Menu
Expat.com

How to travel to Vietnam during the restrictions due to COVID 19?

Last activity 16 June 2021 by devarj57

Contem talk
ctta2020 wrote:
pppham40 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  As you know, what we post today or even as I type.... info can change.  As for me how I know.   

I was on the connection from ICN to HAN yesterday.  4 marries couple and their children (diplomat - US, expert-France, and 2 with identical situation from the OP - did'd asked their origin) were able to obtain visa on arrival just like me.

My host organization in VN is currently processing paperwork for my visa and quarantine.  I know if I get approved with the visa, then I'll need to find a flight.  So far, of the flights I have booked, they both were cancelled by the airlines due to the last left from Seoul or Tokyo to Hanoi being cancelled (Asiana Air and Delta/Vietnam Airlines).  When I search for commercial flights, they are far and few between until about January. 

PPPHAM40, where did you fly from?  I'll be flying from the U.S. to Vietnam.  I was thinking that once I get issued the expert visa then I will have a more realistic chance to find a flight with the help of the VN Embassy and my host organization.  All the information I am getting from this thread has been helping me know the pathway more clearly.

Also, I was told by my host organization than I will need to go to the VN Embassy to pick up my visa once it is issued.  But I read in PPPHAM40's post, that you, along with those other folks, got your visas upon arrival?  Can you share more about your process?

Many thanks!!

I think you should wait for another few more months if you do not have any urgent matter in Vietnam,  The process and paperwork are so complicated, especially booking flights. You cannot transit one country to another country the same as before, Specially in Asian Countries.

OceanBeach92107
ctta2020 wrote:
pppham40 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  As you know, what we post today or even as I type.... info can change.  As me how I know.   

I was on the connection from ICN to HAN yesterday.  4 marries couple and their children (diplomat - US, expert-France, and 2 with identical situation from the OP - did'd asked their origin) were able to obtain visa on arrival just like me.

My host organization in VN is currently processing paperwork for my visa and quarantine.  I know if I get approved with the visa, then I'll need to find a flight.  So far, of the flights I have booked, they both were cancelled by the airlines due to the last left from Seoul or Tokyo to Hanoi being cancelled (Asiana Air and Delta/Vietnam Airlines).  When I search for commercial flights, they are far and few between until about January. 

PPPHAM40, where did you fly from?  I'll be flying from the U.S. to Vietnam.  I was thinking that once I get issued the expert visa then I will have a more realistic chance to find a flight with the help of the VN Embassy and my host organization.  All the information I am getting from this thread has been helping me know the pathway more clearly.

Also, I was told by my host organization than I will need to go to the VN Embassy to pick up my visa once it is issued.  But I read in PPPHAM40's post, that you, along with those other folks, got your visas upon arrival?  Can you share more about your process?

Many thanks!!

The use of the phrase "Visa on Arrival" is misleading.

Before the pandemic, a "Visa on Arrival" was arranged in advance through a private visa agent.

There was also the "e-visa".

However, now, neither of those options is available

If a traveler is obtaining their "visa on arrival", it is because a sponsor has arranged this directly through immigration.

To the casual reader, Visa on Arrival (VOA) agencies are currently unable to issue new entry visas for Vietnam.

Contem talk
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
ctta2020 wrote:
pppham40 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  As you know, what we post today or even as I type.... info can change.  As me how I know.   

Many thanks!!

The use of the phrase "Visa on Arrival" is misleading.

Before the pandemic, a "Visa on Arrival" was arranged in advance through a private visa agent.

There was also the "e-visa".

However, now, neither of those options is available

If a traveler is obtaining their "visa on arrival", it is because a sponsor has arranged this directly through immigration.

To the casual reader, Visa on Arrival (VOA) agencies are currently unable to issue new entry visas for Vietnam.

I think OP asked about visa stamp on Passport on arrival at the airport

pppham40

[Post under review]

ctta2020

@pppham40, I'm not sure why, but your post is not showing up. It just says "post is under review" on this post, as well as the next two posts of your.  Is this the case for everyone else too?

Vaneric

New info

http://tgvn.com.vn/ministry-of-health-i … 27682.html

SteinNebraska

I like the direction they are going and technically pretty much everyone "arrives" from those half dozen locations since those are the most common connecting flights.  That said it doesn't expand upon that to show people coming directly from those locations or "transiting through" those locations so I wouldn't get too worked up about it yet.  I don't see this as a silver bullet for those wanting to come from the US, Europe or Australia for example.

ctta2020

@danrodri, Would you share more about how your found your flights that actually got you to Malaysia and from Malaysia to Vietnam?

I am in the process of looking for a real flight that will not get cancelled by the airline.  My host in VN needs the confirmation of the flight to secure the quarantine service and I am not so confident that the airlines are flying the flights they advertise and sell.

Any advice or sharing of experience from you or others is very appreciated at this time.

Thank you!

Irasshaimase
GuestPoster3010 wrote:

#Question 2:
What about the housing for the quarantine? I could not find much information on how and where to reserve a lodging for the 14 days quarantine.

I've found this list of hotels which are dedicated for quarantine:
https://www.vietnam-visa.com/quarantine … anoi-hcmc/

Unfortunately is not clear to me how to book them.
Will I  have to book them just as usual (e.g. booking, agoda, ..) and then inform them that I'll be there for quarantine?
Any previous experience?

thanks in advance

OceanBeach92107
Irasshaimase wrote:
GuestPoster3010 wrote:

#Question 2:
What about the housing for the quarantine? I could not find much information on how and where to reserve a lodging for the 14 days quarantine.

I've found this list of hotels which are dedicated for quarantine:

*snip*

Unfortunately is not clear to me how to book them.
Will I  have to book them just as usual (e.g. booking, agoda, ..) and then inform them that I'll be there for quarantine?
Any previous experience?

thanks in advance

Be aware it's now a 21-day quarantine.

Also your profile says that you are already here in Vietnam. Is that an error?

Your best bet is to contact the prospective employer/sponsor you mentioned in THIS POST.

Just as is true with the airlines, the hotel will need to see official paperwork before they will accept you as a quarantined guest

Irasshaimase
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Yes, unfortunately I'm aware, even though I'm already vaccinated. Thanks anyway.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I Might have filled it out wrongly. I'm due to arrive in early July, then quarantine and then start to work in VN in august.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Your best bet is to contact the prospective employer/sponsor you mentioned in THIS POST.

Just as is true with the airlines, the hotel will need to see official paperwork before they will accept you as a quarantined guest

Ok thanks, I'll get in touch with my sponsor.

Anyway just for information, what was the experience for other people?
Because I've found some agencies online which are advertising that they can take care of the process, so I was wondering what would be the process.

Thanks

Guest2023
Irasshaimase wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Yes, unfortunately I'm aware, even though I'm already vaccinated. Thanks anyway.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I Might have filled it out wrongly. I'm due to arrive in early July, then quarantine and then start to work in VN in august.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Ok thanks, I'll get in touch with my sponsor.

Anyway just for information, what was the experience for other people?
Because I've found some agencies online which are advertising that they can take care of the process, so I was wondering what would be the process.

Thanks

Those agencies will all be doing it illegally, dont do it.

Irasshaimase
colinoscapee wrote:

Hi Colinoscapee

I didn't mean agencies for VISA but agencies for booking a quarantine hotel.
For instance I found these two (I'm not affiliated):
https://www.vietnam-visa.com/quarantine … anoi-hcmc/https://www.vietnambooking.com/khach-sa … hanoi.html

The second one has also prices for some of the hotels (not all).

matthanoi
Irasshaimase wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Hi Colinoscapee

https://www.vietnam-visa.com/quarantine … anoi-hcmc/https://www.vietnambooking.com/khach-sa … hanoi.html

I booked directly with the quarantine hotel. They were very helpful and this was by far the easiest part of the process (compared to getting the visa, entry approval and flight). I'm not really sure what an agent adds to the process other than extra charges.

OceanBeach92107
matthanoi wrote:
Irasshaimase wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Hi Colinoscapee

I booked directly with the quarantine hotel. They were very helpful and this was by far the easiest part of the process (compared to getting the visa, entry approval and flight). I'm not really sure what an agent adds to the process other than extra charges.

Just curious: Did you ever actually do a direct price comparison between the price for booking directly with the hotel vs the price for booking through an agent?

devarj57

In April i stayed at the Saigon Hanoi Hotel in District 1. Very small room, bad food. @$90 per day. cheaper if room without a window. My friend stayed at the Alagon Hotel in D1 during the same time. Much better food, bigger room. He could exercise in the room @$100. 21 days is a long time. Spend a little extra for the comfort.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles