COVID-19 epidemic. 

Local authorities also need to promote communication and strictly implement measures to ensure that people comply with the 5K recommendation of the Ministry of Health.  At the same time, continue to carry out safe vaccination of COVID-19 vaccine according to the plan and schedule'"

pppham40

Thank you for the update.

devarj57

I had one day remaining of 14 day quarantine and BAM! Now another week added to 21 days. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy - NOT!

paulmsn
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It's official: The length of "concentrated quarantine for new arrivals and those with close contact to positive COVID-19 cases has been extended to 21 days, effective 5-5-2021:...

I was planning to go to Tra Vinh province last week, but because there was a local transmission in HCMC and because I wasn't sure how watchful they would be in the other provinces, I decided not to go, specifically because I didn't want to risk the 3-week quarantine.  Maybe I was overcautious. 

I just read, though, that HCMC is re-establishing checkpoints and will require inbound travelers to complete a "health declaration procedure".  Does anyone know what that entails?

dionstravels

it's just a form that you fill out

Budman1
paulmsn wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It's official: The length of "concentrated quarantine for new arrivals and those with close contact to positive COVID-19 cases has been extended to 21 days, effective 5-5-2021:...

I was planning to go to Tra Vinh province last week, but because there was a local transmission in HCMC and because I wasn't sure how watchful they would be in the other provinces, I decided not to go, specifically because I didn't want to risk the 3-week quarantine.  Maybe I was overcautious. 

I just read, though, that HCMC is re-establishing checkpoints and will require inbound travelers to complete a "health declaration procedure".  Does anyone know what that entails?

Save yourself some time and put this APP on your phone, and fill it out:

https://ncovi.vnpt.vn/

They'll look at that and take a quick temperature check and your on your way. I've had it on my mine and my wife's since the last time. Check point people appreciate it.

Rick

paulmsn
dionstravels wrote:

it's just a form that you fill out

Thanks -- I just now read an article that stated that.  I assume it's like the one I filled out when I went to the doctor a month ago.  I'll cross my fingers that the provinces on the way aren't any stricter, and that there are no new local cases in HCMC before I leave.

paulmsn
Budman1 wrote:

Save yourself some time and put this APP on your phone:

They'll look at that and take a quick temperature check and your on your way. I've had it on my wife and my wife's since the last time. Check point people appreciate it.

Rick

Thanks, done.

Budman1
paulmsn wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Save yourself some time and put this APP on your phone:

They'll look at that and take a quick temperature check and your on your way. I've had it on my wife and my wife's since the last time. Check point people appreciate it.

Rick

Thanks, done.

Need to update your status every day or so too.
Rick

OceanBeach92107
Budman1 wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Save yourself some time and put this APP on your phone, and fill it out:

They'll look at that and take a quick temperature check and your on your way. I've had it on my mine and my wife's since the last time. Check point people appreciate it.

Rick

☆☆☆☆☆ advice, Rick 😎👍

In particular, Danang appears poised to demand the use of digital health declaration apps for anyone entering the city:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=932726#5110656

International MD

Hi Rick,

Does the checkpoint APP also come in English?  I clicked on the link you provided but it was in Vietnamese with no English translation option. Thanks for your help!
-Toni

Guest2023
International MD wrote:

Hi Rick,

Does the checkpoint APP also come in English?  I clicked on the link you provided but it was in Vietnamese with no English translation option. Thanks for your help!
-Toni

Download the app, it has both English and Vietnamese to choose from once downloaded.

paulmsn

I went to Tra Vinh, and I have not encountered any authorities or checkpoints.  I expect I will hit a checkpoint in HCMC when I go back, though.

Ciambella

UPDATE news from Bluezone:

The Ministry of Health informed that patient 3055, a 34 year old male, has died last night, May 16, 2021 due to an underlying medical condition, bringing the total COVID death to 37. 

The patient was admitted to the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases on April 24 with the diagnoses of severe pneumonia caused by COVID-19, traumatic brain injury caused by a traffic accident, bacterial meningitis, and dilated ventricles.

Patient died from complicated purulent meningitis, sepsis, sequelae of brain injury, respiratory failure, and pneumonia. 

At the moment, the conditions of 16 COVID patients (out of of more than 1,400 in treatment patients) are worsening.  Patient 2983 and 3019 have to undergo ECMO intervention due to many underlying diseases; the other 15 patients are in intensive care and on invasive ventilators.

Source: MoH

THIGV

I am definitely not one of those who feels that COVID deaths are over reported.  However as this individual was reported to have had "traumatic brain injury caused by a traffic accident," I think it could be said that he died "with" COVID not "from" COVID.

Guest2023
THIGV wrote:

I am definitely not one of those who feels that COVID deaths are over reported.  However as this individual was reported to have had "traumatic brain injury caused by a traffic accident," I think it could be said that he died "with" COVID not "from" COVID.

I wonder how many deaths have been documented as being Covid related, when in fact it was something else.

THIGV
colinoscapee wrote:

I wonder how many deaths have been documented as being Covid related, when in fact it was something else.

In some poorer countries, maybe not nearly as many as the number that die uncounted without ever entering a hospital.  It is reported that that in the current outbreak in India, deaths may be as many as 10 times the official number.  Compared to India, Vietnam has to be seen as an "advanced" country when it comes to COVID statistics and universal availability of care.

Ciambella
THIGV wrote:

However as this individual was reported to have had "traumatic brain injury caused by a traffic accident," I think it could be said that he died "with" COVID not "from" COVID.

I agree with you, but the MoH called it a COVID death so perhaps they believed that the severe pneumonia from COVID was a larger contribution to the death AT THAT TIME than the brain injury.

Guest2023

Hypothetical:
If someone was out driving a car on a scenic route and were positive for Covid. The car leaves the road and goes over a cliff and the driver dies. What killed him, Covid or the accident.

In the world we live in today Covid seems to be the answer.

THIGV

Maybe he blacked out and crashed his motorbike because he couldn't breathe.   hmm.png

It certainly does sound like he was a real wreck in more than one area.

Safepeter
THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

In some poorer countries, maybe not nearly as many as the number that die uncounted without ever entering a hospital.  It is reported that that in the current outbreak in India, deaths may be as many as 10 times the official number.  Compared to India, Vietnam has to be seen as an "advanced" country when it comes to COVID statistics and universal availability of care.

Listened to an interview on air between a reporter and doctor discussing a motorcycle accident where the rider died of injuries at the scene.
The medical report stated he died of covid. When asked how that could be the doctors response was "he could have died of covid".

THIGV wrote:

Compared to many countries Vietnam has to be seen as an "advanced" country when it comes to COVID statistics and universal availability of care,

including here in Australia when there is so much infighting between the states and blaming the Federal Govt. when the states aren't doing anything to help their own constituents.

Guest2023
THIGV wrote:

Maybe he blacked out and crashed his motorbike because he couldn't breathe.   hmm.png

It certainly does sound like he was a real wreck in more than one area.

The car had a blowout.

Ciambella

UPDATE for May 20:

Today, the Ministry of Health informed the public on the 38th death related to COVID-19 in Vietnam.

The deceased was patient 3197, a 64-year-old female with a 10 year history of chronic hepatitis B and recently detected liver cancer.

The patient was taken to the National Hospital for Tropical Diseases on May 4, treated with intensive care, mechanical ventilation, broad-spectrum antibiotics, antifungal drugs, anti-inflammatory drugs, blood transfusion, and vasopressors.  However, due to the underlying diseases being too severe to respond to treatment, the patient died on May 19, 2021.

Diagnosis of death: Septic shock from liver cancer, chronic hepatitis B, hemophagocytic syndrome, leukopenia, and SARS-COV-2 infection.

Source: Suckhoedoisong.vn, the official media site for MoH

Ciambella

Update for June 2:

Patient 5463, a 37-year-old woman, daughter of a restaurant owner located in Alley 287 Nguyễn Đình Chiểu, Q3, died at 8:00 am today.  This is the first COVID-19 death in Saigon during this outbreak, bringing the total deaths in the country since the beginning of the pandemic to 49.

According to the Central Hospital for Tropical Diseases, patient had a history of hypertension, heart failure, and end-stage renal failure before being confirmed with COVID-19, specifically the British variant B.1.1.7.

Diagnosis for death are severe COVID-19 due to septic shock, heart failure caused by hypertension, and end-stage chronic kidney failure.

Source: suckhoedoisong.vn

THIGV

Renal failure at 37 does seem premature even for a diabetic.

OceanBeach92107
THIGV wrote:

Renal failure at 37 does seem premature even for a diabetic.

The congestive heart failure likely played a role in that

SteinNebraska

Vietnam possibly reducing the quarantine period to seven days if you have the vaccine.  The article also goes on to say if you have antibodies or "tested negative" so seems fairly broad.

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 … 61302.html

goodolboy

https://hatangdothi.tphcm.gov.vn/covid1 … 259hKQ8q0U

Positive news .....apart from floor level 2, all levels above up to 15th floor are now out of lock down in my previous apartment Moscow Tower D12. Level 2 has to stay in quarantine.

Kính gởi: Cư dân Moscow Tower
Theo quyết định số 239/QĐ-UBND phường Tân Thới Nhất thông báo:
1️⃣  Gỡ  bỏ phong tỏa Block A2: tầng 03 đến tầng 15.
2️⃣ Thời gian gỡ bỏ phong tỏa: Bắt đầu từ ngày 09/06/2021
P/s: Cư dân vui lòng chú ý:
1️⃣  Về giấy xác nhận kết quả xét nghiệm âm tính cho cư dân: BQT có hỏi và chủ tịch UBND phường xác nhận lại: Quyết định số 239 thay thế cho giấy xác nhận nói trên.
2️⃣  Nhằm đảm bảo an toàn chống dịch hiệu quả, cư dân sau khi gỡ bỏ phong tỏa, vui lòng vẫn thực hiện theo chỉ thị 15 của UBND thành phố.
3️⃣  Riêng cư dân tầng 02: sẽ tiếp tục phong tỏa và nhu yếu phẩm sẽ bố trí Bảo vệ và dân quân mang lên tầng 02 theo thông báo đã dán tại tầng 02.
BQT xin thông báo

jcsaunders

Be safe and save others !

ALL VIETNAMESE AND FOREIGN NATIONALS IN VIET NAM SHALL WEAR FACE MASKS AT CROWDED PUBLIC PLACES

This tread got me thinking about Expats and the Vaccine.
So a friend sent me this article about World Wide US Expats and others.

There is pressure coming from US Expats to get the US Government to help us out with Vaccinations ...  We pay tax and we vote ...  We are citizens of the USA.   Well, the Government says , We do not provide overseas healthcare ... While the Global US Expat community says, This is not a healthcare issues, but a Global Emergency.   
I believe China sent vaccines to Australia with a side note... there  are extra vaccines for the Chinese Citizens living in Australia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/am … AhrF3i6a6k

We shall see.
Your thoughts ...

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles