Menu
Expat.com

Possible move to the Canary Islands

Last activity 10 December 2020 by Vonster.1

Carlvlae

I am Carl. I am 55 with over 25 years of experience in the hospitality and travel industries. I have worked on cruise ships for more than twenty years and have visited 130 countries. I speak five languages fluently (Dutch, English, French, German and Spanish) I am looking for a new challenge. The Canary Islands have always had a special place in my heart. I have visited Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote. Tenerife might have more work opportunities but I absolutely love Lanzarote. I am a true people's person. Very outgoing and sociable, communicative. I would love to work in a position where I can use my languages, travel experience (not a must) but definitely where I can offer the best possible service. I have sales experience and would love to start working in real estate. Because I love administration and am meticulous with great attention to detail. And I love to talk and I somehow feel real estate would be ideal for me. I am just a bit worried that traveling to the Canary Islands, rent an apartment and look for a job might be challenging but it is difficult from Belgium ( am currently in the UK but will return to Belgium later this month) to get a job. I was told that being there locally will give me much more opportunities. I am ready for a new chapter in my life. Any recommendations, advice or general info are appreciated.

stumpy

Welcome to the forum  smile.png

As the Canary Islands are run by Spain you can go to "discover" at the top of this page and open the Spain Guide for information. Also take the time to read through other posts here too.

Carlvlae

Thank you so much. This weekend I will take a closer look at this website and see how it all works.

Carl

Vonster.1

If you want to work in real estate, you can look up the agencies there and email them. This is an industry which pays a lower salary plus a commission so relatively to other businesses they're more willing to hire now ( after the lockdown). Your language skills will definitely add value. My agent was an English speaking lady from Peru and not every agent speaks English in Madrid. You will probably start with an agency which pays a lower salary because of the current market conditions and the fact that you are inexperienced, but with a higher commission rate than those that offer higher base salaries , usually larger international agencies. Once you have learned the business and the local market, you can decide which way you prefer, or even starting your own agency. Good luck!

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Canary Islands

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Accommodation in Tenerife
    Accommodation in Tenerife

Tenerife is the largest and most populous of the seven Canary Islands, a Spanish archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean ...

• Accommodation in Seville
    Accommodation in Seville

Seville is a southern Andalusian city that's easy to fall in love with. The Moorish architecture works of art, ...

• Accommodation in Valencia
    Accommodation in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the province of Valencia, a Mediterranean destination of striking architecture, vast ...

• Choosing your neighbourhood in Madrid
    Choosing your neighbourhood in Madrid

Location is probably the most important determining factor when purchasing a home. You see, no matter how much you ...

• Working in Seville 
    Working in Seville 

Seville is the capital of the autonomous community of Andalusia and home to its government. It is a lively ...

• Accommodation in Malaga
    Accommodation in Malaga

Malaga is a busy port city on southern Spain's Costa del Sol, a place that blends ancient history with the ...

• The labor market in Spain
    The labor market in Spain

The Spanish labor market offers a range of opportunities for expats. Spain has long been a favored destination for ...

All of the Canary Islands's guide articles