Menu
Expat.com

How to travel to Vietnam during the restrictions due to COVID 19?

Last activity 16 June 2021 by devarj57

GuestPoster3010

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reading my post. I have 2 questions regarding traveling to Vietnam during the pandemic.

# Question 1:
Here is my situation: I am a French citizen married to a Vietnamese citizen. The Vietnamese government recently allowed the relatives of Vietnamese citizen to enter the country.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a single airline flying to HCM nor Hanoi (note: I am flying from Los Angeles). I tried Cathay, Korean air, Asiana, Japan Airlines, ANA, EVA Air, Qatar, Etihad ... nothing. ANA has some flights in December but my guts tell me they will be cancelled just like the one I was supposed to take next week with EVA Air. Cathay has on its schedule fligts in January.

I read people are able to travel to VN, I am just wondering how.

#Question 2:
What about the housing for the quarantine? I could not find much information on how and where to reserve a lodging for the 14 days quarantine.

Has anybody arrived in Vietnam recently?

Thank you for your help!

GuestPoster3010

Is this related to blood relatives or by marriage.

GuestPoster3010

By marriage

GuestPoster3010

Do you have a link stating this, as I haven't seen anything relating to this.

SteinNebraska

There was a story recently that they were going to let in relatives of citizens but I have since read that has been rescinded.  Sorry I'm not going to try to dig up both citations but I have been following them looking for an opportunity to go back to US for a visit and then be able to return.  I haven't seen anything concrete.

GuestPoster3010

It is not an official link: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 62323.html but I contacted the Vietnamese Embassy in the US and they said I was allowed to travel to VN.

The only problem is finding a flight to go there. Mine just got cancelled.

Budman1
San2020 wrote:

It is not an official link: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietn … 62323.html but I contacted the Vietnamese Embassy in the US and they said I was allowed to travel to VN.

I wouldn't do this based on a phone conversation, which I think gave you wrong information, but here goes. Try booking a flight to Tokyo or Seoul without a connecting flight to Saigon from the USA. Then a separate booking with one of the VN airlines that are operating flights out of both airports back to Saigon. I've seen at least two that are a few times a week, still think you got some bad information, but good luck.

Rick

GuestPoster3010

"The ministry had proposed that passengers allowed entry includes Vietnamese citizens, foreigners carrying diplomatic and official passports, experts, business managers, high-skilled workers, investors, and their family members."

Its not overly clear, I have a feeling it is family members of those mentioned, not expats married to a VN citizen.

GuestPoster3010

Great, I will try. Thank you

danrodri

Hi, seems I am one the few ones who managed to come in. My status: expert. Now, what colinoscapee writes is correct, in principle, those are allowed to enter BUT they still need to receive individual permit. So, its not just that you are expert and a company wants you so you just can walk in to your linking. Not at all. The government will put you on waiting list and process you at THEIR liking. My company was trying to get me in since June. Once you got permit from immigration, which, as far as I understand, must be processed in VN (not the VN embassy in your country) you can then move on to process quarantine hotel and so on. So, for you, my best advice is get someone in VN of your wife's family (or your wife?) to go physically to immigration in VN and tell them your case and ask how to do to get the paperwork to get you in. The trickiest part is to get the entry permit from immigration VN in VN. Hope it helps.

OceanBeach92107
Budman1 wrote:
San2020 wrote:

I wouldn't do this based on a phone conversation, which I think gave you wrong information, but here goes. Try booking a flight to Tokyo or Seoul without a connecting flight to Saigon from the USA. Then a separate booking with one of the VN airlines that are operating flights out of both airports back to Saigon. I've seen at least two that are a few times a week, still think you got some bad information, but good luck.

Rick

I vote for Rick's answer 😎👍

pppham40

Hi San2020, didn't see this message when I replied to "Only 5 days quarantine" topic.  I hope you had the chance to review the topic.   Many great links to validate some statements in this topic.   Can I assumed you have all requires paper works i.e. VISA?

SteinNebraska
Budman1 wrote:

Rick

I think I am recalling this correctly, but I am not positive, that for the flights that you are talking about you had to be in that originating country for 14 days before your final new flight to VN.  It would be wise to check before booking.

pppham40

Rick, you are suggesting a very dangerous booking in this abnormal time..... in the past (pre-covid) your recommendations is very legit.  But, today situation "Self-Transfer" is something one must validate with the airport at port of entry if they are allowed it.

GuestPoster3010

Did he manage to get a ticket?
And did his company do the paperwork for him? The more I research the more I realize I have no chance of going there

GuestPoster3010

Do a search on arrivals at Saigon and Ha Noi airports, you will see very few internatiinal flights arriving.

Budman1
colinoscapee wrote:

Do a search on arrivals at Saigon and Ha Noi airports, you will see very few internatiinal flights arriving.

That's a short list for Saigon Airport. I'm sure Hanoi is the same:

https://www.ho-chi-minh-airport.com/tan … terminal-2

Rick

GuestPoster3010
Budman1 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

That's a short list for Saigon Airport. I'm sure Hanoi is the same:

https://www.ho-chi-minh-airport.com/tan … terminal-2

Rick

True, most of the international flights had "cancelled" written underneath them.

danrodri

I came in with Malaysia Airways two weeks ago. FINALLY OUT OF QUARANTINE!! First day of freedom smile.png

GuestPoster3010

After following your journey in quarantine, it felt so long, happy for you to finally enjoy your freedom!

Btw, did your company book the ticket for you? What special paperwork did you need besides proving your expertise? I can't find much information on the paperwork needed. Thank you

pppham40

@San2020, so much discussion and more confusion, right?   For my case and during this ABNORMAL TIME, so let me breakdown for everyone: 

Working in VN
1.  30 days prior to recruiting a foreign employee (the entity must publicly announce recruitment for this position to Vietnamese job seekers in a Vietnamese newspaper or online portal.  Evidence of this announcement must be presented), your company must prove that local people plus experts in the country cannot do the job that they posted.
2.  Once approved, the company then can apply for VISA
3.  Once Visa approved, the company then can file for work permit providing they met all local requirements i.e health certificate, duration, salary etc....
4.  Once work permit approved, the company can apply for temporary residence card if they choose to do so (for long haul position)

For the individual to help the company with the above process:
1.  Have all of your required docs. i.e diploma, certificates,  health certificate, criminal records etc.... notorized, certified by state department, and legalized by the VN embassy.
2.  A manager, executive director or expert with technical skills and knowledge necessary for the job

Enter the country:  Again, for this abnormal time and visa on arrival has already approved as mentioned above. 

1. Three to seven days before entering Vietnam, a test report:  SARS-CoV-2 was tested on through real-time PCR technology.  SARS-CoV-2 testing must be performed in a government-approved laboratory or part of the World Health Organization laboratory system
2. International health insurance is required to enter experts
Institutions or organizations that invite experts promise to pay for COVID-19 treatment.  Of course, your company should provide this
3.Passport, 2 photos of 4*6 cm white background
4. 14 days Quarantine for long stay in approved hotel by the health department and has been registered/paid by the company in advance.

Getting there e.g. VIETNAM (for this abnormal time):   Very limited number of flights and number per week per 6 countries vietnam just opened as of Sept 15 (Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Lao etc...).  Don't forget their are limited number of approved quarantine hotels for foreigners, thus the number related to the number of flights and amount of people can/will enter the country.
For me after 3 exhausting months of booking/rebooking due to cancelation (mainly to the last connection to VN), My suggestions for you is to ask HR (in my case) contact the carrier/their agents to book the ticket for you .  Also, there are flights (Houston/DC) that sponsored by Vietnam to bring Vietnamese citizens trapped oversea or special cases.... you might want to ask your wife to call the embassy in DC for the schedules

Additional info
Commercial airlines that still operate flights between Vietnam and the world:

Vietnam Airlines
Phone:  1900 1100 (calling from Vietnam)
Phone:  +84 (24) 3832 0320 (calling from outside Vietnam)

Japan Airlines
Phone:  +84 (28) 3842 3362 (HCMC)
Phone:  +84 (24) 3787 2020 (Hanoi)

All Nippon Airways
Phone:  +84 (28) 3821 9612 (HCMC)
Phone:  +84 (24) 3926 2808 (Hanoi)

Korean Air
Phone:  +84 (28) 3824 2878-80 (HCMC)
Phone:  +84 (24) 3934 7247 (Hanoi)

Asiana Airlines
Phone:  +84 (28) 3822 2665 (HCMC)
Phone:  +84 (24) 3771 4094 (Hanoi)
Phone:  +84 (24) 3771 1374 (Hanoi)

Qatar Airways
Phone: +84 (28) 3827 3888 (HCMC)

Eva Air
Phone: +84 (24) 3936 1600 (Hanoi)
Phone: +84 (28) 3822 4488 (HCMC)
Phone: +84 (236) 3555 588 (Da Nang)

Cathay Pacific
Phone: +84 (28) 3822 3203 (HCMC)

China Airlines
Phone: +84 (24) 3936 6364 (Hanoi)
Phone: +84 (28) 5414 1008 (HCMC)

Airport Contact Information:

Hanoi – Noi Bai International Airport
Phone:  +84 24 3886 5047

Ho Chi Minh City – Tan Son Nhat International Airport
Phone: +84 28 3848 5383

Da Nang – Da Nang International Airport
Phone: +84 (236) 3539 555

GuestPoster3010

@danrodri:

Were you able to choose which hotels to go to on arrival?

@pppham40

Thank you for all these info, unfortunately, I am not being sent by a company and won' travel for work.
I called all these airlines and none are flying commercial flights to VN ...

I am in touch with the embassy to see if I can hop on a charter flight but my hopes are very low.

pppham40

So, after 4 months of agony with paper works and find the flights to VN.  Yep, I am in VN now.  This is my first quarantine day.

@san2020, I am sorry to hear.  For your case, I think it's best to get your wife to get someone in VN to sponsor and request for the visa (if you really want to get in the country today).  The Covid situation is not getting any better world wide and if you can wait, I strongly suggest to wait.

GuestPoster3010
pppham40 wrote:

So, after 4 months of agony with paper works and find the flights to VN.  Yep, I am in VN now.  This is my first quarantine day.

@san2020, I am sorry to hear.  For your case, I think it's best to get your wife to get someone in VN to sponsor and request for the visa (if you really want to get in the country today).  The Covid situation is not getting any better world wide and if you can wait, I strongly suggest to wait.

I very much doubt a spouse will be getting a visa to enter VN at this time.

pppham40

Can you elaborate more about spouse situation?  Spouse as the OP case or spouse for the expert, business investor etc....?

GuestPoster3010

@pppham40

I am a French citizen just married to my spouse who is Vietnamese. I am not a diplomat nor an expert. But I read that I am allowed to go back to VN in the newspaper.

How were you able to fly to Vietnam? Which airline company?

GuestPoster3010
San2020 wrote:

@pppham40

I am a French citizen just married to my spouse who is Vietnamese. I am not a diplomat nor an expert. But I read that I am allowed to go back to VN in the newspaper.

How were you able to fly to Vietnam? Which airline company?

I think you need to contact your wife and get her to contact immigration, that way you may believe her. As it stands, spouses of VN citizens are not allowed to enter. I think you are referring to the article which you posted before about family members, you do not fall into that category.

GuestPoster3010

This is from the Viet Nam travel advisory.

"From March 22 until further notice, Vietnam has temporarily suspended entry for all foreign nationals. Vietnam will not be issuing visas or allowing entry to any travellers at this time, including those who already hold visas or visa exemptions. Only Vietnamese nationals, foreigners on diplomatic or official business, and highly skilled workers allowed to enter the country at this time. Anyone entering Vietnam must undergo medical checks and 14-day quarantine upon arrival."

pppham40

Thanks for the clarification.  As you know, what we post today or even as I type.... info can change.  As me how I know.   

I was on the connection from ICN to HAN yesterday.  4 marries couple and their children (diplomat - US, expert-France, and 2 with identical situation from the OP - did'd asked their origin) were able to obtain visa on arrival just like me.

GuestPoster3010
pppham40 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  As you know, what we post today or even as I type.... info can change.  As me how I know.   

I was on the connection from ICN to HAN yesterday.  4 marries couple and their children (diplomat - US, expert-France, and 2 with identical situation from the OP - did'd asked their origin) were able to obtain visa on arrival just like me.

The OP states he is in the USA, this is one of the high risk countries.

At the end of the day, getting his wife to contact immigration in VN will clear everything up.

pppham40

You are correct at the right amount of money:  contact the immigration is the right choice, but good luck.   But with the right people and money contact the immigration is a better choice.  Ask me how I know.

GuestPoster3010
pppham40 wrote:

You are correct at the right amount of money:  contact the immigration is the right choice, but good luck.   But with the right people and money contact the immigration is a better choice.  Ask me how I know.

Why "good luck", Im not saying to bribe them, Im talking about asking the current laws pertaining to spouses. I think he will find he can't enter, as per many other spouses stuck overseas.

BigTraveler
San2020 wrote:

But I read that I am allowed to go back to VN in the newspaper.

I remember I read that in an article about the 6 countries allowed to resume commercial flights (Cambodia, China, Laos, Japan...). I'm not sure it will change something from Europe or USA.
Anyway, it's theoretically possible, if you have your wife in Vietnam to do all formalities with the ministries and People's commitee, but it can takes months.

GuestPoster3010

"Anyway, it's theoretically possible, if you have your wife in Vietnam to do all formalities with the ministries and People's commitee, but it can takes months."

Just wondering where you obtained that information?

pppham40

Yep, it will takes months for sure.  if you in VN is still quicker via phone and face-to-face.  But if you are in the US here is the process directly from the embassy. 
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/vi/tin-tu … ong-mai-do

I know is all in Vietnamese you can using google translate and get the idea.

BigTraveler
colinoscapee wrote:

Just wondering where you obtained that information?

A French did it, he explained how in the French forum: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=903008

mresdi

Try fly to Singapore for transit, there is one flight a week to Hanoi from Singapore. I arrived in Hanoi last Sept through that flight. Cost is slightly higher.

My boss (British) going to UK this week through Singapore, Germany and UK for his Holiday.

ctta2020
pppham40 wrote:

My host organization in VN is currently processing paperwork for my visa and quarantine.  I know if I get approved with the visa, then I'll need to find a flight.  So far, of the flights I have booked, they both were cancelled by the airlines due to the last left from Seoul or Tokyo to Hanoi being cancelled (Asiana Air and Delta/Vietnam Airlines).  When I search for commercial flights, they are far and few between until about January. 

PPPHAM40, where did you fly from?  I'll be flying from the U.S. to Vietnam.  I was thinking that once I get issued the expert visa then I will have a more realistic chance to find a flight with the help of the VN Embassy and my host organization.  All the information I am getting from this thread has been helping me know the pathway more clearly.

Also, I was told by my host organization than I will need to go to the VN Embassy to pick up my visa once it is issued.  But I read in PPPHAM40's post, that you, along with those other folks, got your visas upon arrival?  Can you share more about your process?

Many thanks!!

pppham40

[Post under review]

pppham40

[Post under review]

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles